How much do you bid on auctions

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
jeffw

How much do you bid on auctions

Post by jeffw » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:21 pm

I think I have most of the game figured out, but I'm stumped when it comes to bidding on auctions, for industries or patents.

When the computer (I only play against the computer) tries to buy something should I let him have it or should I bid a few times just to make sure that he doesn't get it too cheap. And when I want something, I always try to outbid the computer, after all I wanted it, but does the computer ever bid it up so high that it isn't worth it?

And how much are the patents worth? I know its going to depend on whether you're going to need to tunnel or build lots of bridges, or whether you're going to be hauling perishable goods, but is there some quick way to come up with a value for it? (I see from other posts that the lube patent is probably worth bidding as much as you can for it).

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:32 pm

If you are putting goods into an industry and taking them out, go for it. If you're not sure what is happening cause you didn't start it, hit the speed button twice and go look at the industry. If he's feeding it and extracting from it, go after it :twisted: . One of two things will happen, either he will keep it up and you'll make money or he'll stop putting goods into it and he won't make money. Also, look ahead on your own part. If you want to make wine, figure out where you're going to take it, then start the auction. Either he will not bid or bid very little. Then when you get it, lay your track and ship! :twisted: . Mind you, there are exceptions, but try it that way.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

chuffinheck

Post by chuffinheck » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:14 pm

When the computer player bids on an industry in a town that only I supply to I let him have it then stop supplying to that town :twisted:

ux-3

Post by ux-3 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:13 pm

chuffinheck wrote:When the computer player bids on an industry in a town that only I supply to I let him have it then stop supplying to that town :twisted:
Remember, computer players feel no anger - there is no fun in this strategy!

jeffw

Post by jeffw » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:18 pm

None of this is helping me decide how high to bid in the auction. When you decide that you want an industry, do you just keep bidding until you get it, or you run out of cash?

And what about patents? Are there any that aren't worth bidding on?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:01 am

I keep bidding on industries till I run out of cash, otherwise, why start?

As to Patents, that depends on the map. For instance, Hill Vally doesn't need bridges or tunnles, so why bother. If I can cut my track cost by 25% or maintenance cost in half for 10 years, I'll go for it. If I don't have any Passenger cars or I'm not running food, I'll not bother with those. What are you doing and what will help you. A bridge can cost hundreds, and 25% of $1,500 in bridges is $375. Tunnels work the same. you have to figure it out yourself.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

grover

Post by grover » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:43 am

I always thought the AI were pretty easy to outbid, you can usually scare them off pretty quickly.
I dont think you should ever let the AI win an auction.

Industries are always worth paying a lot for. I wouldn't be scared off till it gets to $600,000+

Multiplayer games are something different though.
You need to learn early on if your opponents are weak or soft bidders.

If they never bid more than 200,000, they're soft bidders and you should win every auction.

If they have to win regardless ($500,000 +), you MUST learn to leave them alone and dont bid on any industries again.

Buy your own industries instead
a) You can put them as close as you want, and can earn a fortune. Shorter good routes = more money
b) You'll never pay more than $500,000
c) If they must win every auction, you can sometimes sucker them into paying a lot of money for Industries that a not making any money.
d) Bidding wars that take to long are a waste of time that could be spent expanding your empire. If 2 players are locked in a "i must win " bidding war, they can waste minutes of game time that another player spent expanding.
e) If you lose an auction, build the same industry they just bought closer to the source, and steal their supplies.

RedKnight

Post by RedKnight » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:10 pm

Jeff, I just posted something very specific about the Lube patent on the wiki. It has a readily figurable value, which can be in the millions (except early in the game).

The rest of that page is being revised, pardon the mess.[/url]

nuggett

Post by nuggett » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:36 pm

A trick I use against the AI to help secure my own industries early on...

Find an existing industry with no hope of connecting any resources to it - either near your cities or theirs - and put it up for auction. Only once has my initial bid been accepted and most other times the AI opposition will start a bidding war. You'll get to see which AI opponents have spare cash to buy and one of them will end up wasting money on a useless industry. Do this a couple of times if necessary, then go for the industry you really want - the AI won't have any money left to outbid you.

