Contrary review on SMR

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
CaptainPatch

Post by CaptainPatch » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:52 am

CuZZa wrote:Poptop Game sown Railroad Tycoon. They took Railroad To me, this is the successor to RRT1 as RRT2/3 really lost a lot of the heart and soul. To me, this is a demo of what a true RRT1 successor should be be.
I opened up my boxed set of the original RRT and started to skim through the Index. Amongst other things, I see...

Laying Track
River Bridges
Ferrys
Station Improvements
Train Wrecks
Priority Shipments
How Signals Work
Signal Towers
Overriding A Block Signal
Stockholder Happiness
Bonds
Calling Your Broker
Short Term Loans
Declaring Bankruptcy
Efficiency Report
Rate Wars
Stock Market Takeovers
Controlling Other Railroads

Do you really think "this is a demo of what a true RRT1 successor should be be"? If you putt RRT, RRT2, RRT3, and SMR into a group and started singing, "one of these things isn't like the others", which one would you pick out as being different? I can see RRt2 and RRT3 being progressions _forward_ from RRT, but SMR is definitely a step _back_ from the source game.

Warll

Post by Warll » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:09 am

CaptainPatch wrote: Do you really think "this is a demo of what a true RRT1 successor should be be"? If you putt RRT, RRT2, RRT3, and SMR into a group and started singing, "one of these things isn't like the others", which one would you pick out as being different? I can see RRt2 and RRT3 being progressions _forward_ from RRT, but SMR is definitely a step _back_ from the source game.
Thats only one time we need to do more testing....

Test 1. Halo,Renegade,Killer 86,SMR "one of these things isn't like the others"=SMR!

Test 2. Civ, C&C, AW, SMR "one of these things isn't like the others"=SMR! again!

Test 3.Lego Rock Raiders, Ceasar III, Tropico, SMR "one of these things isn't like the others"=SMR!

wow guess SMR must be a whole new type of game!

CaptainPatch

Post by CaptainPatch » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:09 am

Warll wrote:
CaptainPatch wrote: Do you really think "this is a demo of what a true RRT1 successor should be be"? If you putt RRT, RRT2, RRT3, and SMR into a group and started singing, "one of these things isn't like the others", which one would you pick out as being different? I can see RRt2 and RRT3 being progressions _forward_ from RRT, but SMR is definitely a step _back_ from the source game.
Thats only one time we need to do more testing....

Test 1. Halo,Renegade,Killer 86,SMR "one of these things isn't like the others"=SMR!

Test 2. Civ, C&C, AW, SMR "one of these things isn't like the others"=SMR! again!

Test 3.Lego Rock Raiders, Ceasar III, Tropico, SMR "one of these things isn't like the others"=SMR!

wow guess SMR must be a whole new type of game!
Wow. I'm really impressed by your selection process of what went into each group. I'm sure whole groups of statisticians are standing in amazement for your criteria filtering selection.

I suppose if your only criteria is "games", your groups make sense. But if you make your criteria "railroad games" the findings might be just a tad more relevant.

Warll

Post by Warll » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:32 am

Well what statisticians went into your group?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:55 am

To CaptinPatch and the rest who are condeming this game:

1) You CAN name your railroad. It's under options. Put a RR name instead of your own. With the download available you have over 100 logos to choose from, or make your own!
2) Look over the map....the AI doesn't choose your route, you do.
3) If you're unhappy with the choice of stations, create your own or find someone to do it for you.
4) Put better signals on the wish list. Maybe it will happen.
5) You want to have your money and the railroads money seperate??? It's your rasilroad!
6) there are stock market games out there, buy one.
7) Like most mergers, it cost to merge and when you 'retire' most of the employees, you loose money.
8) That can go on the wish list also. But hey, if you get bought out are you just going to sit there and watch the AIs' play by themselves??
9) As for starting location, it's been said if you don't like the starting location, restart the map till you get what you want.
10) And no matter what anyone says, THIS IS NOT, NOR WAS IT MEANT TO BE RRT4!!! Why are people coming on to this forum that has to do with SMR and screaming it isn't RRT4??? If you really don't like the game, 1) give it away. 2)sell it on E-bay. 3) Give it to Goodwill. 4) Throw it in the trash.

Fine, I can see your point, and alot of other peoples points, but this forum is for people to talk about what it has and needs, give to the rest of us what they have created, ask for help in trying to be creative and basicly to learn from each other.

The Admin needs to start a new section on this forum for people to condem the game so wecan keep it out of the rest of the sections.

