I had the money, but i was bought out??

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
moshelinho

I had the money, but i was bought out??

Post by moshelinho » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:23 am

well i was playing a single player campaign and this is what happened,

i had 5 stocks of my company and other 5 were owned by another player, now my company was valued more than 30mil, and i had 9 mil in cash, if i had to buy the other 5 stocks then i had to give 8.5mil(which was possible), and suddenly i get a pop up saying that i have been bought out?????? by another player, i say there shud be an auction for buying out other players too, or atleast give some time so we can buy our own stock!!!!! i created such a huge emipre and lost it without a fight, very disappointing!

CaptainPatch

Re: I had the money, but i was bought out??

Post by CaptainPatch » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:17 pm

moshelinho wrote:well i was playing a single player campaign and this is what happened,

i had 5 stocks of my company and other 5 were owned by another player, now my company was valued more than 30mil, and i had 9 mil in cash, if i had to buy the other 5 stocks then i had to give 8.5mil(which was possible), and suddenly i get a pop up saying that i have been bought out?????? by another player, i say there shud be an auction for buying out other players too, or atleast give some time so we can buy our own stock!!!!! i created such a huge emipre and lost it without a fight, very disappointing!
As a player I agree with you. However....

It's called a "leveraged buyout". Even if you owned _all_ of your stock, an opponent can buy you out by purchasing ALL of the stock at twice its price per share. (As the outgoing CEO, you would be allowed to keep all of the cash; small comfort when you've just been booted out of the game.)

The way the game works, the value of a company seems to be the total price of all trains, stations, and track. Note the exclusion of Cash On Hand. I've noted that I will see a company showing a buyout price of $16 million while it may have $21 million sitting in its treasury. There's something glaringly wrong about that.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:30 pm

I noticed a company buying out another when it didn't have the money to do so! I figured it had more cash on hand, so I reran the map and checked it out. Not enough cash, but he bought out the other guy anyway. I've not been bought out yet, even when one of the others have had twice what they needed to do it.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

DavidC

Post by DavidC » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:40 pm

The company value (and hence the stock/take over price) is not determined in any way by the 'money in had'. eg: if you give yourself 1billion (cheating yes), you can still be taken over for 20x (10x2) stock price. That IS stupid.
second example: when you own ALL the stock in your own company, the competitor can buy you out. WHY??? I as the 1 and only shareholder won't agree with that for ANY price, leave alone a humble 20x stock price. There should be a pop-up question that states wether you wish to sell or not. There should also be a way to buy back stock (as a company, not as a person).
The list of errors that should have been taken care of before releasing is endless... :cry: :cry:

leo

Post by leo » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:08 pm

If you could say no to buy out how would anyone ever win this game?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:30 pm

I agree with leo, the way you want it DavidC, you would never be able to buyout any AI's because they could refuse all of your attempts. After a certain point in a game all you could do is hit double speed and sit back and wait for the end of the game. Boring

KingWilly

Post by KingWilly » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:13 pm

I like the idea of being able to outbid the opponent for the shares. That way, you will know when they are attempting to buy you out instead of just receiving a pop-up saying that the opponent has already bouight you out.

It hasn't happenened to me yet, but I'd still like to know beforehand that the AI opponent was going to buy me out.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:17 pm

KingWilly wrote:It hasn't happenened to me yet, but I'd still like to know beforehand that the AI opponent was going to buy me out.
Ah yes, but 'turn around is fair play!'. The AI would need to know when you're going to buy him out and then he'd go all out to kick your caboose!!

KingWilly

Post by KingWilly » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:37 pm

snoopy55 wrote:
KingWilly wrote:It hasn't happenened to me yet, but I'd still like to know beforehand that the AI opponent was going to buy me out.
Ah yes, but 'turn around is fair play!'. The AI would need to know when you're going to buy him out and then he'd go all out to kick your caboose!!
That would be fair too.

Kroguys

Post by Kroguys » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:51 am

Hi all, first time posting here. Glad to see an active forum for tihs game.

First clue of a buy out would be someone buying your stocks. The more they buy the bigger the clue. And if all 10 shares are sold, then the buy out can happen anytime. At that point there really isn't much one can do. Either buy them out or they buy you out.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:36 am

I just played a game where the top guy had 70% of my stock. At the time I couldn't do anything and thought the end was near! :( But I kept on going and eventually bought the 2nd richest out (who had gotten the 4th) which left me with 2.5mil. I reached 8.3mil and took the last guy.

Never say the end is near until the end is here and gone! :twisted:
Last edited by snoopy55 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzbusch

Post by zzbusch » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:54 pm

I was playing last night. It was the Southwest scenario against two AI, Tycoon level. All of us were about equal in worth. I was making more, because I had better routes and industries. I started to check out my competition to see which I should buy first. Both the AI had 4 and 6 million to my 8. They needed about 12 million to buy me out, so I had a nice cushion to pick which to buy out. After I came back to the game screen, 5 seconds later, I was bought out by a competitor that 5 seconds earlier needed 6 million to buy me. I know he didn't sell 6 million in stock, so where did he get 6 million in 5 seconds?
It doesn't happen often, but it still bugs me.
Remember railroads is sdaorliar spelled backward

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:14 pm

Hmm, the more I think about it, the more I feel that the way you can be bought out is actually a very weak part of the game.

I have been bought out only once and I remember being pretty ticked-off but at the same time I thought to myself "but I should have moved faster".

But in the average game, I need maybe 40 to 50 years to buy out all the competitors and no new competitors start. I put great haste into this because I don't want to be bought out myself. The effect is that half of my time in each game, I play without any AI/Competition at all which is boring...

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:07 pm

zzbusch - as I pointed out in another post, the buyout numbers you see are for your eyes, what the other guys have to pay to buy you out is a completely different number. We need 2 people playing online to do some noting on these numbers as to what it costs to buyout some AI or each other and what the stock ownerships are. I may try it with my bro on my home network, if I can figure out how to do it.....

Falconer - I get that way also at times, tho I haven't played the high stakes settings yet. I just set a $ amount I want to reach and when I get there I pat myself on the back and shut it down.

We also need a Firaxis employee to give us a rundown on how this stock thing is run. I still think it's all in that the buyout numbers viewed are different for each person/AI.

Kenster

Post by Kenster » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:05 am

How I head off a buy out!

As long as I'm doing fairly well I always try to buy back at least 4 of my stocks. (about 20+ years into the game).

Then I keep a close eye on the other guys to see if one of them has higher Company value than me.

If one guy starts buying my stocks I start heading over to his rail line and begin to "help" him haul all that precious cargo. This will greatly cut down his income and buy you some time to snatch up all of his stocks. :wink:

This will almost always work and leave me with around 60 years solo.. at witch time I usually start a fresh map.. No need to finish.. (boring) :!:

snoopy55 wrote:zzbusch -
We also need a Firaxis employee to give us a rundown on how this stock thing is run. I still think it's all in that the buyout numbers viewed are different for each person/AI.
The best that I know is that it all depends on how much stock you own of the company in question. ie you own 50% of a company stock and one other player has the other 50%.. the buy out should be the same for you or the other guy. If you own 80% in one company, your buy out price will be greatly less than the other guy/guys.
Not sure if I need to know exact amounts..

Hope that helps.

Ken