RRT2 Platinum vs. Railroads! (Key Differences)

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
kaiserf

RRT2 Platinum vs. Railroads! (Key Differences)

Post by kaiserf » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:28 am

Hello everyone - just picked up Railroads! today after many years of playing RRT2 Platinum and I'm still trying to come to terms with the new game. I have tried to read as many of the posts here as possible and have to admit I'm a bit shocked by some of the differences from RRT2. Not that I'm complaining, this is obviously a bit of a different style of game.

Is there a guide (checked the wiki for this) regarding the main gameplay differences between the two games? Things like simple v. complex routing, or lack of demand levels, etc.

To be honest, I think I might have preferred it if they just ported the RRT2 game play over to the new graphical engine, but in any case I've got to deal with the hand we've been dealt.

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:55 pm

I've never played RRT2 so I can't be of any help with your question. I learned how to play SMR with the demo map. Omega 552003 ported it over to the full version. I think it's a better map for learning than the Southwest, if you want to check it out, look for 'Demo map ported to retail' in the Mods - Maps section.

Here's a link to the installer, made by Atani. http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/download.php?id=715

vancouverexpress

Post by vancouverexpress » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:58 am

I was a big rr2 fan, so it took me a while to get used to the changes. At first, i wished they had kept it the same. However, i don't think you need a wiki to tell you the differences; just play it enough and they become obvious. Eventually, i realized that they are 2 different games, and for all its faults i think i like railroads! best now. The online component is fun, though frustrating. The routing takes time to get used to. The maps are small and its hard to get a birds-eye view. However, it looks great and makes for fun quick games as well as some great user-created scenarios. Hopefully, the more you play it, you will enjoy it too. See you online!

kaiserf

Post by kaiserf » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:52 am

Hi, thanks for the interesting replys you two! :D

jayo

Post by jayo » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:16 pm

The big thing I didn't like about RRT2 was that you couldn't see your locos really close-up. Also, Railroads! is more faithful to the original as far as trains. The train table mode, inspired by RRT2's "Sandbox Mode" is also more fun. I only miss the scenarios of RRT2 where I could run the Santa Fe RR in the 1870s. :(

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:37 pm

jayo wrote:...I only miss the scenarios of RRT2 where I could run the Santa Fe RR in the 1870s. :(
Jayo,
Just wait a little bit longer for the release of Basin & Range v1.0 where Big Papa and I have added the Santa Fe, Burlington Northern, and later BNSF RR engines and cars. Although we are moving the timeline up to the late 1900s and are using all diesels.

jayo

Post by jayo » Sun May 06, 2007 2:40 pm

One other thing in Railroads! is you no longer need to build a post office, restaurant, etc. This may seem like a bad thing, but, the bigger stations, as in real life, have those amenities built inside of them. This accounts for the additional revenue when upgrading a station.