somewhere I read you can vandalize your opponents tracks

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
wabash10

somewhere I read you can vandalize your opponents tracks

Post by wabash10 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:16 am

somewhere I read you can vandalize your opponents tracks how do you do this?
thanks

johnb10000

Post by johnb10000 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:33 pm

I am not sure how to vandalize the opponent but you can cut them off or block them in.

When starting a new game with an opponent close by you can place track close to there track and all the way around it. This will box the opponent in so they can't build any track.

Placing track close to the oppenents track or across the end of the track will make it difficult to reach certain locations without building expensive bridges or tunnels.
Attachments
Opponent totally blocked and can't build
Opponent totally blocked and can't build
untitled.JPG (166.51 KiB) Viewed 10637 times

boomer ang

Post by boomer ang » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:17 pm

Hehe, nice shot mate,

there should be some limit to AI agrresiveness :? because I have seen one of my favourite metropoly been attacked from several directions simoultaneously by a dozen of AI train.

Where is the antitrust rule ? :D

Boomer

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:33 pm

Your opponent does have the ability to get past that, I've put a crossing not only over my own tracks, but over my opponent as well. See my playground below......

Oh ya, it goes thru his station on the left, curves across his track and under it on the right thru a crossover I did and on to my station. That's my train going away thru his!
Attachments
SMRailroads!0022.jpg
SMRailroads!0022.jpg (108.4 KiB) Viewed 10595 times
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

moshelinho

Post by moshelinho » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:35 pm

when i blocked the opponents path, he created a crossing over my line....i mean

generally if a rail line is going and u want to make a line crossing that line then a bridge is created, but this opponent of mine made his line crossing my line, and then when i wanted to double track my line, i cudnt????

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:22 am

johnb10000 wrote:I am not sure how to vandalize the opponent but you can cut them off or block them in.

When starting a new game with an opponent close by you can place track close to there track and all the way around it. This will box the opponent in so they can't build any track.

Placing track close to the oppenents track or across the end of the track will make it difficult to reach certain locations without building expensive bridges or tunnels.
I do appreciate the strategy John, but even if your tracks were TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT around mine, I could still get out by building a bridge.

This is also why tracksneaking is just stupid, you never need it.

Just learn to build a bridge people. I have people try to block me all the time and they are very dismayed when I go up and over their "block" and realize they just wasted money....nothing more.

-Bob the Lunatic

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:24 am

snoopy55 wrote:Your opponent does have the ability to get past that, I've put a crossing not only over my own tracks, but over my opponent as well. See my playground below......

Oh ya, it goes thru his station on the left, curves across his track and under it on the right thru a crossover I did and on to my station. That's my train going away thru his!
Tracksneaking is NOT the right way to get past a block....anyone can tracksneak, a real robber baron builds a bridge and goes over your tracks, knocking coal dust on your head!

This is NOT how to do it folks, BUILD a BRIDGE!!!!!

-Bob the Lunatic

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:29 am

johnb10000 wrote:I am not sure how to vandalize the opponent but you can cut them off or block them in.

One more thing John, it doesn't require a costly bridge, frankly it's not even 10k with the worst block. Don't let the game decide your bridge, YOU decide your bridge......bridge building is a major part of this game.....but the tracksneakers will never learn it.

-Bob the Lunatic

darthdroid

Re: somewhere I read you can vandalize your opponents tracks

Post by darthdroid » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:32 am

wabash10 wrote:somewhere I read you can vandalize your opponents tracks how do you do this?
thanks
Lastly to the original question: Ya sure, you can vandalize them, but not really how was described, blocking and vandalizing are not the same. You would vandalize them by tracksneaking all over them which would make it basically really difficult for them to do what they want to, ie double track and go where they want....but again, this is solved with a bridge people. No matter how bad you vandalize, I can still doubletrack somewhere, and when I do, a small bridge will get me where you tried to prevent me from going.

And ultimately, while you wasted all that time and $ "vandalizing" I built a track to your factory and stole your bombs :) It's a waste of time.

-Bob the Lunatic

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:00 am

darthdroid wrote:
snoopy55 wrote:Your opponent does have the ability to get past that, I've put a crossing not only over my own tracks, but over my opponent as well. See my playground below......

Tracksneaking is NOT the right way to get past a block....anyone can tracksneak, a real robber baron builds a bridge and goes over your tracks, knocking coal dust on your head!

-Bob the Lunatic
So, I can't cross over his tracks, or "tracksneak". OK, I work back and forth a bit til I get the ground a bit lower than his track and go 'slightly' under his track. Or I suppose 'slightly tracksneaking' is wrong also? Why is it that people seem to think that surround an opponent to try to prevent him from doing anything, which is not real life, is acceptable, but getting around that by doing a crossing, which is real life, is not allowed? Come on people don't get mad about what someone does to get around your dirty trick on them! Let's get real here.

