4 Rivers Conversion

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Earthworm

4 Rivers Conversion

Post by Earthworm » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:45 pm

OK, I know this is a simple Mod, but I liked it. I took the original Multiplayer/Custom game with the 4 rivers, and instead of using the European commodities, I switched it to use the US NorthWest resources. I also changed all of the cities to start the map to Villages, except for 4, I changed those to Cities. None of the cities are directly next to any of the starting locations, to insure a relatively fair game start to all players.

The only thing i haven't figured out how to do is change the citiy names. Everytime I modify the City names that city is now "The No Name City" in-game.

If anyone has figured out how to rename cities please let me know.

I will post the new scenario here this evening.
Attachments
Multiplayer_NW_SAM.zip
(3.35 MiB) Downloaded 336 times
4_Rivers_Conversion.jpg
4_Rivers_Conversion.jpg (20.65 KiB) Viewed 10616 times
Setup_MPNW_1[1].0.zip
(152.31 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
Multiplayer_NW.zip
(114.12 KiB) Downloaded 333 times

akmad

Quick info about city names...

Post by akmad » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:56 pm

Each scenario defines which cities it has in the RRT_Cities_<Scenario>.xml file. The "/RRTCities/City/szName" element is the tag of the city which is then given a normal name in the \Assets\Localization\Names_<Locale>.xml file.

It may be possible to create your own tags and add them to the Names_<Locale>.xml file; however I haven't tried this. Note that changing a city name will result in it being changed for ALL scenarios that use that city.

Hope that helps.

Akmad

d53642

Post by d53642 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:43 pm

If you set your new maps up as I did in my test to Multiplayer_09, what I did was copy the 08 folder and renamed the copy of it to 09.

Next you must go into the RRT_Scenario_MP09.xml and change any ref in there that tells it to use the 08 scenario to 09.

Then goto the cities file RRT_Cities_MP09.xml and rename all the cities tags _08_ to _09_ ( quickest way is to tell it to replace all _08_ to _09_ )

Also make sure you rename the cities and scenario files in the folder to 09 from 08.

This is where I was stumped until akmad posting.

Goto Sid Meier's Railroads!\Assets\Localization

Open Names_ENU.xml

I copied all the 08 tags to a new text doc, changed the 08 tags to 09 then inserted them back into the localization file under the 08 tags and above the uk tags not overwriting anything. You don't have to change the city names inside the Multi09 folder in assests xml you can leave them as is for example.

RRT_Cities_MP09.xml

</RRTCityTypes>
<City>
<szName>TAG_MP_09_NAME_BASS</szName>
<Type>City</Type>
<StartX>310</StartX>
<StartY>230</StartY>
<Rotation>-135.000000</Rotation>
<bIsStartLocation>false</bIsStartLocation>
<szDefaultTrackSide>SOUTH</szDefaultTrackSide>

Names_ENU.xml

<TextKey>
<Tag>TAG_MP_09_NAME_BASS</Tag>
<Text>TEST</Text>
<Gender>M</Gender>

Now if you look, the names_enu file reads the tag and finds that take for the MP 9 scenario and matches the citys, for the cities name to change ingame you only need change the Text line in names_enu.xml for it to show in game.

I know I am not a teacher but hopefully this helps you understand.

d53642

Post by d53642 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:06 pm

Tried experimenting with map size and it turns the map all to water if you adjust the size of the tga map files.

brilhasti

Post by brilhasti » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:03 pm

d53642 wrote:Tried experimenting with map size and it turns the map all to water if you adjust the size of the tga map files.
Maybe there's another factor you're neglecting.

I definitely need to do some research on this, but like in Sim City IV, the game would import a grey-scaled .jpg and generate the height data from how dark or light the colors were. Zero - pure black - was as low as you could go, quite a bit underwater, and naturally 255 was the tallest mountain.

Somewhere around 70 was water level.

Is there any chance something like this is going on in Railroads too? I haven't even looked at any of the TGAs yet so this is a very uneducated guess.

d53642

Post by d53642 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:25 pm

Heres my first edited map image.

I have to relocate the cities to new x y locations and its a bit small but I was just testing it out.

This was testing out the black color for ditch depth and map editing.
http://www.cdnguild.net/photos/smr001.jpg

This picture was testing out the white color for mountain height.
http://www.cdnguild.net/photos/smr002.jpg

Let me know what ya think.

