Hi all and how to

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
Lalla

Hi all and how to

Post by Lalla » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:37 am

Hi!

I'm Miriana, from Italy. I'm playing with railroads and I think's a very good game!
I've a question, how is possible add some contents, es. new houses, shops, banks, trains, goods to transport, and so on?

Thank you for help.

Lalla

Greybriar

Re: Hi all and how to

Post by Greybriar » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:44 am

Welcome to the Hooked on Railroads forums, Lalla.

I cannot answer your question but someone should be along soon who can.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:48 am

Questions...how familiar are you with simple programming? Are you familiar with XML? Do you have an editing program called Notepad++ ? http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Adding things is really not that difficult once you know how the game needs to work. I'm writing this without guessing what you do and don't know, and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

First, go into Construction Set and read 'Installing Building Blocks 101' Then go into 'Mods - Talk' and read, and play with 'Map Making 101'. Now understand, the second one was written while GLOBALS was the way to make these maps, but it still gives some insight into how it's done and what can be done. Also, the files in the first post were written for GLOBALS, but if you want to use them let me know and I'll rewrite them with only originals (no mods).

Once you've gotten that far, look into the Building Blocks (there are five) and the discussions about them. And again, ask any questions you may have.

One important thing about adding things, be sure you add all that is needed, or edit what you have. What I mean is this, if you want to add the good Cowhides, you need a place for them to come from such as the Tannery. You need a place to send them to, such as a Football Manufacturer. You need a way to get them from the Tannery to the Football Manufacturer, such as the Cowhide Car. You need the good Footballs, and you need a way to transport the Footballs such as the Football Car. In this scenario, any one of those missing will crash the game. BUT, you can substitute any part or parts of that scenario with alternate things, such as the Cowhides going to the Textile Mill and coming out Textiles.

Please don't throw your hands up in despair, it's really not that hard if you make as few changes in you map as possible between testing. To add five or six set of things and test it...if it crashes, what caused the crash? There are a few slight-of-hand tricks to work up to a full set, testing each step.

And remember, questions, questions, questions.....you'll get the answers you need.

And welcome to the forum
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:45 pm

Lets start with the very basic editing.
The game has a basic “Terrain Editor”. You should be able to see it when you start the game. If you don’t see it, you have to activate it. You have to have the game patch 1.10 installed. That is available from the Firaxis web site.
Once you have it installed, find in you computer the “Settings.ini” file. That will be located in C:/……./My Games/Sid Meier’s Railroads!/ folder. Open it with a text program, (Notepad will be OK) add the line EditorEnabled = 1 , save it and next time you start the game you will have Terrain Editor available. There you will find features where you will be able to create simple new maps.
That is the first step. Once you are comfortable with the map-creating take on the excellent suggestions that Snoopy proposed.
And if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask them.
Jancsika
:mrgreen:

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:32 am

Lalla wrote: how is possible add some contents, es. new houses, shops, banks, trains, goods to transport, and so on?
This game very very possible to added new models (train, building, industries ,etc). But if you want to add new model into this game you must have and familiar with programs like this.

- 3d software ( I used 3dsmax 7 & 8 )
- Image editing software ( I used Paint.net & Gimp2)
- Nifscope ( to editing NIF File )
and a little knowledge about XML

With those software you can add new model into this game. If you need help to add your new model into this game don't hesitate, please feel free to PM or email me... :P
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Lalla

Post by Lalla » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:07 am

Ty for help!

Then, I'm know what are notepad and xml. I use 3d max 2009 for 3d objects and psp 12 for 2d images. I don't know what's nifscope.

Now, if I want, for example, made a scenario for halloween or xmas time, what I can do?

Ty again!

Lalla

Lalla

Post by Lalla » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:08 am

Jancsika wrote:Lets start with the very basic editing.
The game has a basic “Terrain Editor”. You should be able to see it when you start the game. If you don’t see it, you have to activate it. You have to have the game patch 1.10 installed. That is available from the Firaxis web site.
Once you have it installed, find in you computer the “Settings.ini” file. That will be located in C:/……./My Games/Sid Meier’s Railroads!/ folder. Open it with a text program, (Notepad will be OK) add the line EditorEnabled = 1 , save it and next time you start the game you will have Terrain Editor available. There you will find features where you will be able to create simple new maps.
That is the first step. Once you are comfortable with the map-creating take on the excellent suggestions that Snoopy proposed.
And if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask them.
Jancsika
:mrgreen:
I've enable, ty! ;)

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:02 pm

Now, if I want, for example, made a scenario for halloween or xmas time, what I can do?
Why not try to look at an example: Here is a link from the Wiki for the custom made maps. Read the notes and warnings about the Holiday scenario.
The files with the *.FPK extension contain the graphics of the scenario. The files with the *.XML scenario are the commands how and where to use them.

The FPK files are nothing but a collection of different graphic files you can unpack them with the PacBuilt program:
Here is link to the Nifscope program:
There is somewhere on this forum a discussion how to use it.

There Snoopy can and will be more help….
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jancsika

Lalla

Post by Lalla » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:22 pm

Jancsika wrote:
Why not try to look at an example: Here is a link from the Wiki for the custom made maps. Read the notes and warnings about the Holiday scenario.
The files with the *.FPK extension contain the graphics of the scenario. The files with the *.XML scenario are the commands how and where to use them.

The FPK files are nothing but a collection of different graphic files you can unpack them with the PacBuilt program:
Here is link to the Nifscope program:
There is somewhere on this forum a discussion how to use it.

There Snoopy can and will be more help….
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jancsika
Ty! mmm...but...are you f or m? :D

Lalla

Post by Lalla » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:35 am

Then, I know that is not properely a 3d graphics forum, but, maybe, someone can help me.
I need to know how put, in this case, decals, with 3d graphics program. I've 3d max 2009, I request help on variorus forums, followed tutorials, but I don't understand nothing on how put textures with uv mapping method.
I know that, for create textures for railroads, first needs to save texture on raw format...mmm...and then? For me is as a black hole... ;)

Ty is here is a "good soul" that help me... :roll:

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:01 am

Lalla wrote:Then, I know that is not properely a 3d graphics forum, but, maybe, someone can help me.
I need to know how put, in this case, decals, with 3d graphics program. I've 3d max 2009, I request help on variorus forums, followed tutorials, but I don't understand nothing on how put textures with uv mapping method.
I know that, for create textures for railroads, first needs to save texture on raw format...mmm...and then? For me is as a black hole... ;)

Ty is here is a "good soul" that help me... :roll:
The SMR games use NIF file as 3d Models, if you use 3ds max you need plugin that's called "niftools-max-plugins" and "CivilizationIV-MaxTools", those plugins used by 3ds max to save as NIF file, but as I know those plugin until now only provided for 3ds max 6,7, 8 and 9 not for 3dsmax 2009. If you not have those plugins you can't create Nif file for this game, and you too need plugin it's called "Texporter" to convert and save UVW Unwrap as bitmap image (DDS, TGA, JPEG etc), if you need help send your email address, I will send those plugins to your email
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit