HELP THE NEW KID ! !

Develop, share and download custom trains and rolling stock
Keebortz

HELP THE NEW KID ! !

Post by Keebortz » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:24 pm

Yes, I'm NEW!!! :oops:
Whew... Now that we got that out of the way I'd like to ask one simple question that people in the know seem to already know!

How do I get the trains to appear after I install with an installer from this site? I went to the WIKI, downloaded the G7 and all the other engines and NOTHING. Yes, I'm at a loss.

Also, is there any way to get the cars to be "full size" because in the game the box/refer seems way undersized against the engines.

Hope I get some good feedback on this even if it's just links to where someone has already addressed this and I missed it.

Thanks in advance! :P

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:48 pm

Well, each Scenario has a set of XML files that tell SMR what resources (including locos) to use during play. So in order to see different content (in this case locos) you would have to change those files (in this case the RRT_Trains_<scenarioname>.xml file.

I think you can choose Train Table mode just to check first if the locos are indeed installed properly. All locos should show up in the roundhouse in that mode me thinks.

And yes there are indeed threads discussing getting new locos in the game under Railroads! Mods - Trains I believe.

As for the car sizes, the cars are a little short but you might want to post a screenshot so we can compare it to ours. There are ways to change the size of things though and that can be done in the XMLs and the models themselves depending on your needs. At the top of the Global RRT_Trains.xml and RRT_TranCars.xml files there is a Scale tag that can be modified.

Good Luck,
DF
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R mobo - Core i7 920
G.SKILL 3x1GB PC3 10666
MSI 8800GT Graphics Card
WD 150GB Raptor System Drive
WinXP Pro SP2 (LANfest Old Gamer Prize)

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:23 am

I stand corrected (by myself) all locos will not show up when in Train Table mode without XML modification.

keotaman

Post by keotaman » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:26 am

Dr Frag wrote:I stand corrected (by myself) all locos will not show up when in Train Table mode without XML modification.
I think you were right the first time - all 40 locos, takes 4 ½ turns in the roundhouse to see 'em all!
Table Top mode, check Use all trains.
My SMR is Stock, patched, no mods installed (maybe that's why it works?)

Keebortz

Post by Keebortz » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:47 am

I did get one of the GP7 mods to work and it's the first time I've ever had two loco's... whoo hoooo!!!!!! THANK YOU!

keotaman: This is a saved game file... what does it do?

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:09 pm

Oh shoot, that's right. I forgot about the Use All Trains checkbox. I knew I had done that without XML mods before. this getting old thing sux

Keebortz: that Save is the Quad City Lake multiplayer map in Train Table Mode with Use All Trains checked.
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R mobo - Core i7 920
G.SKILL 3x1GB PC3 10666
MSI 8800GT Graphics Card
WD 150GB Raptor System Drive
WinXP Pro SP2 (LANfest Old Gamer Prize)

Keebortz

Post by Keebortz » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:12 pm

Ahhh, gotcha! Newbie and all. Sorry for all the stupid questions.

Keebortz

Post by Keebortz » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:21 am

OK, new question for thoes in the know! I managed to get the dual engine and new engines to show up, then I installed the tender installer and the tenders now show up for my steam engines. LOOKS GREAT... but there was a drawback.... now none of the dummy engines show up on the new diesel engines. :shock: :?:

So, talk to me like I'm stupid. What now?
When telling me to add something to a certain XML file can you also tell me the default location of the file. I have a heck of a time finding them. :roll:

Thanks a-lot!

K-class

Post by K-class » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:11 am

Hello,

Feeling adventurous are we? One of the best things about this game is playing with the xml's

see http://hookedforums.com/a/viewtopic.php?p=17059#17059

and read down from there. Real easy to do duals and three files you edit
Trains.xml and then TrainCars.xml and then ENU.xml ...for english etc.

Also get notepad + if you don't have it try:
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
Dont use notepad etc as you will xml's that CTD. :D
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

PaF-Daddy

Post by PaF-Daddy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:34 am

Standard Wordpad will do the job to :P
I love Locos and Eve Online

Creator of a huge germany map in english and in german. Look into the map section!