Done !

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
wilburt99

Done !

Post by wilburt99 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:35 am

I like this forum!

I wish I could say the same about Sid Meier and his Railroads; I think Sid & Cie should be ashamed bringing an unfinished product on the market.
:evil:
Four times install and uninstall.
Finito amigos.

jayo

Post by jayo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:26 pm

I like this forum, too. I also wish I could say the same about Sid and Railroads! Well... come to think of it, I CAN! :) It's not their fault it was buggy, They did their best in the time alotted. Since no 2 computers are alike, some bugs don't get discovered until after release. I just upgraded my drivers and the game works fine. I thinks Sid and them all should be proud for bringing a new addition to the RR Tycoon series after Poptop's apparent demise. 8)

K-class

Post by K-class » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:44 am

Heres another spin thanks Sid because of the fully finished and beta tested product (yeah not) we have this forum.

We have now got some great maps and some great train mods.

Would we have got this if it was a 9 out 10? maybe the game would have grown a huge fan base maybe not.

I think the because of what we got it spurred people on to look under the hood and fix the CTD's and maps. (sorry Vista people yours issues are a half released OS like Sid Meier's Railroads)

Thanks to everyone on this forum for there input. The maps, installers & trains and to the rest of us map beta testers.

I'm writing this because it may give hope and faith to new people to persevere with this game and I still recommend this game to people as after all the mods and maps its playable and I loving the challenge and its a cheap game to buy, its fun. Remember it wont be Microsoft Train Simulator http://www.microsoft.com/games/trainsimulator/ :D
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:36 am

If you're still viewing this forum wilburt99, don't give up. post your system specs and tell us what you did and what your problems are. We may still be able to help :D
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Bal

Post by Bal » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:49 am

I Agree Wilburt,i'm done with this peice of crap too.this is the worst game I've ever purchased as far as bugs and other flaws go. I rarely can finish a scenario.I've gotten so frustrated with all the crashes that I've taken it off the HDD and reinstalled RRT3. At least iI can finish a scenario with RRT3. Maybe in 6 mos or a year i'll check back to see if the game has been fixed in 6 mos or a year.(Only because I hate the thought of being duped into buying this peice of crap to begin with.)

Later

dwax

Post by dwax » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:02 pm

I hate to see people leave because of bad software,but can see the point. I do alot of beta testing, and this sure seems beta. The main thing you want to remember, if you bought the game and have trouble, notify the people that made it. Demand that they fix it. And for the people that have Win Vista, Tell them by email that this game needs a patch!! The more emails that Firaxis and Sid Meier's get the better. :)

Wingo

Post by Wingo » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:05 pm

Why, oh why, do I continue to torture myself. Railroads still sits near my CD drive ready to spin when it should long ago have been relegated to the lowest slot on the CD rack. I search new posts daily only to find the latest news is that Vista is just another operating system and that general chat is still filled with hopeful Railroad enthusiasts.

It has long been obvious to me, if not to anyone else, that there were and still are many who's computers can't handle some unknown operation or feature of Railroads programming. Mine, naturally, is still one of those. The very elusiveness of this problem fascinated me at first and so I applied every suggestion posted in just about every combination without success.

So, every now and then, I scan these posts lookging for some new information. None is to be had. Firaxis isn't responding, Take2 has taken another direction and poor Sid is probably cringing under his desk.

Now, so that no one will get on my case for spewing without giving enough specs for you to analyze my quandry:

Dell XPS 600 (Yes, that's dual core, yes, I've tried affinity)
XP Professional, SP2 (Yes, I've reinstalled from format)
2 GIG RAM (Yes, I blew good cash on more memory just for Railroads)
Creative X-Fi (Yes, I've updated drivers)
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX (Yes, I've updated drivers AND downgraded)

Typical symptoms; CTD, CTD, freeze, CTD, freeze and CTD.

Or maybe I should just end it all by inscribing CTD on the shiny side of Railroads with a steady hand and a hot soldering iron.

Slappy Da Clown

WAIT !!!! DONT GO !!!!!

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:27 pm

OK OK We aint gonna beg ya.

The guys ( Kclsss, snoopy, & dwax ) are right.

Them guys know I dont know about the coding & stuff involved in this game, but , I do know about computers. I was ready to trash the game to at 1st. With some investigation you can figure out whats causing your CTDs. I wont say I dont have them any more but new maps notwithstanding they are few & far between.

The biggest deal I have found so far is video cards. Nvidia should be running the latest update (ForceWare Release 90
Version: 93.71
Release Date: November 2, 2006 )

The old driver NEEDS to be uninstalled in Safe Mode, otherwise it will leave bits behind & corrupt the new intallation. Its important that your computer be free of spy/malware. They use resources needed by the game. Also you should not be running any unneeded applications while playing , I have friends who like to play their music & check their emails & shop online all while they are gaming is running & then they wonder why they crash.

