10 things I like about SMR

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
jayo

10 things I like about SMR

Post by jayo » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:14 am

In the Express World forums, where alot of people talked negative about Railroads!, I thought I outta get in their faces and list 10 good reasons to get Railroads!, in spite of bugs, etc. People here were not as antagonistic to the game so I didn't put them here. But in case you guys are interested and/or couldn't go to expessworld.co.uk, here's the 10 things I like about Railroads!:

1. Sid Meier!
We thought he'd never go back to RRT, after he and the game changed hands. And the trains, which will be covered later, are more faithful to their RRT appearances. While Poptop did well with RRT 2 and 3, it is nice the series is back with its original creator. And the Original(well, really the deluxe one) RRT comes back with it, and that's saying something, you gotta admit!

2. More Realistic!
Some said it was more cartoonish. Bull-Desk! Sure it has more of an animated look, but wasn't RRT3 as well? Besides, it makes it more original! Also, cities have big buildings like real! Stations load and unload! There are even people on the pedestrian bridges and trains have drivers! Come on, people!

3. Better Graphics!
Similar to #2, but very noteworthy nonetheless. RRT3 came to town with amazing(for the time) 3D graphics, and Sid Meier's Railroads! takes it a bit further. Engines and buildings are more detaled, less polygonal, etc. The camera could use some improvement, but since I just want to look at the trains up close, I don't mind. For those that do, patience. I'm sure it wiill improve in time.

4. No Service towers
Having to monitor water & sand levels was a bit of a chore. You didn't have to do it in the original, you just paid more for maintanance. Some say that's less realistic, but hey, it's a computer game!

5. Engines!
The game brings back more of the original game's locos, like the Mogul, Ten-Wheeler, and the Claud Hamilton and then some. Good selection!

6. Train Table Mode!
RRT2 inspired, improved in Sid Meier's Railroads! And they dislike the game why?

7. Track Options!
4 Track Terminals, more than 4 parallel tracks! Less congestion!

8. Bridges and Cuts
Easier to build level trackage. Comes in quite handy!

9. Customization
Easier to reskin, and customize! Always a good thing!

10. Opening Video!
A guy with his train layout! You just gotta love it!

Now, I'll admit, the editor is not as complete, but the game is open-ended. I'm sure another update will fix all that. I know it's been a while since the last one, but then again, remember how long it was before RRT3 got it's 1.04 upgrade? I'm sure it's the same situation now. And keep updating your drivers and/or computers, as with Railroad Tycoon Deluxe, which was about as buggy as this game, maybe buggier, patches and faster computers will improve it!

Well there you go! 8) Maybe that should persuade some a you to check the game out! :)

keotaman

Post by keotaman » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:44 am

Good list.

BTW, what's wrong with the camera? Do other games do it differently?

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:59 pm

Technically I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it but it would be nice to have free flight available while the game is running not just while Paused. Also I'd like to be able to zoom all the way in to first person view (in the cab). as well as zoom out farther during play.

my .02
DF
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R mobo - Core i7 920
G.SKILL 3x1GB PC3 10666
MSI 8800GT Graphics Card
WD 150GB Raptor System Drive
WinXP Pro SP2 (LANfest Old Gamer Prize)

jayo

Post by jayo » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:53 pm

What the doctor said. I personally like to see the engines close up where they are big and detailed, like the engine info screens in the original RRT. That's why I don't like RRT2 or Rollercoaster Tycoon's 3/4 view perspective, as they don't let me see the trains close up. Since the SMR camera zooms pretty close to the engines, it's just fine for me! 8)

Demon

Post by Demon » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:51 am

One thing I realy love about this game how easy it is to create smooth turn allowing trains to move though trurn at high speed.

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:20 pm

Yes, SMR makes some nice curves unless you're turning back past your starting point. I wish there was a modifier key that when pressed it would make a constant arc instead of the spline based curves it seems to use.

jayo

Post by jayo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:11 pm

I especially like how the engines' bogies actually swivel on the curves! When you think of its relation to the other games in the series, maybe the Firaxis guys knew what they were saying when they said it's not RRT4! :roll: The Nintendo Mario games can show SMR's comparison to RRT, here I'll show you:
Many see and think of it like this:
Super Mario Bros (RRT) > Super Mario Bros 3 (SMR) and Firaxis stressed it wasn't like that, and maybe it isn't! But like this:
Super Mario Bros (RRT) > New! Super Mario Bros (SMR)
NSMB intentionally lacks some of the elements introduced between it and the original, like does SMR! You get what I'm saying?! :wink:

Howie

Post by Howie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:59 am

I like the option to change the color of your engine and trains. Making everything green is cool. :)
ImageImageImageImage
Arr...