Wiki for Railroads!

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:23 pm

I've done some research but have not managed to try an implementation yet due to a busy weekend and the 'launch' of our Game of the Year award. Going to try again later this week!

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:54 pm

What about either doing it on Wikipedia, or using the Wiki software. That last was probally mentioned by darklandz, but I thought I'd throw it in seeing as we are on a 2nd page :wink: . If I read that right anyone can start an artical on Wikipedia, and it could be referenced to from here. I've also seen Wiki used for Unreal and it's great.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

RedKnight

Post by RedKnight » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:46 pm

Sounds good, Falconer. No real rush. In the long run, I think it'll be a real good thing.

You can see how some of my postings would benefit from a bit more flexibility for posting and organizing info. Forums are great in their way, but wikis are in theirs, too.

Snoopy, that's certainly a thought. But the main wiki (Wikipedia.org) brings with it a lot of overhead, such as delayed approval of file submissions (for copyright check), probably you can't change a bunch of the navigation panels (to make them Railroads specific), and a number of other rules (plus non-Railroads folks' ideas of how to run it).

I'd lean toward a homegrown one where the local admins can make their own rules. It'd help keep it simple and "light", I would think. A wiki here would sorta be the official Railroads wiki (this is the official forum, right?), so there's that, too.

But those are just thoughts. Any wiki's a good one. I'm good either way, honestly.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:51 am

OK, I looked at the 'Unreal Wiki' again, and I think they are seperate from Wikipedia. Here is the web address:

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/

Look it over. I guess this is what I was really talking about.

If you go to here:

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Wiki_Admin

There are 5 Admins listed who handle it. Heck, maybe this is what you were talking about in the first place.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:11 pm

Yup, we'll be using a branch of the original Wiki software. :)

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:08 pm

Just to give you an update:

We've installed the wiki software but... well, let's just say that the scripters have not made the software particularly compatible. There are several issues that we're facing that appear to happen quite regularly to other people as well but in none of the forums have people been able to resolve any of them (there are 3 issues and they are almost certainly related, so technically a single issue).

I've posted a description of the problems and am now hoping someone will come up with a good answer. :)

RedKnight

Post by RedKnight » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:28 pm

I hope it can be worked out... Thanks so much for trying!

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:02 pm

About to start a downgrade. Apparently the wiki software with version 1.8.* has some odd incompatibility with newer MySQL and/or PHP versions. 1.7.1 apparently does not have these issues. I'm about to find out. :)

(not much time left in the day, so probably know for sure this weekend)

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:39 pm

I'm happy to report that the older version of the Wiki software -is- working now. :)

I still need to do quite a bit of testing and customizing, so the battle is won but the war is not over yet. But it's looking good and (unless something really unexpected goes wrong) I expect to have something working this weekend, Monday at the latest.

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:11 pm

Everything is working. We even managed to make sure that everyone who is a member of the forums, is allowed to edit using their forum login/password. We're getting somewhere.

All that is left now is to create the proper skin (while you guys skin trains, we at HG skin sites and software) :)

We should be able to launch this within the timeframe mentioned above. But first... Sleep!

(and a reinstall of my machine tomorrow)

RedKnight

Post by RedKnight » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:16 pm

Very cool, station master :) Thanks!

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:02 pm

There are some small font issues that still need to be corrected, but other than that, we're good to go. :)

The location of the Wiki is:

http://www.hookedgamers.com/wiki/Railroads

This is a general wiki for (hopefully) tons of games in the future, starting with Railroads!

Of course it's still rather empty and with Wiki's being collaborative efforts, I would like to invite you all to start filling it. (yes, that's YOU hehe)

(the font issues can be resolved without harming the data you put into the wiki).

Registered forum users will already have an account, just login with the same login/pass as you use for the forum

Have fun!

Special thanks to PiratesFan for helping me test some stuff out.

RedKnight

Post by RedKnight » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:14 am

Sounds GREAT, Falconer! I'll start copying info over soon.

Thanks so much! - RK

Jancsika

Wiki

Post by Jancsika » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:53 pm

I am competely ignorant about how to make Wiki entry, subject, etc. ( I will learn that eventually)
But how abot having a chapter about "Creaton" to discuss map sizes, terrain, where to find XML information to copy into your own scenario, etc.
J.B.

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:09 pm

Yup, I think many people will find that very useful.