The biggest deal is dont give up. Ask here for help. There are lots of very nice people here & they will all help if asked.

Belly up to the bar fellas the clowns buyin
Slappy Da Clown
Dell Dimension 8400
Disk C: 118 GB Available, 145 GB Total
3GB Memory
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.60GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:24 pm

Slappy - you hit the nail on the head. :shock:

I just got an email ad for a product called PC Pitstop Optimize 1.5. It had a download to check your system. I ran it. Boy the S**T on my system and the needed settings that were wrong or not even there :!: It's a $30 program, but I'm sure there are freeware versions out there.

Then there is TweakGuide by Koroush Ghazi that tells you not only how to optimize your system for normal use (and programs to help you do it) but also for certain games. (now only if he'd do one for this one)

We've helped others with problems, and even brought at least one person back from the dead. We've had people complain about a map or new item not working only to realize themselves that they forgot to put something in they needed. (heck, I was working on a language change and wondering why the game couldn't find it. Well, it helped VERY much when I put it in with the rest of the maps instead of in my download folder :roll: )

Wingo - when did it CTD, what were you loading, what game files were on your system? Have you cleaned your system. Have you looked to your Windows Task Manager to see what else might be running? Have you tried only core 1 or core 2(excuse me if affinity does that, not my thing yet) While I thank you for the system info, how about the rest?

And anyone else?? While you have read this forum to solve your problem, have you seen the problems our members have worked out?

stumbles as he steps down from the soapbox that he doesn't have...'gotta find a new soapbox....'
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

jayo

Post by jayo » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:35 pm

I have sent pm's to gackbeard and another firaxis guy. They haven't replied yet, so they may be up to something... Rather than a mere patch, I've suggested maybe making an expansion pack for Railroads! that'd have more bug fixes, more, larger maps, more engines, and an improved editor. I hope they do that 8)

dwax

Post by dwax » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:32 pm

jayo wrote:I have sent pm's to gackbeard and another firaxis guy. They haven't replied yet, so they may be up to something... Rather than a mere patch, I've suggested maybe making an expansion pack for Railroads! that'd have more bug fixes, more, larger maps, more engines, and an improved editor. I hope they do that 8)

Go right to the source :twisted: go to Firaxis and email them. :twisted: :lol:

EDIT:

I will find all the email address and post them! :lol:
Last edited by dwax on Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:33 pm

How about we organize a mas e-mailing?

gforce

Post by gforce » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:44 pm

if someone got a problem with the game,
hop,
immediatly they show up,
the bodyguards of firaxis...

it's not allowed to say the truth,
it's not allowed to have another way of modelling,
it's not allowed to say f**k you,

but it is allowed to sell a game in such a state and not even release a patch to help,
and hé, even if the game doesn't crash, the settings are so badly set that you will not even care what your trains will be doing, how much money you will have etc...
if you play in train table mode or not, who cares...
i might think that maybe sid meier didn't had a bad idea, and he's not the fault (i believe that sid meier will also realise now that selling a good-game-idea to uncapable implementers is a lost-game-idea, or does this sid meier even don't excists and is just a smurf), so it's just that the settings doesn't make sense or have any impact... and because of this, unluckily most of the moddellers are using most of the normal settings so they will end up with the same gameplay (wich in some cases is still saved by being creative with scenario goals... wich is pretty well done!)

i do have alot better things (i call it things, because i do not really care about finishing a map till the end) wich are running just fine,
should i post them?
the bodyguards are holding me back, because they want you modelling in a way without really changing the gameplay, neither change too much on the global settings etc...
and if it's not that, it's just the bad feeling i get if i read some messages written by them, too cold, too unpersonnal, too old, too moderated, too defensive and aggressive to everyone that post something bad about a game... don't forget you guys, there's is something like freedom of speech for everyone and there's something like being clean with your conscience

so yes, even after such a bad release, firaxis is even responsible for the fact that more advanced usermaps are being released, because i'm not posting them, because a lot of modelling-people just hate all those restrictions and have a happy life doing their thing with other modelling-people on another game, wich give you much more reward for the effort... maybe it's cool for firaxis we do alot of testing on what give problems and what can be done, but believe me if your goal is not to find problems in the game and just want to have control on the game; testing and retrying every 5mins isn't such a intresting hobby (job without a pay-check)...

brw: i don't need a reply on this, just admit!

gforce

Post by gforce » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:52 pm

Warll,
would a mass-email with 5.000 f*** y**s help?
if you count all the posts that say more or less the same,
we've got already a mass-email of no less then 3.000 :roll:

dwax

Post by dwax » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:54 pm

Email address... Toll free number Web site complaint form. The more that complain to them the better! :twisted:

usa@take2support.com

Public Relations Contact
Eric Monacelli
inquiries@2kgames.com

support@Firaxis.com <--- this can be modified :twisted:

http://www.firaxis.com/company/gamefeedback.php

Or Call: 1-866-219-9839 This is Firaxis Toll free number.