Firaxis -- Let us hold cargo at stations

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:00 am

It's been done, sort of. In one of my maps I placed a "Transfer station" from the Utah scenario in a city. It can be programmed to receive any number of materials and produce the same. Like from Gold to Gold. The only problem is thet it neeeds to be programmed before the start of the game.
Jancsika

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:27 am

Problem with that being that now people are getting paid twice to deliver the same goods.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:00 am

Warll - this is real life. If Wine is made in LA and is to be shipped to NY, the UP will ship it to Chicago where another railroad(can't remember the name) will ship it on to NY. They both get paid for the shipment.

The 'Transfer Station' is a great idea. Heck, make a graphic for a yard, put the Transfer Station there along with the size 6 city I worked up and you can make it part of a Victory condition.

:twisted:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:12 am

Jancsika wrote:It's been done, sort of. In one of my maps I placed a "Transfer station" from the Utah scenario in a city. It can be programmed to receive any number of materials and produce the same. Like from Gold to Gold. The only problem is thet it neeeds to be programmed before the start of the game.
Jancsika
Snoopy, have you been having problems discerning real life from video games lately?

Star Ranger4

Post by Star Ranger4 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:39 am

He has a valid point though!

Its not really fair that you cant stack goods like that without the transfer station from the Utah map... which I havent installed yet. I was playing yestderday and found out about the 'vanishing goods' the hard way when I was expecting to be able to drop off gold in Yuma from my phoenix local and just drop it onto the back of my Yuma to San D passenger run. To avoid routing problems I did just have to bite the bullet and make it one long run from the mine, to phoenix, to San D via Yuma.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:18 am

No Warll, but I have been having trouble understanding the reference of your quotes to your remarks :shock:

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:51 pm

Jancsika wrote:It's been done, sort of. In one of my maps I placed a "Transfer station" from the Utah scenario in a city. It can be programmed to receive any number of materials and produce the same. Like from Gold to Gold. The only problem is thet it neeeds to be programmed before the start of the game.
Jancsika
Warll wrote:Problem with that being that now people are getting paid twice to deliver the same goods.
Thats the order in which the post were made. So as forum logic goes since I did not quote any other post it is safe to assume I was responding to the last post made.

Tijer

Post by Tijer » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:09 pm

If you do not mind me butting in to this mess, a transfer station could cause a major problem in a city. Currently all goods shipped to a city are used by the city regardless of their need, so to speak vanish. The concept of the transfer station is to move the goods further down the line.

The problem that I see coming in this is once the city has grown to demand the goods it will not be able to get them since the goods are being moved further down the line.

As with the case mentioned about wine. Moving wine from LA to NY through Chicago. What happens when Chicago demands wine. Are they just SOL or do they get the wine. More importantly what happens when wine is replaced with food, or any other item required to grow a town to metropolis. From what I read of the XMLs is that Chicago gets the wine and you still have the same amount of wine to ship to NY. So what happened Chicago drank half of the wine and watered it down, then shipped it to NY. Since my family is from Chicago this is a high probability, but at the same time it is not fair to double the bulk while shipping

It is another problem that is created when the transfer station is outside of town. In that case more trains are needed along with more stations, that the game engine can not handle.

Just my observation from the outside.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:53 pm

OK, this is what I have worked out, and it does work. Outside of Chicago you put the Transfer Station. As city numbers go, a Metro is a number 3. You make a 'Yard', or as I did, a 'Port', and give it a number 5 or 6. A Metro cannot grow into a Yard, can't happen for some reason cause you skip the 4 size. You have to have at least 1 building, so you use 1 small and figure it to be the guard shack. You can then put as many 'Warehouses' as you want with certain Goods going in and out of easch. 3, 5, 7 how ever many you want in each. you run your track to it, put in a Station, and deliver your Goods to it, and pick them up to be delivered elswhere. You could bring Gold from LA, drop it off and pick up Autos that were delivered from Detroit. A train comes in from NY with Textiles, drops them off and picks up the Gold to take back to NY. So in essence, you don't touch the city, and these shipments can be used in the Victory Conditions.

The talk about LA, Chicago and NY was just an example.

With the Port, you can set Victory Conditions that a certain amout of a certain Good be 'Exported' thru the Port.

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:00 pm

Like I said before, you are now getting paid twice, once to deliver the goods to the depot then a second time when they get to their finale destination.

Tijer

Post by Tijer » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:35 pm

I do believe the man is correct. Since I do not believe the prices of the products are different from city to city. However, as long as no money is paid at the port then it would not be a cheat as claimed. You must also remember that the port could be pilfered by the other robber barons you are playing with.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:28 am

Well, kicking out reality, not wanting to be paid at the port, which can't be done as far as I know, and not want the AIs to take what you have stored, there is no longer a question of making the warehouse......

:evil:

Tijer

Post by Tijer » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:36 am

If the port where to be owned and at the same time did not advertise it's contents then it would exist like the storage location that you want. Since you are storing things for yourself then you would not get paid for delivering things to yourself.

The problem that I see is that the XML's would need to be modified to so that the storage only existed to the owner of the port, otherwise the port would get ripped off by the competition. Second the XML's would need to be modified so that you did not get paid for the transport.

Neither of which is possible under the current format since such a mod would eliminate all of the amounts of all of the goods. Second problem is that goods delivered to a location with no demand are just eliminated from the game.

Such a port as Snoopy is looking for would require a new type of XML. I am only guessing, but to get it to load, the new XML would have to be added to the scenario XML that loads in the start of the scenario, while all other features existing all the other XML's at the same time.

RRT_<scenario name>_Port.XML

Should you be able to create this and get it to work there would have to be a limit as to how much got stored in it before you got hit for inventory tax or some other hoarding charge.

Warll

Post by Warll » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:36 pm

To do this XMLs are not whats needed, whats needed is the game's source code. Not something we'll be getting this side of never.

Tijer

Post by Tijer » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:31 pm

Well golly, you make it sound like they don't care about this game, Warll, outside of selling more units. LOL. I agree that it would be easier to have it designed into the script, but outside of that, modding the XML may be the only option.

One possible option is to study the other programs that use the same engine, like Civ 4 or Oblivion. It may be possible to reproduce the item from another game. The concept is to work smarter not harder.