How do you slow down cities' growth rates?

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
The Chatanooga Choo-Choo

How do you slow down cities' growth rates?

Post by The Chatanooga Choo-Choo » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:10 am

I'm using larger maps together with time passing a lot more slowly (I think the value I used was 64). Trouble is, the cities still grow at the rate designed for the game's default passage of time, meaning that they become metropolis status far too quickly. Is there any way to slow them down a bit?
Mobo: GA-P35-S3
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2Ghz
GPU: ATI X1950XT 256Mb DDR3
RAM: Kingston 2.Gb 240pin DDR2 PC667Mhz PC5300
Sound: Audigy 4

Star Ranger4

Re: How do you slow down cities' growth rates?

Post by Star Ranger4 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:05 pm

Time does not affect city growth rates, at least not directly anyway. City and industry growth is controlled entirely by the number of carloads of goods, mail, or passengers that are picked up or delivered. The only time time DOES affect a city's growth is if you 'cut them off'; if a city or industry goes long enough without having a need met it will 'shrink' a level, but never below "small' / Village (or whatever a levl 1 town is called on your map) what you are experiencing is because you've changed how fast time flows between ticks, goods and services are effectively arriving faster at the city than the map maker intended, removing the challenges he built into the map

Burlington_Northern_3140

Post by Burlington_Northern_3140 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:37 pm

You might be able to slow down the city growth rates by looking in some of the XMLs in notepad.
Thomas
THANK YOU FOR BRINGING US RULES FORUM MODERATORS!
Whoops! I need to stop that drooling over everyones mods. Where are the paper towels?

http://www.homescda.com/

The Chatanooga Choo-Choo

Post by The Chatanooga Choo-Choo » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:08 pm

Star Ranger4 wrote:Time does not affect city growth rates, at least not directly anyway. City and industry growth is controlled entirely by the number of carloads of goods, mail, or passengers that are picked up or delivered. The only time time DOES affect a city's growth is if you 'cut them off'; if a city or industry goes long enough without having a need met it will 'shrink' a level, but never below "small' / Village (or whatever a levl 1 town is called on your map) what you are experiencing is because you've changed how fast time flows between ticks, goods and services are effectively arriving faster at the city than the map maker intended, removing the challenges he built into the map
That's most likely what happened, but I hate playing with the default time settings, time just passes far too quickly. I'll have a look at the config. files.

The Chatanooga Choo-Choo

Post by The Chatanooga Choo-Choo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:22 am

I've had a look and I can't figure it out. Does anyone know how to do it, so I can play with slower passage of time, without having the cities act like they've been taking too much Miracle-gro?

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:10 am

It depends on what you are looking for. You can have more than 4 city sizes, see the Utah and Lowell’s Florida or my LongShot scenario. You can adjust the size and number of buildings for each city type. What can not be changed is the way new industry slots are becoming available. When you reach the fourth city size all three industry slots are becoming available.
It can be still used for scenario goals. For example you can specify that the city has to grow size 6 before it will accept automobiles and has to be size 9 before it will convert the automobiles to Recycled material.
Jancsika
PS. You have to edit the "Cities.XML"
Last edited by Jancsika on Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

dwax

Post by dwax » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:11 am

There is a cheater that stops time and restarts it when you want, also gives you max money.

The Chatanooga Choo-Choo

Post by The Chatanooga Choo-Choo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:17 pm

Jancsika wrote:It depends on what you are looking for. You can have more than 4 city sizes, see the Utah and Lowell’s Florida or my LongShot scenario. You can adjust the size and number of buildings for each city type. What can not be changed is the way new industry slots are becoming available. When you reach the fourth city size all three industry slots are becoming available.
It can be still used for scenario goals. For example you can specify that the city has to grow size 6 before it will accept automobiles and has to be size 9 before it will convert the automobiles to Recycled material.
Jancsika
PS. You have to edit the "Cities.XML"
Cheers, I'll have a look at that.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:26 am

...yeah...what I do is add several more city levels...then slowly bump up the numbers of the cities goods intake/output. It has to do with the number of cars you send in and out...I wish we could edit those numbers.