Arizona Gold V2.4 PcMac

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
drsnooker

Post by drsnooker » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:10 pm

Great map. Hard as heck, but finally success!
Attachments
arizona.JPG
arizona.JPG (191.48 KiB) Viewed 12871 times

karsten

Post by karsten » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:55 pm

... and with lots of time and money to spare, I see, drsnooker! Glad you enjoyed the challenge. :P

G3mInI, the overlap bridge has been restored for the next version, and it even looks good when used with the terrain (see screenshot).
Attachments
Overpass bridge.jpg
Overpass bridge.jpg (694.39 KiB) Viewed 12855 times

vancouverexpress

Post by vancouverexpress » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:58 am

That was a great map! Thanks for sharing it with us. Very challenging - barely made it in easy - mogul.

drsnooker

Post by drsnooker » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:29 pm

Once you get through the wood to needles and passengers to ash fork life gets a lot easier....
Started in flagstaf, put a stockyard in williams, pricey but once it starts demanding passengers the money making machine is finally on track.

karsten

Post by karsten » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:21 am

I would like to draw attention to the fact that there are two global files in V1 of the map: tunnels and events. Currently this apears to be the only effective way to achieve modified behaviour from these two files, and many have suggested that modified events would be a good extention of the scenario possibilities.

In my experience, the global events file can be tricky to deinstall, however. If you have any issues with the game after deleting the AZCanyon folder (or moving it elsewhere), open and save the standard RRT_Tunnels.xml and RRT_events files, to give them current time stamps.

Gackbeard, Firaxis, wrote:
... the way our filesystem works is that the newer file takes precedence when two or more files conflict (have the same filename).
A potential problem could be that the game may not look for an older (standard) version of these files once the newer (modified) files have been removed. While I am not sure about this behaviour, it is a potential issue. In consequence, I will remove the two global files from Version 2 of the AZCanyon map as a safety precaution, until these issues are fully clarified.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:15 pm

karsten wrote:I would like to draw attention to the fact that there are two global files in V1 of the map: tunnels and events.
A potential problem could be that the game may not look for an older (standard) version of these files once the newer (modified) files have been removed.
First, refer to these as 'original' to avoid confusion with the Globals that have been created. If the use of the map name is included in the XML name, the problem is eliminated as far as Events.

The second item, if you remove a newer file, the game will find the next one in line as far as date.

As far asa I've seen, Tunnels is the only one with a 'I control it all' problem, IE, you cannot do a scenario specific XML with it.

As far as Events.xml, I've rewritten the events in the Mid East map to reflect Mid East happenings and they work, with the file maned RRT_Events_MID_EAST.xml.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

philbo7

Post by philbo7 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:29 am

Keeps CTD after about a minuite. :(

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:14 am

philbo7 - I know it may sound like a lot of work, but you may have to install all of the maps on the forum to make sure all the needed info is in the GLOBALS. Someone with experiance with XMLs and time may have to set up basic GLOBALS and install each map one at a time and test it. Then go back and remove the added items from the GLOBALS and go on to the next map.

No offense atani, we can't expect you to determine all this by yourself :wink:

philbo7

Post by philbo7 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:37 am

Placed it in user files as someone suggested earlier and it is now OK.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:40 pm

philbo7 - did you download the updated installer or is that the copy that crashed? Also, did you add any other maps to the lot?

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:10 am

Just finished it after many restarts; it's a challenging but fun map. The scenery is beautiful and I had to really plan ahead to get all the victory conditions done. Kudos on an excellent map. My only gripe about this map is the existance of paper- you can make it, but there's nothing you can do with it.

By the way, I've made new icons for the Military Base and Stock Exchange for my America map (as of posting this, I haven't posted the final patch that includes them, I'm waiting on one last thing.) Feel free to use them for your military base and bank if you so desire.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:31 am

Guess we need a graphics specialests to chop the globe off the Newspaper building and call it a Bank so we can put newspapers in the map 8)

karsten

Post by karsten » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:33 pm

Stormfather, thanks for your comments. I will check how your new buildings fit in once you have published them, thanks for the offer. :P

Snoopy, I am a minimalist - I would rather add one new element too few than one too many. Universum has suggested a neat fix to the paper problem, which I hope to include soon in Arizona V2. 8)

philbo7

Post by philbo7 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:38 am

philbo7 - did you download the updated installer or is that the copy that crashed? Also, did you add any other maps to the lot?
No I didn't download the installer I simply put the copy that crashed into the user files and it has worked without a problem.

Iam a new player and I can't get a start with the map. starting point was Ash fork. I need some help.

karsten

Post by karsten » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:19 am

Hi philbo, have a look here for excellent tips. Basically, you need to invest near Flagstaff to generate enough money to build all the way to Needles in the last few years of the first era. This symbolizes the real struggle the RR company and their engineers had with completing this connection, including the rush to success at the end :idea: