Laying complex railroad tracks

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:41 pm

Not sure, but if you change it into two Y junctions feeding into a single one, it should work fine.

So:

Y Y
Y

(hope that shows correctly(

Of course that doesn't work too well when you don't have a lot of room...

skeuri

Laying complex railroad tracks

Post by skeuri » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:42 pm

Hi,

Has anybody succeeded in creating a fully functional double (or tripple) track Y-junction where all tracks also allow you to cross over to the other "lanes" (right, middle and left).

As far as I can see a single switch doens't allow crossing over one track onto a third and the result is a chaos of smaller single switches each with its own signalposts.

Grtz, skeuri.

skeuri

Post by skeuri » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:40 pm

Thanks but that wasn't what I meant. I'm looking for a Y junction where al three legs of the Y are made up of double or even tripple tracks.

Aedes Aegypti

Post by Aedes Aegypti » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:56 pm

It would be nice to have screenshots of lovely working complex junctions. The ones I use the most are trying to get multiple trains filtering into the 3 tracks in a station. I will try to remember to take screenshots when I get something that works well

darthdroid

Re: Laying complex railroad tracks

Post by darthdroid » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:42 am

skeuri wrote:Hi,

Has anybody succeeded in creating a fully functional double (or tripple) track Y-junction where all tracks also allow you to cross over to the other "lanes" (right, middle and left).

As far as I can see a single switch doens't allow crossing over one track onto a third and the result is a chaos of smaller single switches each with its own signalposts.

Grtz, skeuri.
You probably won't enjoy my answer but here it is:

It's a bad idea. If you're into the model building side, I'm not your guy. If you're looking for how to route infinite trains with proper logistics and tight economics into one station, I am your guy.

Doubletracks, and shared tracks only as completely necessary (ie more than 4 at a station and you need more) and then that shared portion should be about 1-2mm.

-Bob the Lunatic

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:41 am

Aedes Aegypti wrote:It would be nice to have screenshots of lovely working complex junctions. The ones I use the most are trying to get multiple trains filtering into the 3 tracks in a station. I will try to remember to take screenshots when I get something that works well
For some helpful screenshots, check my 3 examples (2 right, 1 wrong) of how to do/not to do it on a thread called "max trains into a station".
-Bob the Lunatic