And if anyone takes offense to what I've said, don't worry, I'll not say another word on the subject of condeming this game....

malekish

Post by malekish » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:52 pm

snoopy55 wrote:To CaptinPatch and the rest who are condeming this game:

1) You CAN name your railroad. It's under options. Put a RR name instead of your own. With the download available you have over 100 logos to choose from, or make your own!
Minor deal. Personally I can live with the default game.
2) Look over the map....the AI doesn't choose your route, you do.
Poppycock. I lay a parallel set of tracks one going thru the station and one only between two specific stations, I create a freight train between the two stops, as soon as there's a chance for it to cross over it will.
3) If you're unhappy with the choice of stations, create your own or find someone to do it for you.
Correct, because all games should come with starting positions that look like they're created by drug-addled mentally retarded ADD children and need to be fixed by the userbase.
6) there are stock maket games out there, buy one.
Because this one's a dog!
9) As for starting location, it's been said if you don't like the starting location, restart the map till you get what you want.
Most of us, myself included aren't complaining about poor starts per se, we're complaining about out-right stupid starts. Start in a village so you don't even have passengers mail and let everyone else start in a city and see how you do on tycoon, okay? Forcing to hit restart over and over is not a "feature" it's a glaring flaw. A glaring flaw that any company with any experience making games should know isn't acceptable. What's Firaxis' excuse? My dog ate my starting city placement code?
10) And no matter what anyone says, THIS IS NOT, NOR WAS IT MEANT TO BE RRT4!!! Why are people coming on to this forum that has to do with SMR and screaming it isn't RRT4??? If you really don't like the game, 1) give it away. 2)sell it on E-bay. 3) Give it to Goodwill. 4) Throw it in the trash.
Sure seemed that way by mentioning it being a "return to the classic". And what's wrong with us voicing our displeasure to the company on the closest thing it comes to an offical forum? Firaxians are here, I want them to know _why_ I'm unhappy. I want them to know _my specific complaints_ on where the game falls flat.
Fine, I can see your point, and alot of other peoples points, but this forum is for people to talk about what it has and needs, give to the rest of us what they have created, ask for help in trying to be creative and basicly to learn from each other.
Yes, a few have said wonderfully descriptive posts like "this game is teh suxx0rs' but others, myself included, have been giving clear, accurate descriptions of why the game is such a dog in hopes that Firaxus never shovels up a horrible offering like this again. You want to release this game, fine, but don't make us think this has anything related to RRT in any of it's forms because this isn't.
The Admin needs to start a new section on this forum for people to condem the game so wecan keep it out of the rest of the sections.

And if anyone takes offense to what I've said, don't worry, I'll not say another word on the subject of condeming this game....
No matter what your intent is, censoring speech that disagrees with a popular opinion does more harm than good. Removing a post that is full of profanities is one thing, but removing, restricting or otherwise harming open dialog is not the answer.

I've repeatedly said there are parts of the game I like, and if I had any sort of warning that this game was so far removed from RRT style play I wouldn't be as upset, but I feel I was misled. Including reviews that give this thing a gameplay of 9 is even more hurtful.

CaptainPatch

Post by CaptainPatch » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:54 pm

Warll wrote:Well what statisticians went into your group?
Me, for one. Once upon a time I was a Research Analyst. What are your credentials?

CaptainPatch

Post by CaptainPatch » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:57 pm

malekish wrote:
snoopy55 wrote: I've repeatedly said there are parts of the game I like, and if I had any sort of warning that this game was so far removed from RRT style play I wouldn't be as upset, but I feel I was misled. Including reviews that give this thing a gameplay of 9 is even more hurtful.
What he said.

[I love it when someone saves me the bother of typing a cogent, lengthy response. :D ]

Warll

Post by Warll » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:23 pm

CaptainPatch wrote: Me, for one. Once upon a time I was a Research Analyst. What are your credentials?
I play video games.

Tell me something:
Graphics or Gameplay?

davion76

Post by davion76 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:27 pm

Gameplay, gameplay, gameplay, gameplay, ......

Honestly I kinda wish that they had released the graphics of Sid's designed game and improved the options and tweaked the game more towards a RRT then spend all the time and money on giving beautiful graphics....

malekish

Post by malekish » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:28 pm

Well you didn't ask me but I'll answer anyhow.

Gameplay >>> Graphics.

I've still got MOO2 configured under DOSBox installed on this machine.

Aedes Aegypti

Post by Aedes Aegypti » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:47 pm

Gameplay > graphics of course, but I wouldnt want to play a new release that had gone back to 2d/sprites and a 16 colour palatte. Theres just no need for it these days

CaptainPatch

Post by CaptainPatch » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:18 am

Warll wrote:
CaptainPatch wrote: Me, for one. Once upon a time I was a Research Analyst. What are your credentials?
I play video games.

Tell me something:
Graphics or Gameplay?
As if _anyone_ visiting this forum _doesn't_? And are you differentiating between "video" games (which I refer to as "arcade" games, similar to "Doom", which rely more on reflexes than strategy) and games with graphics?

Though graphics are an entertaining enhancement to the gaming experience (as is the music track in the background), I much prefer a game that works well, has sensible and plausible models (economic, activity, etc.), and requires a hefty amount of thinking to work through.

CaptainPatch

Post by CaptainPatch » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:23 am

malekish wrote:Well you didn't ask me but I'll answer anyhow.

Gameplay >>> Graphics.

I've still got MOO2 configured under DOSBox installed on this machine.
"Master of Orion" was a damn decent game! (I still have mine, but, like a couple hundred games I keep around for old time's sake, I never boot it up.) After #2, I hoped they would do a #3 with a much larger universe; I was disappointed when that didn't happen. The closest equivalent is the "Galactic Civilizations" series.

Warll

Post by Warll » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:45 am

So what you guys are saying is that you like game play just not SMR's, you want RRT1's game play. Well if tha so then just go and install RRT1. I for one like SMR's game play I'm sure there are others but there to busy playing the game to post.