New England

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:58 pm

atani wrote:Its not intended as a "kick to the head" really.
I know, just kicking. I mean kidding. Sorry, gotta headache :shock:
atani wrote:I am still not sure whats up with the fisheries in this map though... Does it sorta work with the latest installer?
Ain't figured that one either. If noone can get them working I guess one or more maps could be done with the annexes placed. Just need some ideas for good placement with added challenge of victories. Anyone with ideas but don't want to program, do a screen shot and use a paint program to put color coded dots for placement and I'll work it up.
kenster wrote:I think the reason the fish don't work is do to the water level. On the new map I mad all the water the same level by painting the grayscale in photoshop.
I leveled all the sea bottom, gave the shore a sharp edge, even ran the water all around the map....no go. Question, is it me or do the fish in all the maps seem to appear in the same place even tho they're not set as to location? In Paf-daddys Germany map, I always get them in the same place. (see the screen shot) They are not placed.

One thing to watch for is starter cities in the valleys and mountains. There is one that stars with the tracks going up the side of the mountain. A 90 degree turn would help. If I edit this one any more, I'll adjust that for you.
Attachments
Fishy3.jpg
Fishy3.jpg (27.42 KiB) Viewed 9339 times
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Kenster

Post by Kenster » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:26 pm

Hi all,

I've been very busy with real life lately. I have some major repairs on the house that need my "spear time". So it will take a bit longer than I had hoped on to get the new bigger New England map finished.. :o

My best guess would be 3-4 weeks.

Thanks for your patients..

Ken

Amazing Ronaldo

Post by Amazing Ronaldo » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:35 pm

I really like this map!! Aside from the fisheries not showing up everything else seemed to be great. I played the map for the first time last night and though I wound up in the middle of the mountains of Vermont, I made do and really had a lot of fun with the map.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to the new version. Hopefully the fisheries will work correctly in the new version. :)

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:28 pm

Don't know if this will help but I was playing around with Cage's Styx map, about the red/purple water issue, and when I raised the sea floor to 40, four Fisheries poped up in the same location every time I loaded the map. So you might want to play around with the ocean floor level to see how that effects Fishery placement.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:24 pm

I loaded Styx and had blue water....was I short changed??? Also, I had the fisheries.....

I lowered the water level is this map along the shore, and then the whole ocean, and then added ocean all around the map edge.....no fisheries. But all is not lost, add the Port and the Distribution Point, change the Manufactured Goods to Fish and the Box Cars to refrigerated Food Cars, and you can import fish from the LM2 map, all you need there is a Port to ship the Fish from.... :lol:

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:13 am

Sumthin smells fishy to me ;) but hey, if we have containers I can live with it :lol:

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:49 am

snoop, that's really odd that you didin't get the red/purple water. :?

Also notice that I RAISED the ocean floor from 0 to 40 so maybe raising the ocean floor where you WANT Fisheries and making sure it is 0 in places where you don't want Fisheries. Although some testing is needed to see if there are specific ocean floor levels that do different things.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:18 am

It's like Germany Deluxe, the fisheries in that map are not placed, but turn up in the exact same place every time. And it's not in the ocean, it's in the rivers. Maybe it is a depth thing..

d53642

Post by d53642 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:14 pm

snoopy55 wrote:No, Kenster edited it himself when it was made noted to him that the fisheries wouldn't show. I just spent 1 1/2 Hrs trying to figure out why and I lost to the map. I deepend the water, ran water all around the edge of the map, checked all the XMLs (found errors, see below) but them Fish just won't show up. Some 'Don't Kill The Fish' group or something???
Hey Snoop,

The reason a lot of my maps had pre-placed industries is because the fish didn't want to show on a lot of maps. The canneries will show but nothing you can take to them.

Daryl

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:12 pm

Daryl - yes, that is a way to get them with a map like this, but it's kinda like playing solitare with the cards the same way every time, after a while you know what to do and when to do it. Good idea tho.

Dr Frag - I should probaly know this, but I've been kept awake by this nasty game not wanting to give me an easy time... how do you change the water level they way you did?

d53642

Post by d53642 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:07 pm

Shorelines are not suppose to be deep, most of Firaxis shorlines are just river depth water, some are right at the water land borderline in a lot of places.

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:24 pm

snoopy, you don't actually change the water level but rather the terrain height. The water level stays at a constant 48/49. I'm sure you understand that but I thought it was an important distinction to make clear.

I think what I did there (and what I usually do when I want to mess with water areas) is use the Wand tool with some Tolerance set and select the water area playing with the Tolerance until I get the water area selected up to around the 45 level. Then I can adjust the Brightness/Contrast & maybe some Blur to smooth things out if needed.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue May 01, 2007 3:39 am

OK, gotcha. But it still comes to a question of what is up with these fisheries? If you run Germany Deluxe, no matter how many times you play it, they come up in the exact same place. Evey other Industry may move, but not those fisheries. And the rivers are deep. They never show up at the ocean. But in New England map, no matter how much you play with the water levels, no Fisheries.

d53642

Post by d53642 » Tue May 01, 2007 8:36 am

Yeah I talked to Dan about that before Snoop. They never got around to the point of making the maps work the same for us. Either you place on industry or none. His team was broken up before he could address another patch. He was hoping for 1 more editor patch and 1 more game patch before he was hoping they would end the support for the game.

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Wed May 02, 2007 5:30 am

I've been playing with this map a bit and I've got Fisheries popping up somewhat randomly. I think it also might have something to do with the location of nearby towns.

I was not able to get any Fisheries untill I lowered the ocean floor though.