starting the game reboots my computer

Trouble getting the game to run? Ask here!
rinerion

starting the game reboots my computer

Post by rinerion » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:14 pm

I have this strange problem with the game.

i tried the demo, and everything worked fine. found the game very entertaining and wanted to buy the release, but since a friend of mine allready had the game i borrowed his cd to try it out.

as you need the cd to play, i downloaded a no-cd crack to be able to play it without the cd, but now i have this kind of strange behaviour of my computer when i try to run the game.

as soon as i click the .exe file my computer shuts down and reboots itself.

when i come back into windows i get a "a serious error accoured" message.

does anyone else have this problem?
is it the crack that makes my computer reboot?

dwax

Post by dwax » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:22 am

Sounds like a virus to me. You never know what you get when you download .exe files. Could be a way to spread it by making the machine reboot.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:23 am

Are you using either of the updates? That crack will not work with those installed. :cry:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

rinerion

Post by rinerion » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:35 am

dwax wrote:Sounds like a virus to me. You never know what you get when you download .exe files. Could be a way to spread it by making the machine reboot.
could be, but probably not since i have mcafee running at all times. but thx for the advice, i'll will look into it.

rinerion

Post by rinerion » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:36 am

snoopy55 wrote:Are you using either of the updates? That crack will not work with those installed. :cry:
have tried without the patch, and with 1.10, but both versions rebooted my computer when i tried to start the exe file :(

leo

Post by leo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:41 am

macafee blows ,

Use Avast

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:07 am

I use AVG Anti-virus, AVG Anti-spyware, Lavasoft Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy They are all free and if you leave your system on 24 hrs a day asI do, AVG can be set to update and test anytime you set it to. My only failure is forgetting to run Adaware and Spybot often enough, which should be once a week.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

rinerion

Post by rinerion » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:38 pm

snoopy55 wrote:I use AVG Anti-virus, AVG Anti-spyware, Lavasoft Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy They are all free and if you leave your system on 24 hrs a day asI do, AVG can be set to update and test anytime you set it to. My only failure is forgetting to run Adaware and Spybot often enough, which should be once a week.
installed and tried AVG today and it found severals trojan generic viruses that mcafee never found. i'll finish the scan and delete/quarantene the infected files and try the game again tonight.

leo

Post by leo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:53 pm

Avast is the best I have used and it is free for home use with free updates.

Depending on how infested your computer is this place is great with helping clean up your computer. Spyware and other things.

http://www.geekstogo.com/