Early on I'll put in a token bid on patents in the hope of getting them cheap, but if not my money can be better spent on creating profitable new routes. Rarely do I ever need to build a long bridge or tunnel to make them worthwhile. Later in the game when I'm cash rich I'll buy everything unless they are obviously worthless.

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:54 am

I think it's a good question.

I'm a pretty good player, here's my take:

First, I'm what that one guy called a "soft bidder" but generally, I don't want the industry, I just want to make you pay too much, that's why I bid.

Second: It really depends, what is the industry and how early/late in the game? rarely think it makes sense to bid 300k+ early in the game, this is why: That purchase will slow you down enuf to get me ahead early on when it's crucial...be careful early on, try to get em cheap or make him/her pay too much, period.

Another tactic: You see TWO cities that require same thing, bid on the one you don't want. Let the bidding get up there (all the while watching opponent's cash flow) then let em have it. NOW bid on the one YOU want. You eliminated ONE competitor.....that's a lot saved and then he/she owns an industry nothing is going to !

Last tactic: Sometimes when I want to make a stock move, I'll bid on YOUR industry (something you're shipping goods to) naturally you'll tend to take it personally and bid back.....I keep bidding but I don't care, I'm really buying your stock behind the auction box....then when the auction is over, I bought 5 shares.....things aren't always what they seem.

Last: One thing I must disagree with: "wasting time on bidding while the other guy builds" this is nonsense, this game is all about multi-tasking. I never stop what I'm doing because of an auction. I bid, then quickly make a train, come back, bid, quickly build a track, bid, quickly check your $ and stats, etc. I do notice some players seem to freeze the game as they are concerned about the $ they have for auctions, but hey building is more important than auctions so don't reverse priorities. Keep enough to bid what you think it's worth but always be spending the excess on a worthy investment, be it stock, track, terminals, whatever.

-Bob the Lunatic

darthdroid

Re: How much do you bid on auctions

Post by darthdroid » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:13 am

It's been a while and I think a bit differently on this topic now. So allow me to follow up with some more advanced ideas.

Most of what I said above remains true. However, I WOULD now bid 300k in the beginning of a game on the right thing, assuming I already have at least ONE revenue stream. (Don't bid yourself out of money of course).

The other thing I've begun to notice in my latest stage of advancement is that I really don't care about bidding on auctions, just patents. Mostly I BUILD industries, I don't bid on pre-existing ones near as much. I bet the ratio is 5 to 1. (5 being ones I built for 500k). I know many players think "wow, 500k....that's pretty drastic". But frankly, it's crucial to quit thinking that way. Building is huge in strategy.

Case in point: Typical player X has pills (medicine) and looks around for a hospital....finds one, builds a crapload of track to get there and starts shippin those pills. THen player X of course bids on the hospital. I ignore this auction, and while this auction is going down, I come into the nitrate town, make a path to nearest town or bigger and BUILD a hospital. Now that long ass track AND the hospital you bought are pretty worthless. If it's still making a profit, well thats ok, I'll just build a 2nd route to my hospital soon enuf player X's train AND hospital are bone dry....

So moral of the story: If you want to be good focus more on BUILDING industries in key locations. Bid to mess with the other guy, see how much they'll pay. Sometimes I even start auctions that I have no intention whatsoever of purchasing. Every once in a while I get stuck with it, 78k loss or whatever...but usually someone jumps in and bids and that's what I wanted: To make them spend some $ for reason A, B, or C.
-Bob the Lunatic

Burlington_Northern_3140

Post by Burlington_Northern_3140 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:51 am

Thanks darthdroid. After reading your post I played online and won! I haven't won for a while and have only won about 3 times. :D
Thomas
THANK YOU FOR BRINGING US RULES FORUM MODERATORS!
Whoops! I need to stop that drooling over everyones mods. Where are the paper towels?

http://www.homescda.com/

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:51 am

Sweet! Glad to be of service. I think you're one of the few modders that plays online consistently BN.... youre like the non-partisan politician of railroads....reaching across the aisle as they say. You're our diplomat and we plan to lobby you extensively. (right after I steal all your finished goods)
-Bob the Lunatic