ChicagoToTheRockies map; full Scenario Objectives and more!

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
choobacca

ChicagoToTheRockies map; full Scenario Objectives and more!

Post by choobacca » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:03 am

This Custom/User Scenario has full Scenario Objectives, new good types, a new train car for hauling the new goods, a new Industry to process the new goods, new delivery incentives, and a few texture changes.

The map elevation and texturing is accurate, as well as the city and industry placement.

It is a large map with much to see and do.

Enjoy!

3/3/07: Attached setup file that installs files and XML updates automatically! (thanks to atani for putting this installer together)
v1.1 adds the Sears Tower to Chicago and has cleaner map XML files.

Enjoy...again!

3/6/07: v1.2 adds Beer Cask Car to RRT_TrainCars.xml in case you don't have it. Also adds Events.xml.

3/14/07: v1.3 removes Events.xml as it was causing more harm than good.

5/12/07: v1.4 Adds Tender cars to global XMLs if Mange's Tender Mod hasn't been installed.
Attachments
ChicagoToTheRockies_SAM.zip
(5.33 MiB) Downloaded 752 times
Setup_ChicagoToTheRockies_1.4.zip
ChicagoToTheRockies v1.4 installer
(5.75 MiB) Downloaded 3189 times
ChicagoToTheRockies.jpg
ChicagoToTheRockies.jpg (282.2 KiB) Viewed 16948 times
Last edited by choobacca on Sat May 12, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Kenster

Post by Kenster » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:06 am

Very nicely done map.

I ran this map without a major hitch till 1920. Met all the VC around 1917 on an easy level to test it out.

The only small thing I found is the milk farms don't show you were the grain fields are on the map. I think It did show it once okay, but then it didn't for the rest of the game. I'll have to play it again and see if it is working again.

I liked how you set up some of the things like (Feeding pigs produces more pigs), (Feeding cows produces more milk), (Feeding plants nitrates from manure produces more plants).
I hope you don't mind if I barrow some your XML for one of my next maps.

Ken

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:24 pm

Very nicely done map.
Thanks Kenster. My brother-in-law and I spent some time on it.
the milk farms don't show you were the grain fields are on the map. I think It did show it once okay, but then it didn't for the rest of the game.
I am not sure why you saw this problem or what could be done to fix it.
I liked how you set up some of the things like (Feeding pigs produces more pigs), (Feeding cows produces more milk), (Feeding plants nitrates from manure produces more plants).
I like delivery incentives because it gives you more options. "Do I want to process the grain at a food plant or let my cows eat it to produce more milk? (milk usually has a higher delivery profit)
I hope you don't mind if I barrow some your XML for one of my next maps.
I don't mind. I feel it is great to learn from each other to develop better maps.

DOOM

help

Post by DOOM » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:55 am

Hi, I am new here, I followed the information in the readme with the .zip file,. I had to make My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets\XML\_SCENARIOS_
part of the directory up, and when I tried to launch the game and selected the Chicago Scenario, it starts with the screen telling you a invention and then random persons history, then CTD.
Here are my specs
Shuttle PC
P4 3.73 Ghz 2 MB Cache with FSB running at 1071 Mhz
4 GB PC6400 DDR3, Running at 800Mhz
2 - 250 GB SATAII Harddrives Running RAID 0 - with 16 MB Cache in each.
The bandwidth is around 3Gb
PCI Express 256 MB Geforce 7600 GT

DOOM

Post by DOOM » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:56 am

Oh yes and I am Running Windows 64BIT. but game plays fine under normal game modes.

Big Papa

Post by Big Papa » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:24 am

Doom,
Install the holiday scenario http://www.2kgames.com/railroads/railroads.html
And Mange's tender mod
http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=32
Then add scenario to Custom Assets\XLM
Good Luck :D

DOOM

Post by DOOM » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:42 am

Big Papa - You rock, thanks dude.
Worked perfectly.

atani

Re: ChicagoToTheRockies map; full Scenario Objectives and mo

Post by atani » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:15 am

choobacca wrote:This Custom/User Scenario has full Scenario Objectives, new good types, a new train car for hauling the new goods, a new Industry to process the new goods, new delivery incentives, and a few texture changes.

