What would improve Railroads! ?

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
recca421

Post by recca421 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:17 am

Not sure if anyone else's posts have covered this already, but how about giving us more control over multiplayer games, including :

- Allowing us to select which types of trains to allow on a per-game basis
- Setting starting funds (not just 'difficulty')

Also, for any mode, a "restart game" option would be nice (should/could be from the main menu).[/list]

jturie

Post by jturie » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:50 am

Falconer wrote:*updated*

@jturie: I believe an editor is being worked on yes. Also, isn't it already possible to make crossings and intersections? Usage charges was not unanimously agreed upon in some other forums I think... Anyone else who would like this?
You can sort of create crossings by connecting track segments close together, but it's not the same.

The only reason I thought of sharing competitor's track is to allow you to get to a new town or resource without having to build overpasses or extensive bypass track. Given the small map scale, I think it would start getting busy. I don't want you to be able to go into a competitor's station, just use stretches of their track. It would be a bear to implement within the restrictions of the track laying and routing logic in the software...

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:46 am

@jturie: Yup, it can be a little complicated to get what you want sometimes. Added. :)

Atheai

Post by Atheai » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:36 pm

- Checkpoints
- Option to create signals manually

I'm a huge Transport Tycoon fan, and so I'm rather used to building huge interconnected railways with "roro" (Roll in, roll out) stations being a big part of it. The principle is easy; A roro station is a station where all the trains enter at one end, and leave at the other, creating a flow and capacity unmatched by any other system.

However, as it is now, roro stations are really, really hard to do. First of all, going in a circle (which is the fundament of the roro system) is impossible for a train: it wants to go back and forth between two places simply by turning around and going back the way it came from, presumably the shortest way.

So to actually create a roro system in Railroads!, I had to make dummy stations in neighbouring town/factories.. it works in some cases, but it's very, very cumbersome, and the option isn't always there.

And the second problem is that two trains can't move within the same lane of track without signals. But these signals are only created when you connect another lane to the current one.. if we could place signals manually, it would solve this pretty easily.

So I suppose the question is, should we even be allowed to make roro stations in Railroads? Is it necessary? (I think it is, but some of you guys might be able to convince me :) )

recca421

Post by recca421 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:35 pm

The ability to lay track FROM an outlying industry TO your rail would be nice.

And my girlfriend would like to see the ability to highlight routes in different colors (probably already requested) and improved menus.

Oh, and how about including some kind of software to make it *easy* to make your own RR logos? I know there's a map editor planned, but more intuitive software for creating user-made RR logos would definitely be a plus.

silverjim

Switching

Post by silverjim » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:16 pm

Didn't the original RR Tycoon have working switches (probably showing my age here)? I seem to remember screwing up now and then with a devastating crash as the result. Anyway, I'd vote for that.

Larger maps with cities farther apart would be another wish - I see where that's been on the list, so this is another vote for that.

Again, this has been mentioned, but a zoom that would go farther out and closer in would be appreciated.

Enjoying the hell out of it so far. Thanks to Sid and the rest of Firaxis.

silverjim
accept no substitutes.

milo

Post by milo » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:26 pm

Triggered events. Perhaps I'm misreading the XML, but all newspaper and price-altering events seem to be random; I'd like to be able to, say, decrease the price of automobiles once Ford introduces the assembly line, or increase passenger traffic when the NY-DC connection is completed. It's rather hard to add any depth to SMRR scenarios beyond coming up with strange victory conditions.

Westley Roberts

Re: What would improve Railroads! ?

Post by Westley Roberts » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:13 pm

> Ability to slow down the speed at which the years pass
> > > > Can do that now, in upper right corner of screen click the "Play" button, once = double time, twice = half time, again = normal time
> Undo button
>>>>> Couldn't agree more!!! Just when I thought I had a line of track in place, my elbow gets bumped... ARRGGH!!!!!!
> Re-routable goods (drop at a station, pick up by another train)
>>>>> Didn't even realize this was occuring, I'd drop off cars in one station to have anothertrain finish the route, and it was moving empty ????WHAA????
> Restart map option
> > > > Would love this one: Resources not where you want them, RE-ROLL..Instead, right now, back to main menu, Single Player, select Map....
> Ability to easily put in crossings and intersections (via selector)
>>>>> Nothing worse than having to envision a 3 Lane traffic cirlce to get goods flowing. I've even had to make a Fly-Over bridge to get one route built...
> A campaign mode
> > > > > Yepps, While the Scenarios are nice, there are WAY Too Few!!!! Maybe an editor to pick and choose objectives to make the game harder/easier ??? So far, I've found that once I succeed all the steps, it's a model train.. (maybe I should up the Difficulty or add Competitors??)

