Dual Core CPU problems

Trouble getting the game to run? Ask here!
Falconer
Site Admin

Dual Core CPU problems

Post by Falconer » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:04 pm

All,

Many games have problems running on Dual Core CPU's. Railroads! (for me at least) is no exception. I had various problems that went away as soon as I set the game's affinity to CPU 1.

To do this, try the following:

- Start the game normally
- ALT-TAB out of the game
- Press CTRL-ALT-DELETE to bring up the Task Manager
- Click on the Processes tab
- Right click on the process for Railroads!
- Click on 'Set Affinity'
- Deselect 'CPU 1' and click okay.

Go back to your game and see if it helped.

Most of the issues that I managed to solve this way were related to graphics glitches, but it also seems to have fixed a bug where the game would hang and stop working.

Atheai

Post by Atheai » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:38 pm

I've had no particular problems yet with my Core Duo processor, and I can't say I felt much difference in the performance changing the CPU affinity; it's still laggy :)

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:52 pm

In the beginning I didn't identify the problems I saw with Dual Cores either. Took me a while to figure it out. I do think that the Core Duo is suffering from these problems less often than the X2, but I have read many people fix the oddest problems by changing CPU affinity.

Anyways, it doesn't hurt an is worth trying, for me it helped. :)

johnb10000

Re: Dual Core CPU problems

Post by johnb10000 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:02 am

I gave this a try and it does reduce the number of crashes. I can now play a of couple of hours before the game crashes instead of a crash every fifteen minutes.

There are also video driver problems where bridges show weird colors that keep changing. The game is most likely to crash when layiing long sections of double track or long bridges.

Falconer wrote:All,

Many games have problems running on Dual Core CPU's. Railroads! (for me at least) is no exception. I had various problems that went away as soon as I set the game's affinity to CPU 1.

To do this, try the following:

- Start the game normally
- ALT-TAB out of the game
- Press CTRL-ALT-DELETE to bring up the Task Manager
- Click on the Processes tab
- Right click on the process for Railroads!
- Click on 'Set Affinity'
- Deselect 'CPU 1' and click okay.

Go back to your game and see if it helped.

Most of the issues that I managed to solve this way were related to graphics glitches, but it also seems to have fixed a bug where the game would hang and stop working.

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:33 pm

Glad this helped you. It made a big difference for me as well. If I don't do this, my gameplay time is shortened by half at least.

rsuttles58

Post by rsuttles58 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:24 pm

I tried this tactic and unchecked CPU 1 and the game still locks up in about 5-10 minutes of gametime. It is such a tease. I'll get a few lines(generally 3-5 lines) up and going and start to get in the flow and it just craps out. I will still hear the music and see the screen but the game will stop moving and work. Hell, I can even still move my mouse but the trains stop and I can't click on anything.

Vikinger

Post by Vikinger » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:40 pm

I got same problem and found that its also matter what CPU you are using.
Untick CPU 0 and use CPU 1.

The game will still stop to respond from time to time and just rightALT- TAB out from the game and back ,will temporary solve it. At least it did for me :)

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:48 pm

Odd, yes, I always use CPU1 for these things, never realised it could make a difference. :)

rsuttles58

Post by rsuttles58 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:14 pm

Eh, I still keep getting the same problem. :Sigh: I guess I'll just wait and see if they come out with a patch that'll help. :Depressed:

Vikinger

Post by Vikinger » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:13 pm

Another long shot you can try is to disable your firewall or secure prg if you have any. And make sure you are not connected to internet before you shut it down. I had this problem also that the game did not respond cuz my firewall blocked the game. But in this case i couldnt even alt-tab.

And for the cpu. Each time you start the game you have to go back and do that cpu thing also cuz it resets to use both cpu when you exit the game.

rsuttles58

Post by rsuttles58 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:20 pm

I uncheck one of the CPU's every time. I highly doubt my firewall has anything to do with it. I think I'm just going to watch for a patch and see what happens.

It really depresses me that with this game they can put it out without really testing it but people can't take PC games back so it's almost like you are forced with a crappy product. They are getting protected from backlash which doesn't in any way influence companies to produce decent PC products. They are pretty much independent of consumer response to the poor/buggy product which they put out. Sort of sad that they didn't take any more pride in the product then they did to put it out like this. Oh well.

Wolfwood
Site Admin

Post by Wolfwood » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:15 am

I take it that these problems appear with AMD processors? I haven't had any troubles with my Intel Core Duo - of course, I've only played the demo version...
“People aren’t wearing enough hats.” - Monty Python

Vikinger

Post by Vikinger » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:01 pm

Don`t think that is a guarantee. I do have an AMD and I could run the demo whitout any problem and decided from that, to buy the game.

Then i had this problems that occured but i managed to fix it whit this tips that have been posted above.

rsuttles58

Post by rsuttles58 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:16 pm

I had no problem with the demo as well..for the most part. It was when I got to the real game that it started crashing like a drunk.

d53642

Post by d53642 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:09 pm

I believe the demo was released with alot of the fixes that are coming to the patch.