Side to Side

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:25 am

dwax - go into \CustomAssets\XML and open RRT_TrainCars.xml. Do a search for Box Car . It should be there. Then go into \CustomAssets\XML\_SCENARIOS_ and open the Side To Side map. Open RRT_TrainCars_sides.xml and do a search for Box Car again. You should find this:

Code: Select all

<TrainCar>
      <szName>Box Car</szName>
      <szGood>Jelly</szGood>
    </TrainCar>
I just cleared mine and downloaded the latest installer and it's all there. Ran it and made Jelly and loaded it onto a Box Car, sending it on its way.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

dwax

Post by dwax » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:29 pm

There was no RRT_TrainCars_sides.xml in the map folder :lol: I suppose thats why i couldn't haul any jelly :lol: put it in the folder an don't have any problem now. :)

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:32 pm

G3mInI,
I see your point about separating maps from mods, but I think maps and their mods need to be in one package so the user doesn't have to go searching for the mods to play the map. But it would also be a good idea for mods to be available separately so you don't have to install a map to use a mod for your own map. (did I say that correctly? :) )

I have been avoiding this problem with my own maps by always including all the mods needed by the individual map in the installer so the user can do one install and play.

But to your point, I am willing to post installers for individual mods I have written.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:02 pm

choobacca - getting of mods for map making without having to have a map you don't want is only a 4 step process, download the Installer, unzip it, install it, delete the map file. Mods installed. If atani can add the ability for the Installer to update a TXT file, one could be made listing the mods available along with whatever else is thought to be needed. All of this is to help keep HD space used to a minimum and for ease of use. Along with the forms I have for what is needed to do what, it becomes alot easier to map.

dwax - How the H**L did you run any trains without that file :?: :?: :?: . The Scenario XML requires it. You must have a magicical system or you have 2 copies of Side To Side in your _SCENARIOS_. If it's the latter, keep the one you just added the file to and get rid of the other.

dwax

Post by dwax » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:06 pm

I don't know how it ran with out that file. :lol: but I don't have two copy's of Side To Side,just one. :)

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:25 pm

snoopy55 wrote:choobacca - getting of mods for map making without having to have a map you don't want is only a 4 step process, download the Installer, unzip it, install it, delete the map file. Mods installed.
Snoopy,
I agree. Going through the extra work of posting the mods separately might not be worth the trouble for saving the step of deleting the map directory. Besides, this would only be useful to map makers, and they usually have a handle on doing these things manually and don't need the extra hand-holding.

One thing I need to do more of is spell out the different mods included with the maps, and maybe include xml snippets that map-makers like you can quickly reference to add things to your maps so you don't have to go digging in the globals. I will do this for our next map.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:06 pm

On my original post for this map I included what I had made so atani could do the Installer more easily. I don't know how elll it helped, but i'm guessing he needed it.

atani

Post by atani » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:23 pm

snoopy55 wrote:On my original post for this map I included what I had made so atani could do the Installer more easily. I don't know how elll it helped, but i'm guessing he needed it.
I used the various snippets in the original zip to create the installer.

Once I get the new SMR tools working I will have a mode which generates the MapInfo.txt file which lists the dependencies. After that it is a simple matter of generating the NSIS macro stuff as well.

Mike

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:55 pm

Snoopy and Atani,
Would the attached files be useful to include with maps so map makers can quickly see and use new mods?
Attachments
XMLsnippetsForChoobaccaMods.zip
XML snippets for new mods
(2.68 KiB) Downloaded 391 times

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:58 pm

Yes choobacca, those are wonderful. Not only do they have info other modders might need but they show that you do not mind others using your mods as part of their Scenario.

Thank You

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:32 am

I don't know, call me selfish, but the Globals have the needed info, information is on the way as to what can be changed and how, the stripped XMLs I wrote up need only have unused items deleted, and the XML association TXT I wrote up gives you a listing of what you have to have to do what. Your still opening files, copying and pasting, and hoping you get it all in the right place. And if the stripped XMLs are put in place of the Editor XMLs, most everything can be done from there.

No offense guys, just my thoughts. :idea:

Tazz

Re: Side to Side

Post by Tazz » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:37 am

Added working map, Installer and 2 SAM versions to first post.

Bwana

Post by Bwana » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Tazz wrote:Added working map, Installer and 2 SAM versions to first post.
When I try to play the installer version I get a CTD.
And both SAM versions crash when you try to unload Automobiles in Grace :( .

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:04 pm

The Installer version may crash if it requires certains other maps to be loaded first. This was one of the reasons that the GLOBAL style became a problem. Every map that had new Mods added to the GLOBAL input and all of it was loaded each time you played any map, even if it didn't need it. This caused a memory overload and possible crash, depending on the size of your machine.

As to the SAM versions... that is odd. A crash happens when the game is told to do something and it is missing parts. In the case of the automobiles, it would have to be missing that TrainCar (which can't be the problem since that is an original item). But to crash at 'unloading'.....that is odd. Even if the Good is not needed there, the map would not crash. When you set up the run it would throw a fit, but you could still run it......

I'll get my testers to run it again, and gee, maybe I'll even play it....ain't played a map in a long time......... :wink:

mikeyc

Post by mikeyc » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:35 am

Is someone completely and utterly brain-dead. Two chunks of the original map plus two chunks for the SAM at the beginning of this thread. There has already been a discussion on confusion, why add fuel to the fire. Surely Tazz can add some instruction or explanation of what's on offer when the SAMs are moved to the thread.