Adding in a few of my gripes....
Ability to delete Stations / Depots / Resource Gatherers w/ track
Ability to redesign Track for a Station (once those lines are there, and attached to the Station, you're done fer)
Less resource hoggy during Track placement. I press 'DELETE' and wait 5- 30 seconds sometimes, while the game checks every route I have, and whether or not a train must pass that rail..

Enough for now, I'll edit this as i think of more problems I encounter (wonders if I've been possessed by Rupert)

leo

Post by leo » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:39 pm

Ability to delete Stations / Depots / Resource Gatherers w/ track
Ability to redesign Track for a Station (once those lines are there, and attached to the Station, you're done fer)
You can do all those things. I am not saying it is easy but you can do it. Play around with it some more.

Westley Roberts

Post by Westley Roberts » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:38 pm

Leo, I'll get a Save Game with a Stand-Alone station that no longer has a need for me, and I'll even show a screenie. then you can download it, and try to remove it.

If you remove it, you can then let me know how you did it...

I'll edit this post with the files so I don't double post....

EDIT: Moving Topic to keep this one clean, Sorry Falconer for cluttering things...Almost Hijacked this...

New Topic for this issue ::::> Deleting Stations Etc...

Warll

Post by Warll » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:50 pm

i would love to see the GE revolution in ether an expansion or a patch.

Scooter80

Post by Scooter80 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:48 pm

-Yes, more trains either in an expansion or patch. Especially since the last train is added in the late 1900's and you can play to 2070.

-Speaking of that, it kind of stinks you can only play to 2070. I like the speed of the game that double-speed gives you, but it lets the years just fly by.

-Better track-laying. A "Vector" tool like a paint program's "line bending" tool that would allow you to set a section of rail at certain points but allow you to determine it's final direction instead of following a gentle curve or joining the adjacent track in the wrong direction.

-Fix that lag in the latter 1/4 of a scenario

-Make finishing a scenario with medals worth something... i.e. unlockables like new trains, new industries, new scenarios, etc.

Otherwise, I am really enjoying this game as I have all of Sid's and most of Firaxis'!

outager

Post by outager » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:04 am

I love the game so far. You guys have some good suggestions.

There are 2 things from RRT/RDX I really mis.
  • Have a map view in which you see all stationboxes with waiting cargo.
    And it would be very nice to have a bar under the train names indicating it's speed (just like in RRT/RDX)

Wyke

Post by Wyke » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:54 pm

Though I am enjoying Railroads, like all it's predecessors I found myself a little dissapointed with it, there is still something missing that the original Railroad Tycoon had.
Firstly, I feel the game has lost a lot by dropping the station development routines, that is the building of hotels, turntables and the like.
Secondly. I find the current signal block, muli-line routines quite cumbersome. What I loves about the original game, which all other versions seem to have ignored, is the macro management of signals and points, sorry switches for our American friends. Perhaps not realistic, but it was the management of these, to get that big paying express through a busy section that was one of the biggest 'fun' ellements for me.

Westley Roberts

Post by Westley Roberts » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:29 pm

Good point Wyke, I too, miss the ability to add items to stations.

And even tho i've forgotten about adding in your own switches, I'd love to have that option. Heck, I'd even love to be able to hold down the CTRL key and get a STRAIGHT track, rather than have the AI curve it 'THEIR" way..

This game is great, but they seem to have dumbed it down on options..

Other items that may have been metionied already that are missing...

>>>> A Table of Cargo that is sitting in all your stations. So you can eaiser see where your shortfalls are in delivery.

>>>> A Query table to see what you've moved over the year... Heck, how about a slew of reports that you can change search terms...

The game is limited in scope, but that doesn't stop me from playing nad loving it. jsut wish it had...MORE