Virus warning (admin response)

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
gulliane2

Virus warning (admin response)

Post by gulliane2 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:31 pm

VIRUS - VIRUS - VIRUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY Free version of A-Squared antivirus found a nasty virus attatched to
BASIN AND RANGE FILE THAT I HAVE JUST RECENTLY DOWNLOADED from this web site!!!!

Its called " HeuroisticArchive.bomb"

I was having all kinds of eratic issues with my computer and decided to scan. It found a few minor things. This one alerted me because of the fact
that I am not connected to internet with my own PC. I go to the Public
Library and download any files and info onto my USB flash drive.

The antivirus on my Flash drive and on my personal computer that I normally use is AVAST! It didn't catch it.

I just happened to think to do a deep scan on my computer at home with a different antivirus to to see what it would catch.

The odd thing is that I keep them updated by downloading (dangerously)
the updates and update at home. And just as recently as last weeek.

The A-Suared program that I caught worms, viruses, and trojans with that Avast didn't catch were on a Maximum PC magazine disk that came with the magazine I bought last year. It hasn't even been updated yet.

SO EVERYONE PAY ATTENTION !!!!!!!

How and where it got attached to Basin & Range file I don't know, but you all need to be aware of it and maybe someone who is responsible for this web site should temporarily pull it off until it can be resolved.

I am not angry, or surprised.

I do not hold any of you guys responsible.

I have been thouroughly enjoying all of the KICKIN' maps & mods that you guys create. They are all awesome.!!!!

I would Like to thank you all.

Thanks for reading.

GULLIANE2

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:51 pm

Well since no one else has gotten the virus I think we should bring up the possibility that it the public computer was infected. Really thats the only way I see it, unless A-Squared is just simply wrong.

gulliane2

VIRUS

Post by gulliane2 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:02 pm

Sure, its very possible that it may have come from public library, they are
known for it.

Irony of it all is that the only one issue that came up from recent is from this website.

I am not picking on this site - but it would be irresponsibel for anyone to ignore or blame someone/thing else.

So please don't ignore.

Possibly that I was the first to get it.

After all, many of the forums on this site continually have issues with many files. most of wich get resolved. Which I think is great.

Viruses can also cause alot of issues with programs!!!!!

I am disturbed that one single person in such a short period of time polled everyone.

prettry errogant

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:23 pm

I have been on this forum for nearly a year. Just me if someone complained of a virus in B&R I'd have read about it.

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:51 pm

While it is never impossible that files are infected, I'm fairly confident that in this case, there is no virus in any of these files.

Firs off, your virus scanner is known for its many 'false positives' (basically it calls something a virus when it actually isn't) and for that 'virus' in particular.

The fact that it says 'heuristic' already gives it away. 'Heuristic' is a detection method that tries to find new versions of virusses it already has it in its database. Simply put: it finds a piece of code that is similar to something it already has, and it calls it a virus. This is THE most difficult thing for any virus scanner to do, and yours doesn't do it very well.

I've just unpacked everything related to that mod and scanned it but found no virus using Avast and Avast has NEVER failed me.

gulliane2

CLEARING THE AIR

Post by gulliane2 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:07 pm

My thanks and gratitude to the adminstrator to this site for atleast taking the time to check the files for potential probs' .

The unfortunate thing is that not all antivirus programs catch it all. I have experienced several different programs myself personally and to say that
this is true. If a person really researches he'll find out as well, that they are not all fool proof. After all this is the very reason we have them in the first place anyway.

As far as Avast goes - it's going to stay on my system, becuase it has caught many problems in past.

Although I will be using one or two other programs occaisionlly to check it all.

We are not all safe, to say the least

thanks again

GeneralIndustries

re

Post by GeneralIndustries » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:57 pm

why would people put a virus on something people don't download that often

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:03 pm

Viruses are not always 'put' on a program or file. Sometimes they tend to attach themselves to something. Some are even made to ride the internet on any upload/download they can find, just doing nothing until a certain event or date, or just a countdown of some sort. Then they eat away at anything they are in. My nephew was told by a friend that anit-virus programs slow down his computer. Well, he shut them all off, and the system started getting slower and slower. When I tried to work on it I started up AVG and had to shut down the whole thing and format it. AVG had found 75 viruses and had just started the search. And Ad-Aware had not even really started updating!

There are people out there that feel a need to write programs (viruses) just to say they did, or not to say anything. They never know the results, if any. It's really a waste of great programming skills. There are people that won't connect their system to the internet because of fear. I have three "FREE" programs that update themselves and keep me virus/ad free with only a 'go ahead and upgrade' entry needed now and then.

I feel secure and worry free.

And virus free. :wink:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

GeneralIndustries

re

Post by GeneralIndustries » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:10 am

a great antivurus progam is kaskersy internet security you can get it here
http://upload66.com/file/16665/kis2009- ... s-rar.html[/url]