Windows 7 Memory

Trouble getting the game to run? Ask here!
Jancsika

Windows 7 Memory

Post by Jancsika » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:23 am

There seems to be a lot of confusion and misinformation about how Windows 7 handels memory. 3mb enabler is not needed!! All you have to do is to buy at least 4 GB.
So here it is:
While the maximum RAM limit for 32-bit Windows 7 editions is 4GB, when it comes to the 64-bit editions, the amount of memory that the OS can address depends on which edition you are running.

Here are the upper RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7:

Starter: 8GB
Home Basic: 8GB
Home Premium: 16GB
Professional: 192GB
Enterprise: 192GB
Ultimate: 192GB

Warll

Re: Windows 7 Memory

Post by Warll » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:35 am

Yes, yes, all 64 bit OSes can address much more than 4GB, that is not the problem, or what the 3GB enabler fixes.

The 3GB enabler does NOTHING to the OS, it patches the EXE. Look I could try and explain it more in depth but it would get a bit deep in tech jargon.

Just take my word for it, 3GB enabler has not been made redundent on any 64Bit version of windows.

If you don't want to take my word for it here are two links that should get you started:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pl ... AEmem.mspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit
plus the readme here: http://www.smrsimple.com/2009/12/play-l ... b-enabler/

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:36 am

Thanks for clarifying the issue, Warll.
The conclusion is, however much memory available to the OS, for the time being, 3GB is Microsoft's memory limit for applications like SMR - am I right?
Having said that, 3 GB is of course a crucial amount more than what SMR can use without 3GB enabler, so it is really helpful to have your straightforward summary of the patch process. Can you update your patch guide to cover Windows 7 as well, or do we need to gather more experience with that?

Warll

Post by Warll » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:46 am

Yes and No. You see the 2GB limit was from 32 bit windows. 32 bit OSes can only use 4GB of address space of which any RAM in the system must fit, IE video card RAM CPU cache and normal RAM. Windows 32 bit by default only let an application use at most 2GB. Until, as the microsoft article mentions around 2003 some versions of window added a feture that a program could ASK windows to use 3GB.

Thats what the 3GB enabler does, it adds a line to the exe that ASKs windows for permission to use upto a new limit, 3GB, instead of 2GB.

Thats why no version of windows will ever "fix" this, because it is not a "bug", everything is working as it should.

ShortyDK

Post by ShortyDK » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:27 pm

I follow Warll..
I got a Pc with Win7 64 bits, 4 GB memory and 1 GB on a ATI Radeon 4650 graphics -
After I run the 3 GB enabler and I was clear about the "supremecommander.exe" belongs to another game, I just rename my railroads.exe file to supremecommander.exe and was abel to fix the file without any problems. After that rename the supremecommander.exe back to railroad.exe and run the game.. NO PROBLEMS ever since :P
Regards ShortyDK