Also to your reply, from what I can tell. The darker the color the deeper the ditch is, if you go down deep enough it makes water. But this is a pretty big thing to have done so far. I still have some more to figure out on it.

Daryl

d53642

Post by d53642 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:00 pm

After doing some more editing, the biggest I can make the map by resizing without have the map flood is 604, 605 makes it flood. I haven't tried.

Also under my test scrolling method it takes 6 seconds to move from one side of the screen to the other under normal size, with resizing it takes about 10 secs.
Last edited by d53642 on Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:08 pm

That's some mountain there. :)

Maybe we should have a 'maps' forum?

Earthworm

Post by Earthworm » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:10 pm

d53642 wrote:After doing some more editing, the biggest I can make the map by resizing without have the map flood is 140, 150 makes it flood. I haven't tried 141-149 yet.

Also under my test scrolling method it takes 6 seconds to move from one side of the screen to the other under normal size, with resizing it takes about 10 secs.
I am a little confused by 140 and 150. The maps are all 601 pixels wide. Are you changing the size from 1 of the xml files?

d53642

Post by d53642 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:29 pm

all the maps are 601x601

Highest the maps will goto is 604x604, making the map 605x605 will cause the file to become 101% its normal size and make it flood. I am not sure if thats all the game will read or if I am missing something.

d53642

Post by d53642 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:29 am

Not sure what I changed now, but I can't even get it to 604x604 on the map I am working on. I modifed the tree section, rocks and town layout.

Earthworm

Uploaded file

Post by Earthworm » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:32 am

Here is a copy of the NorthWest modified version of Rivers' Run.

The scenario uses the NorthWest's resources, trains, and cities. There are only 4 Cities on the entire map to start with, and none of them are close to starting locations. All other locations are villages, soeveryone should be on a level playing field to start.

I had to use some of the existing names from the NorthEast Scenario since there were way more city names in the River's Run then there was in the NorthWest Scenario. Remember if you edit the Names_ENU.xml file you cannot share your scenarios without everyone using that file. I have not figured out how to add your own Names.xml file to a specific scenario.

I also borrowed the tga file from the original Rivers' Run folder to keep the uploaded Zip file small. Let me know if anyone has any problems using this file.

You should be able to unzip this file into your Assets\XML\_SCENARIOS_ Folder, and it will show up when you play. I have no idea what will happen if you try to play this map in multiplayer, when the other player does not have the scenario.
Attachments
Multiplayer_NW.zip
(114.12 KiB) Downloaded 426 times

Earthworm

Post by Earthworm » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:29 pm

For those interested in how to modify the resources of a map, there are 2 files that are important.

First, the Main scenario xml file. In here Change the <GoodsXMLFile> to the goods you want to use, and the <IndustryXMLFile> to the matching industries you want to use.

Second is the Cities XML. After the list of city models, there will be a tag for <RRTCityTypes> By the way, i love that everything about the actual code of the game assumes that the game was going to be RailRoad Tycoon. :oops: Anyway back on topic, After this tag is the definition of what each sized city does. So for the Matropolis, it states the number of buildings in the graphic, but after that it sets up the city for what resources it will consume, and demand at that size. I copied the City definitions directly from the NorthWest Scenario, but you could actually completely change what each type of city uses, and produces.

Once you have that section complete then the City XML file goes into the placement of the cities around the map.

The simple explination is, the <GoodsXMLFile> setting in the Scenario XML File sets what Resource plants will be scattered around the map, <IndustryXMLFile> sets what industries will be available randomly in cities, and the <RRTCityTypes> setting in the Cities XML file sets up what the villages/city/towns etc will consume. I hope this helps.

Edit: had the industry tag missing for the changes.

Gackbeard

Post by Gackbeard » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:19 pm

Earthworm wrote:By the way, i love that everything about the actual code of the game assumes that the game was going to be RailRoad Tycoon. :oops:
Don't read too much into that, most of those files were created back when the game was nothing more than a prototype, and I really didn't want to rename 150+ files...

Earthworm

Post by Earthworm » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:55 am

Gackbeard wrote: Don't read too much into that, most of those files were created back when the game was nothing more than a prototype, and I really didn't want to rename 150+ files...
I guess it should be me with the :oops:

I was pretty sure it was a marketing thing in the end to have it renamed, I was just playing off of all the comments I have read on other message boards of people complaining of how they felt mislead by the whole name thing.

I totally understand the reasons, hope I didn't offend. I am really enjoying the game, and the ease of modding so far!