Upload speeds

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
Falconer
Site Admin

Upload speeds

Post by Falconer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:47 pm

All,

We've been getting some reports that uploading files to the site is slow. I've been doing some tests and... the speed is great for me while I am probably much further away from the server than any of you are (I'm in The Netherlands, the server is located in the US). I just uploaded 8Mb in around 2 minutes.

Keep in mind that the most important factor when uploading files to a website, is your own upload speed. The upload speed that you have available is very often MUCH lower than your download speed. As an example: the service I have from my ISP gives me a download speed of 6Mbit, my upload speed is 1Mbit. So uploading goes at only 1/6th of the speed at which I can download. Upload speeds of 512kb max are no exception with many ISPs.

Also keep in mind that the server does not accept uploads bigger than 15Mb.

Falconer
Site Admin

Re: Upload speeds

Post by Falconer » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:56 pm

Oh and yes, this does mean that people with slow connections, will have trouble uploading. Uploading through a website is done through process on the server that is closely monitored each time it is started. A long time issue with this is that the actual upload time is not detected as activity. Only when the upload is finished, the server process sees activity again. There is a maximum time that the server process is allowed to be inactive before it is killed. So what happens is this:

- your browser requests an upload
- server process is started
- > uploading <
- server process sees no activity during the upload for too long a period, and kills the upload while it is still in progress

There is special software that can handle long and slow uploads, but we don't have access that such software at this time, or the programming knowledge to incorporate it in the forum.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:03 pm

I think in my discussion on this either I wasn't totally clear, or you misunderstood me a bit.

The upload time is VERY fast!. Where the problem comes in is prior to the upload where you are trying to get a connection. When you go to do the upload, you get a message of "Sending request to http://www.hookedgamers.com..... which can last for varying amounts of time. If it lasts to long, the connection gets dropped. A 6.178 Mb file took 2.6 minutes to 'connect' and a .5 Mb file took 10 seconds to 'connect'. Now I have a high speed connection, 100 K or M, whichever it is. I don't know if a slower connection takes longer or not. If I'm understanding this correctly, a 15 Mb file would take about 6.3 minutes to upload. After this time, it gives some quick statement about uploading which is to fast to clearly read. I'm using Firefox.

Anyone else on this?
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:17 pm

You can check your upload speed at
http://www.speedguide.net/speedtest/

Mine is 2146 KBS

Soo, where is the bottleneck?

I am not an expert on these, but what I have seen there is a progress bar on the upload screen, the bar shows that all the data is up. At that point it just keeps churning, and churning, and churning. Finally it drops the connection. The upload screen stays on the desktop forever. Have click to shut it off.
Jancsika

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:10 pm

I am not experiencing any of that. Upload starts right away and finishes without any hickups at all. I am also using Firefox.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:11 pm

OK, here is what I'm seeing using Firefox. The line I mentioned is in the lower left below the main screen. A window pops up in the upper left and states that "The upload is currently in progress" with the blue/red line going from left to right. It's the lower line that is what we are speaking of.
Attachments
upload_Screen_2.jpg
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:04 pm

I think I understand what's going on. The animation has stopped and you think it's done, but it's not.

The upload animation is just that, an animation. Click here:

http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/styl ... ad_bar.gif
(if you concentrate and look long enough, I can make you bark like a dog, I swear)

Ignore the bar completely!. It has absolutely nothing to do with the speed of connection, uploading or anything else. It is there to make you think something is actually happening. Also ignore it on any other site where you see an upload progress bar loop (even once).

The line in the bottom-left is the actual upload process and time. It says "sending request" from the moment you push add the file. It stops when the upload is done.

If the upload is slow for you, or even disconnects, talk to your ISP. If -MY- ISP can give me a decent connection to a server half way across the world on a 6Mbit line that is pushing the ADSL line to its max at the distance that I am from the central hub, so should yours. If they can't, time to find yourself a better ISP. :)

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:51 am

I tried to upload a single file almost 9 Mb, but after less a half an hour this site refresh to start condition before I upload without warning and I must to start upload again, Why...can you explain to me what happen...????
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:01 am

Rodea2007 wrote:I tried to upload a single file almost 9 Mb, but after less a half an hour this site refresh to start condition before I upload without warning and I must to start upload again, Why...can you explain to me what happen...????
Falconer wrote:If the upload is slow for you, or even disconnects, talk to your ISP. If -MY- ISP can give me a decent connection to a server half way across the world on a 6Mbit line that is pushing the ADSL line to its max at the distance that I am from the central hub, so should yours. If they can't, time to find yourself a better ISP.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:51 am

...wow...I haven't experianced any of this...my stuff loads right up. I have a cable modem though...12meg normally runs around 9.5-10.