MicroDEM features

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
CalmDragon

MicroDEM features

Post by CalmDragon » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:32 am

Here I am plugging away trying to figure out how to merge Data Elevation Maps in the MicroDEM program I learned about in the wiki, and then I click on GPS, Satellite predictions. Oh my, about 40 little blips started to appear on a world map. I did not expect animations to appear. Just need to board one and fly around the planet a bit. No, must forget this, and give up on merging DEMs and just do the image thing in GIMP or other none-such. When I moved the map, found a little program running the plot points. Pretty cool...
Attachments
imagine those little red dots moving every few seconds, or do it yourself.
imagine those little red dots moving every few seconds, or do it yourself.
SATTELITES.PNG (31.97 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
motherboard : Asus P5N-E SLI
processor: Dual Core 2.4 GHz
memory : 2046MB
video card: GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
operating system: winxp media
Display: 24" Dell at 1920x1200

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:00 am

Were you able to get the photo shot you wanted?

If you follow Dr. Frag's Wiki, he steps you right through it easy. Then just bring it in your pic editor and adjust the brightness and contrast. Start a blank new scenario from a blank landscape map, then do a roster layer and add the maps gray scale pic to the top white square just above the green one. Merge the lot, then place it inside your maps folder...in your scenario make sure you tell it the maps new size you made.

Fire it up...
I can make you one of an area if you like.

CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:46 am

Thanks, I did get a subset from that world map DEM, and when I painted it in at 901x901 area it looked okay in grayscale, but forgot to measure and the LA Basin filled up with water.
Made a map of Catalina Island using the directions in the Wiki, and it works great, but who wants to play on an island with one town and three villages all going for the same cattle and timber...
I wanted to try a higher resolution map and just put six DEMs together. [ 3x2 ] The shading is off on either edge of each one, but I'm learning how to use the shading blurs and smooth tools in Gimp. Still too large at 5000x3600 but I think I can scale it down to around 2400 by 1800 and pick my 901x901 from there. Malibu to San Diego includes a lot of water. Too bad, moving inland I go...
motherboard : Asus P5N-E SLI
processor: Dual Core 2.4 GHz
memory : 2046MB
video card: GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
operating system: winxp media
Display: 24" Dell at 1920x1200

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:34 am

Had the same trouble with south Florida...it was under water at first, then went back in and made it brighter and that brought it up out of the water.

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:13 am

I may have to go back and update the Wiki. MicroDEM has probably changed since I wrote all that.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:57 am

Oh no Dr. Frag...your Wiki on MicroDEM is fine...I refer to it and it works great. We were commenting on how you have to adjust the brightness and contrast on new maps to get parts above water.