Victory conditions

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
Camberus

Re: Victory conditions

Post by Camberus » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:25 am

Thank you so much for the tip on the XML editor. I have been trying all day to troubleshoot the cause of my scenario not starting, and this thread described the results I was getting (and the fix) perfectly. Microsoft's XML notepad told me exactly at which line the error was located!

markgaz

Post by markgaz » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:01 pm

Glad to hear that worked for you Camberus.

Having recently got into modding Railroads (although having played it for years) I found similar issues as described above with editors.

I couldn't get Microsoft's XML Notepad to work correctly. Whatever files I changed - including scenario - completely failed to be recognised.

I swapped to Notepad++ and it has worked perfectly from day one. Regardless of which of the files I edit. And the pretty print function (especially after setting tab size to 4) is just wonderful. I like Notepad++ more and more as I use it. Highly recommended as the tool to use.

Now on an unrelated issue if I can only get my scenario to stop crashing 2 eras into the game... grrrr... :)

m

billw

Post by billw » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:26 pm

OK, I'm a newbie, but as far as Notepad, etc. is concerned, this is what happens. By default, Notepad same a file with the UTF-8 coding. When it does that, it adds some extra code in the file, and will cause problems.

If you use Wordpad, that worse, because unlike Notepad, which adds just a LF character after each line, Wordpad adds a CR/LF to each line. I do a lot of work between Windows and Unix, and Unix doesn't like CR's.

So, when saving a file in Notepad, change the text type to "ANSI", which should save the file cleanly. I tried it with SMR and my modified scenario files now works fine.

Bill

CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:37 pm

markgaz wrote:Now on an unrelated issue if I can only get my scenario to stop crashing 2 eras into the game... grrrr... :)

m
Sounds like an events XML file issue. Make sure you have events only for goods that are in your scenario. Also the global ones about the economy in general are safe to be the only ones.
motherboard : Asus P5N-E SLI
processor: Dual Core 2.4 GHz
memory : 2046MB
video card: GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
operating system: winxp media
Display: 24" Dell at 1920x1200