ChicagoToTheRockies map; full Scenario Objectives and more!

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
choobacca

Re: cant play

Post by choobacca » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:44 pm

Slappy Da Clown wrote:Hey guys

Put this one on with the new installer. Plays well for a bit then ctd. CTD from the save also. Thats 2 maps that wont play since I put on the santa map with the new installer. When I put santa on I emptied the custom assest folder 1st. Am I missing something guys ?

Slappy
The installer for this map is on the first post as I posted it, not atani.

I haven't seen any more crashes with this map than normal game crashes, but I'll have another look.

gforce

Post by gforce » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:42 pm

i believe that alot of ctd are comming from the fact, there's not an local_event_file used,
In the event_list there may be only those goods that you have in your map... (not all of them, fe footballs), but surely not use the global_events file wich contains fe steel, wich is not used...
I've got no crashes anymore on my scenario, never, never, never 1 crash! try this out...
and let me know if it helped... (i didn't read or checked once more the map and your files)
but i wanted to state out this remark, because for me it was really the solution to all of my problems (while thinking, maybe because of a frowth, maybe becuase of iturns maybe because of...)
:wink:

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestion gforce. I never thought of removing unused events.

owenmcc1

Post by owenmcc1 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:02 am

After 3 Minutes, it crashes. Can you do something about this?

Warll

Post by Warll » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:29 am

Did you use the installer? What is your computers specs? XP or Vista? Auto-Save on or off?

karsten

Post by karsten » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:01 am

owenmcc1, that sounds to me, as gforce suggests, like a random event crashing you. To check this, enable the log and check the last line logged before the crash. If the last line says "randomevent", you have confirmed your culprit. :idea:
To fix this, you could try to open and save the standard global RRT_events.xml file of SMR, giving it a current timestamp.
Hope this helps.

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:10 am

owenmcc1,
Karsten is right. I think it had something to do with an event. I removed the map's Events xml file from the installer, so please try version 1.3 of the map's installer.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:40 pm

It would be hard for the Events.xml to be a problem as the original maps use it unedited. There is no GLOBAL for Events, and so far, none has been needed for any maps. Mid_East and AZCanyon are the only 2 that have Events.xml in the download. The easiest way to check this would be to put those two folders somewhere in a Hold folder on the first or second drive, outside of Documents and Settings. Also, Events are random, so the same one would not show up at the same time.

Is this a clean load of the game? Have you done any changes? Have you cleaned your system?
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:52 pm

While I haven't played around with the Events xml files, I just know that when I had a local Events_mymap.xml file, the map would crash after 8-10 minutes. I removed the file and the game ran fine. And this was the only map I had installed, so there were no other Events files in my CustomAssets directory.
I will have to go back and read the Events research that has already been done.

karsten

Post by karsten » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:10 pm

The random events are not all that random, as you can see from this experiment I ran, in this case the event occurred approx. every 14 years and had a duration of 10 years. This was tested in a game running on its own, I have not checked whether results would be any different if there is activity on the map. The "random" possibly indicates a "random" seed which will determine the event interval, in a given game my experience is that a random event will crash a saved game at exactly the same moment every time you replay it.

I had high hopes of being able to do something useful with events after all. And the fact that you can nail them in the log when they have crashed the game is also quite helpful. Nevertheless, more research is needed. :?
Attachments
Random event.jpg
Random event.jpg (54.12 KiB) Viewed 9460 times

philbo7

Post by philbo7 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:07 pm

I find this very frustrating. I am trying to get 30 carloads of people to Denver and have dual rail to Denver from Chicago. The most both trains will pick up (5 carriages each) from Chicago is two car loads. No way will the game let me make the requirement! Spoling what could be a lot of fun.

ZanzerTem

Post by ZanzerTem » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:34 pm

Try using the "Wait until full" option on your trains :wink:

Look for a checkbox in the lower corner when picking a stop. And why do you only have 5 cars? You should have 8 passenger cars with the wait until full option on.

Big Papa

Post by Big Papa » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:55 pm

philbo7,

This is my method of routing multiple trains. I use triple track passing sidings. (local econ is assumed to gain money before these steps)

* First I place my single track between the desired cities, in this case Chicago and Denver.
* Then I build 1 train starting at Chicago in route to Denver.
* Next I go approximately halfway and build a passing track greater than the maximum train length (all passing tracks must be longer than the longest train)
* Build 1 more train starting in Chicago in route to Denver.
* Go back to the halfway passing siding, create a passing track on the opposite side of the one you just created, staggered so the end of the new one ends beyond the end of the older siding on one end and shorter on the other.
* Repeat this triple passing pattern at least 2 more time at other half way points following the same rules.
Add train at Chicago after finishing each triple passing track.
* Add a track to each station (do not have any other train route interfere with this track work, including at stations).

*** There is a maximum number of trains this pattern will support, going over the limit will cause a lock up. I had 6 trains in this example running back and forth between Chicago & Denver with 4 sets of triple passing sections. If there is a lock up, review and delete the problem train.

Give it a try,

Big Papa
Attachments
Chicago.jpg
Chicago.jpg (62.96 KiB) Viewed 9274 times
Chicago-west.jpg
Chicago-west.jpg (33.18 KiB) Viewed 9273 times
Denver.jpg
Denver.jpg (76.86 KiB) Viewed 9273 times
Denver-east.jpg
Denver-east.jpg (87.1 KiB) Viewed 9273 times
Tri-pass1.jpg
Tri-pass1.jpg (34.59 KiB) Viewed 9273 times

Big Papa

Post by Big Papa » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:58 pm

More triple pass pictures

Big Papa
Attachments
Tri-pass2.jpg
Tri-pass2.jpg (62.41 KiB) Viewed 9268 times
Tri-pass3.jpg
Tri-pass3.jpg (100.51 KiB) Viewed 9268 times
Tri-pass4.jpg
Tri-pass4.jpg (99.79 KiB) Viewed 9269 times

dwax

Post by dwax » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:52 am

But do the trains always take a wrought that there will be no on coming train?? or get stopped by another train in front of it? I have that problem, I just call them stupid trains. :P :lol: