Arizona Gold V2.4 PcMac

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
karsten

Re: Arizona Gold V2.3

Post by karsten » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:05 am

Hi Larry,

Arizona Gold is one of the earlier maps - and I purposely stayed with the original assets, just changing their function, to minimize risk of malfunction.

Perhaps this is why people have found that Arizona runs well on Mac SMR. If I post a version of the map with updated timestamps, would there be volunteers to test the map for full Mac compatibility? :D

laloha

Re: Arizona Gold V2.3

Post by laloha » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:56 am

I would be glad to test the map though I do not have the Mac.

I have the Win7 x 64 and WinXP x 32 on a dual boot system.

Thanks for asking and hope you have another successful map for all venues. Knowing your success with your past maps and your testing of others, with knowledgeable response and suggestions for possible improvements, this should be another great addition.

Larry

karsten

Re: Arizona Gold V2.4

Post by karsten » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:16 am

Here is Arizona Gold V2.4 PcMac.

I updated the crucial files (screenshot), but otherwise this version is largely unchanged from the previous one.

It would be great if some of the Mac users could test this version and let us know whether it runs without problems on their copy of SMR. :D
Attachments
Arizona_Canyon_V2_4_PcMac.zip
(939.89 KiB) Downloaded 945 times
AZCanyonV4_2.jpg
AZCanyonV4_2 routes.jpg
AZCanyonV4_2 Las Vegas Gold.jpg

weili

Re: Arizona Gold V2.4

Post by weili » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:49 pm

karsten wrote:Here is Arizona Gold V2.4 PcMac.

I updated the crucial files (screenshot), but otherwise this version is largely unchanged from the previous one.

It would be great if some of the Mac users could test this version and let us know whether it runs without problems on their copy of SMR. :D
Thanks Karsten but is the attached zip complete? I wasn't able to expand it. :(

---

I'm not sure if the attached was meant to be the same as the AZ Canyon map in the database. I did download and try the latter. It worked fine for a few minutes but then crashed.

karsten

Re: Arizona Gold V2.4 PcMac

Post by karsten » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:28 pm

The zip file opens fine with WinRar on my Windows machine.

This zip is specially adapted to work on Mac SMR, so please try again - otherwise, what zip program should I use for max compatibility with Mac? :cry:

weili

Post by weili » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:41 pm

karsten wrote:The zip file opens fine with WinRar on my Windows machine.

This zip is specially adapted to work on Mac SMR, so please try again - otherwise, what zip program should I use for max compatibility with Mac? :cry:
Well, the attached file is only about 900K, whereas the file in the map database is more than 5MB. :?

karsten

Post by karsten » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:56 pm

"the file in the map database is more than 5MB."

No wonder that file crashes. It has a humongous .fpk file included. I will investigate how that got into there. :x

In the mean time, I really would try the new zip file, it should work fine.

Warll

Post by Warll » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:08 am

Good chance that mainpage version is outdated. Could you point me to a proper version to update it with?

weili

Post by weili » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:21 pm

karsten wrote:"the file in the map database is more than 5MB."

No wonder that file crashes. It has a humongous .fpk file included. I will investigate how that got into there. :x

In the mean time, I really would try the new zip file, it should work fine.
I'm afraid the attached zip still won't let me unzip :( Just to be sure, I tried it on three Macs.

karsten

Post by karsten » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:23 pm

Hmmm.... which zip program do you use?

karsten

Post by karsten » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Warll, please use the version posted above on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:16 am

It is supposed to be compatible for both Mac and Pc. Sofar downloaded by 41 people here without complaints, but weili seems to have a problem with it.
Regards :D

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:42 am

Thank you Karsten, I've updated the map db version to your latest.

railage

Post by railage » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:09 pm

I like to play on RB without patents. This gives extra challenge especially on a map such as this where distances are long and resources scarce. I managed to get through the first era starting from Flagstaff when I last visited the map, but failed the net worth and thought that a patent was necessary to complete 1st era from Ash Fork. Will repeat that Barstow start doesn't allow a legitimate, money-making connection above Mogul level even with cheapest track, so leaving that one alone.

On this re-visit, focused on Ash Fork start. Key was a more efficient setup using a Y-shaped track that would accommodate two trains, setup so they would wait/pass just below the fork. See 1st image. This was later optimized of course.

Built to Kingman as soon as possible, August 1890, and earned a bit extra from that to help finance final push to Needles, just in time to complete the first era, with a shortcut straight over the mountain range.

As second era started, continued saving to push to Phoenix. Arrived May 1902. Invested in developing the area for a few years, forgot about grain farm in southeast. Connected to Barstow in May 1909. Immediately began passenger hauls. Running 6 trains once enough passing places were built, at near-profitable thanks to routing shown in 2nd image. This may have been the intent all along, but it went over my head on previous attempts. Had to add a 7th train at the end for the final hauls before the time limit was up.

While the haulage was ticking away, after track improvements, passing tracks and switching to a dedicated Flagstaff-Ash Fork pattern with 2 trains, started producing Gold in 1924. For demand built a Bank in Ash Fork. Then all earnings went towards 2nd era task completion.

Plan for 3rd era was a Hotel in Needles for main express route to/from Las Vegas, Furniture Plants in Clarksdale and Ash Fork, Steel Mill in Skull Valley, Furniture Plant in Phoenix, all to chase net worth before starting Barstow-Las Vegas hauls in 1944, two trains.

Rest should be obvious from the attached saved game. Trick to grow Parker was to run there from Glendale. One train. At the same time, Phoenix to Grand Canyon. Two trains. In the final years, one of these was diverted to run passengers up to Skull Valley after it had grown.

Used less track than previous efforts, see 3rd image, benefit was that I ran routes already setup to support multiple trains. Gold and Weapons took a longer route to get to Las Vegas, but net worth only just reached $40M, my thought was that spending more on track would have dropped net worth, and probably in net taken longer. Take a look at the saved game for the details on how passing tracks, junctions, and crossovers were setup.

Conclusion: This map looks awesome. All the effort of play testing shows. Meager resources and juicy task kept the game alive economically throughout the eras when played in this way. A rare thing, normally map designers only manage to keep the first era tight when going for challenge. Thanks Karsten! :D
Attachments
Initial track build
Initial track build
Y starting track setup.jpg (199.82 KiB) Viewed 17731 times
2nd era haulage
2nd era haulage
Barstow-Ash Fork, Needles Lumber run.jpg (325.05 KiB) Viewed 17731 times
Final track configuration
Final track configuration
Arizona routing map.jpg (211.66 KiB) Viewed 17731 times
Arizona Ash Fork RB, no patents, 1962.7z
saved game, it's V2.4