New England

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Kenster

Post by Kenster » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:48 am

kmcguirk wrote:
I grew up in Maine...If you're a CT flat lander....what's the deal with spelling New London with an E?
Oops :oops: typo. I'll have to change that when I make more changes.
I hope I treated Maine fairly. I was only there a few times back in the '60s when I was a kid.
This map is addictive but it keeps killing my machine. I've got 2 GB RAM and a 256 MB Memory Card.
Don't know why it does that but I really love running trains between Portland and Boston!!!
I'm not sure why you are having any trouble. My rig is 3.8 dual core, 1.5 Gigs RAM, 6800 256MB card. Does it CTD? and when? It did CTD two or three times on me in the beginning, but has been steady since. Some maps I've looked at will CTD were there are a lot of trees.
If anyone else has this problem please tell me.
Can you tweak that? My saved files are over 11mb. I can send you if you like.
I don't think your saved games will help me.
Keep up the good work. I live in Ohio now and playing this map brings me back to my childhood.

I'm planing on a bigger ver. of New England and a Scenario or two. It may take a while to spin these out. I work up in my attic with no heat, so weather permitting.

Ken

Rich72

Great Map!

Post by Rich72 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:26 pm

Being from CT, when I saw a New England map I knew I had to try it. I played a single player game last night against 2 bots. At first I thought it would be annoying with the towns so far apart but I think that added to the fun. I had some great bridges in the NH area and some other trains running through valleys between the hills.

Sweet map.

atani

Post by atani » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:51 am

attached is an installer for this map.
Attachments
Setup_New England_1.0a.zip
extract and run setup to install this map. (no pre-placed industries)
(537.52 KiB) Downloaded 1013 times
Last edited by atani on Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:27 pm

Something interesting happening.

I installed New England manually, and all worked except no fish.
Yesterday, I deleted it, and I used Atani's installer to put it back in.

Now I have the fish, but no other goods except mail and passengers.
There is no coal, ore, grain, wood. Nothing.

Any ideas?

Pete

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:30 pm

A change was made to the Industries XML that placed the Fisheries but placed no other Industry. The Game does not allow this, you place all or you place none. Maybe if Kenster can't or doesn't have the time, someone else will look into it and get the fisheries and the rest of the Industries working.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

atani

Post by atani » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:42 am

snoopy55 wrote:A change was made to the Industries XML that placed the Fisheries but placed no other Industry. The Game does not allow this, you place all or you place none. Maybe if Kenster can't or doesn't have the time, someone else will look into it and get the fisheries and the rest of the Industries working.
I have uploaded a modified version of the installer which removes all pre-placed industries, everything is now "random". Somewhere I ended up with a tweaked version of this file which was picked up for the installer and I did not notice it.

Mike

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:20 am

No, Kenster edited it himself when it was made noted to him that the fisheries wouldn't show. I just spent 1 1/2 Hrs trying to figure out why and I lost to the map. I deepend the water, ran water all around the edge of the map, checked all the XMLs (found errors, see below) but them Fish just won't show up. Some 'Don't Kill The Fish' group or something???

I took out all the Fish related stuff and got the Cornmeal related stuff working. He had parts of it in, and parts of it left out.

Kenster - If you'd rather not let the map I've got below out, just let me know and I'll delete it.
Attachments
New England.zip
(991.66 KiB) Downloaded 391 times

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:26 pm

Thank you gentleman.
Put in the new version with the installer, and all is great.

Mike.....Your installer system is working super for me.
Thanks a ton for your work.

Snoop.....You've been helping me since the beginning with this monster, and I appreciate all your efforts.
Tried to do the global thing when my drivers went crazy. Since I got back; I've been afraid to try it again.
But........I've got a system that works.
I just can't believe Fruxis left this thing to be sorted out by it's customers.
(Unless you guys work for them undercover.)

Thanks again
Pete

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:37 pm

Pete - I'm glad to hear you're back with us. The real fact is, after all the work done by us 'do it the hard way' guys, atani just whipped up a way to do the same thing using an automatic installer :!: I felt like I'd been kicked in the head, but, it does the job, it's using the same idea, it's easy and he's backing up what he's doing, along with making installers for all the existing maps. That's why I went thru and checked out the ones that had reports of trouble. At this time we have all of the maps that were submitted up and running with an installer. The only exception is this blasted New England map that don't accept Fish :cry: :cry:

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:01 am

snoopy55 wrote: The only exception is this blasted New England map that don't accept Fish :cry: :cry:
Fish stink anyway ;) :twisted:
But yeah....... New England surely does need fish as does the west coast. :)

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:51 am

I may try taking this thing and creating a map from it and then trying to get the fish to work. If I can do that, I'll start loading the original stuff back on till it works or the fish die...... :twisted:

atani

Post by atani » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:30 am

snoopy55 wrote:atani just whipped up a way to do the same thing using an automatic installer :!: I felt like I'd been kicked in the head, but, it does the job, it's using the same idea, it's easy and he's backing up what he's doing
Its not intended as a "kick to the head" really. It is mainly to allow people who are trying and failing at the "global" XML approach which works very nicely. I am very glad that this was devised and that it is working nicely for most people (using the installer or otherwise).

I am still not sure whats up with the fisheries in this map though... Does it sorta work with the latest installer?

Mike

Pete

Post by Pete » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:23 am

I am still not sure whats up with the fisheries in this map though... Does it sorta work with the latest installer?
What I'm getting now are places that want fish, but none are available.

It's no big deal.
The New England map is one of my favourites. (And BC Gold)

I (Like many others) had great frustration with this game in the beginning, but now with the larger maps and the work of a dedicated bunch; It's really coming around.

I really don't play with AI or chase scenerios.........Just enjoy building an empire.
In one of the other threads you guys were talking ages.
I'm almost 65.
Play every day, until my handlers take me back to my room for dinner.
If only I could remember where I left my teeth.

Thanks guys.
Pete

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:22 am

Pete - so that's why you had a hard time......... heck, with age and surgery on the brain, I forget what I forgot and why I needed to remember it in the fist place, where ever that was.......

You hit the problem on the head, it wants you to deliver fish, but doesn't give you a place to get them from. Now when D53642 gets his Containers working, we can import fish from over there in Britian, if You'll volenteer to ship them 8)

Kenster

Post by Kenster » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:53 am

Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't been around in a while..
I got busy with real life and then started playing BF2 with some of my old clan buddies..

Snoop, feel free to edit the map any way you want. 8)

I started a new bigger v. of New England and have the fisheries working good till I started adding more industries.

I think the reason the fish don't work is do to the water level. On the new map I mad all the water the same level by painting the grayscale in photoshop.

I plan on working on the new map again but it may take a few weeks, if not longer. I want to make some custom industries, but will ship out a map with just the stock (tweaked) industries if it takes to long.

What is it that you guys like about New England map as it is now? Is it the mountains packed close together with the deep valleys or something else?

Thanks for your input..
Ken