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:10 am

snoopy55 wrote:
darthdroid wrote:

-Bob the Lunatic
So, I can't cross over his tracks, or "tracksneak". OK, I work back and forth a bit til I get the ground a bit lower than his track and go 'slightly' under his track. Or I suppose 'slightly tracksneaking' is wrong also? Why is it that people seem to think that surround an opponent to try to prevent him from doing anything, which is not real life, is acceptable, but getting around that by doing a crossing, which is real life, is not allowed? Come on people don't get mad about what someone does to get around your dirty trick on them! Let's get real here.
You gotta read a little closer there snoopy. Bridges ARE ok, tracksneaking is not. As I said, if you Do tracksneak, I'll make you aware that I'm aware....and very quickly, so you realize how closely I watch you, then i'll keep playing and beat you. Now, once you realize that tracksneaking is stupid....you'll advance to my level and perhaps beat me.

In answer to your question: First, again I don't really block and I certainlly wouldnt surround an opponent, however, I know a guy who will wrap tracks around a city so you can't get in easily and it's an excellent tactic, I don't mind, this is a strategy game.

However, THIS is the difference snoop: tracksneaking is a glitch, nothing fancier. Blocking is a tactic and this is not an issue about what is realistic and what isn't. It's an issue of what is a glitch and what isn't....see?

Now again, and I'm feeling redundant here, YES YOU CAN BUILD A BRIDGE, SO BUILD A BRIDGE. If you don't get this, pop on line occassionally and find me, I'll take you in and teach you. Once you understand bridge building you'll realize how amateurish tracksneaking is.

Play foosball? Tracksneaking is like spinning, it's a bunch of nonsense that really hurts you more than it helps you. How could tracksneaking hurt you you ask? Because it is a crutch that prevents you from learning how to REALLY play the game....if you learn bridges.....lots more in the game will open up for you. Clear enough?

-Bob the Lunatic

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:21 am

Well Bob, this is one of the reasons I'm editing the Auctions, Reports and icons as I do the Building Blocks, and why I don't accept a Smelter building as a Redistrubution Point, I enjoy playing realisticly. A bridge that goes up a +33 degrees is just not real to me. A crossing is. a steam engine followed by a steat engine with no tenders is not real to me, and I'm looking to fix that to a couple projects down the line. Yes, I do understandwhat you are saying, and if we did play against each other, I would not hesitate the build a crossing. How it is a 'glitch' i don't know. Is it a 'glitch' if i build a track under your bridge, but the top of my train sticks above that bridge when it passes under it? Or the tractor runs thru a train as it plows the field?

I guess what is really needed here is two or three sets of rules. if you don't like the rules one person plays by. go play with someone else. I don't play online, to much other things to do.......

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:06 am

Also,

Back to the original question. I took the liberty of guessing what "vandalizing tracks" might look like so you could get a visual idea.

Now I bet this is even worse than what your buddy was describing....but imagine if someone did this to you:

compliments of
-Bob the Lunatic

Note: this is the computer's starting track (red) and what I did to the computer with some carefree "vandalism" (blue).
Attachments
ahhh yaaaa
ahhh yaaaa
vandalism.jpg (169.57 KiB) Viewed 10468 times

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:11 am

Well snoop, theres a lot worse problems in the game than the high bridges....and frankly, it DOES limit them. But hey, I'm an economist, I'll do what creates the most profit within the parameters, I don't care if you change the parameters.

Now as far as tracksneaking goes.....if you try to cross a track, the game stops you unless you stretch a bridge right....but if you build eensy weensy pieces you kind of trick the game eh....it's just dumb and as I said, a "crutch" that will limit you.

One exception: if it's a switching point, the game lets it lay flat and that is logical, these are few and far between and hard to create (kind of) and so I don't care if they cross at a switching point.

But nevermind that, did you see my glorious vandalism????

And if you DON'T play online, you're missing out. and if you DO want to know what's REALLY wrong with the game....I mean stuff that actually makes it pointless if someone uses it, come chat with me sometime. Theres a lot worse stuff than tracksneaking or silly bridges, believe me.

-Bob the Lunatic

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:25 am

I was curious, so I let the game run for 10 years....the computer was totally confused, it sold stock, but never built any track, it didn't know what to do....pretty funny actually. So I guess "vandalism" works against the AI.

And note, I still managed to route one of my trains into this mess lol

-Bob the Lunatic
Attachments
vandalism WORKED lol.jpg
vandalism WORKED lol.jpg (158.86 KiB) Viewed 10463 times