The map elevation and texturing is accurate, as well as the city and industry placement.

It is a large map with much to see and do.

Enjoy!
Great map, plays very well. Some of the timings are a bit on the tougher side which is nice to see!

Completed all objectives by Aug 1920 with $107M net worth and over $46M in cash.

final scores:
Net Worth: 225
Objectives: 31
Prestige: 22
Total Score: 278

gforce

Post by gforce » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:36 pm

Great map! I hope this woill give a good example for further maps...
If i've got the time and try to make one myself...

gforce

Post by gforce » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:42 pm

gforce wrote:Great map! I hope this will give a good example for further maps...
If i've got the time i'll try to make one myself... so much good ideas but so less time to spent
------
Oh no, it crashed after 10min of play...

btw: it's not the only scenario that crashes...

any idea what went wrong?

btw: other default scenarios don't crash so often (1 time/10 scenarios)

Should i maybe run a program to clean memory from time to time?
any suggestions....

----
btw: i really enjoy your approach in this scenario...
Maybe it's better to generate less pigs etc when not provided with extra food etc...
less generate corn without extra shit...
is there an xml to control all of this?
----
ps: damn firaxis, don't you see this game could have so much more potential as used...
Go for it! in a next sid meier's railroads "2" or a patch, or give more source code so people like " choobacca" could make a great game, unfortunally we don't get a paycheck for all the real work....
-----

Keep up the good work guys this game depends on your inputs, adaptions, maps, etc...
Thanx alot....
"choobacca" rules! Give him a deserved applause!!! hip hip hoera!

DOOM

AI ISSUE with map.

Post by DOOM » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:12 pm

Hi I had to start game a lot to get to Chicago starting point and once there I surrounded the AI in Milwaukee, but he escaped a little. Then I noticed he has a glitch a few minutes, he has this train taking Food around and around and around for no reason, and no payment.
I think he was thinking he was near greenbay?

I am posting the saved game. Any ideas on how this can be fixed?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:47 pm

There is no fix for the actions of an AI! I've seen them take a full trainload of Food to an Oil Annex, dump it, and load up with 8 cars of Oil. Look at it this way, if he's just running in circles, he ain't making no money :twisted:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

jazman

Post by jazman » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:41 pm

HI
I am new here but thanks for the great map.
Crashes occasionaly but could be down to my system as others have.

I've been trying myself but keep having problems.

Ah well.

ps love the idea of increasing the production rates.

:D

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:25 am

Thanks for many of your compliments. Your kind words encourage us to add more of the same to our new maps.

In response to some of the crashing issues, my advice is, you need at least 1GB RAM for this game. More is always better.
If your game is crashing after playing for a while, try increasing your paging file space. (Control Panel->System, Advanced tab, Performance Settings button, Advanced tab, Virtual Memory Change button.) Increase the Max Size to 1.5GB or higher. Windows uses a paging file to virtually increase your RAM, only on your much slower hard drive.
And make sure your video card drivers are up to date.

If the game crashes while it is still loading a scenario, this is usually an indication that there is a problem with an XML file or a custom asset that won't load correctly. The same reasons apply to crashes right as train cars are getting ready to load for the first time. We have learned (and are still learning) many lessons creating maps for Railroads that we could write a book.

The game rarely crashes on me when playing, even though my system is about 4 years old. Of course I have to keep the video settings low which stinks, but at least I can complete games 95% of the time without crashes.

My humble computer specs are:
P4 1.9GHz
1 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB
1.5 GB Paging file

I run the game at 1024x768 and graphics settings at Medium or lower.

In the meantime, we will continue to develop maps and play test your maps, so let's keep them coming!
Last edited by choobacca on Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwax

Post by dwax » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:49 am

This map ROCKS!! It even has my home town in it! :) Thanks for all the hard work you put into this! :)