slider38

My_Old_Kentucky_Home_SAM

Post by slider38 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:06 pm

Map: My_Old_Kentucky_Home_SAM

Created By: Slider38

This map features new goods, industries, engines and new music
My_Old_Kentucky_Home.jpg
My_Old_Kentucky_Home.jpg (15.05 KiB) Viewed 13223 times
Please check the Readme file for additional game information.
PLEASE SEE NEXT ENTRY FOR ADDITIONAL NEEDED FILES!
Attachments
MOKH_Part4.7z
(5.34 MiB) Downloaded 759 times
MOKH_Part3.7z
(5.63 MiB) Downloaded 846 times
MOKH_Part2.7z
(5.57 MiB) Downloaded 534 times
MOKH_Part1.7z
(6.65 MiB) Downloaded 695 times

slider38

Re: My_Old_Kentucky_Home_SAM

Post by slider38 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:22 pm

My_Old_Kentucky_Home_SAM - PART TWO

These files need to be included with the files shown in PART ONE above.

The Readme file is posted below.

I hope you enjoy the map and are up for a challenge. Slider
Attachments
My_Old_Kentucky_Home_Readme_v2.txt
(12.12 KiB) Downloaded 560 times
MOKH_Part7.7z
(3.8 MiB) Downloaded 497 times
MOKH_Part6.7z
(5.51 MiB) Downloaded 515 times
MOKH_Part5.7z
(5.83 MiB) Downloaded 501 times

slider38

Post by slider38 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:33 am

I have been told that with some larger maps it is necessary to de-compress the FPK files in order to get the map to run. If you have a problem running the map from the FPK files, de-compress the FPKs into the UserMaps folder and give it another try. Slider

slider38

Post by slider38 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi Guys, Just a heads-up. I started playing this map again this morning from the FPK files. While the game was running fine, I realized that I wasn't hearing any music. I went in and unpacked the Audio FPK and eureka - the music was back. I guess you can't trust the FPKs. When in doubt, unpack them. In the future I don't think I'll even bother with them - just compress the raw files. Slider

karsten

Post by karsten » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:01 pm

And I say AMEN to that. :P

I downloaded your files this morning, unzipped them, no problem, but no matter where I put those fpks, SMR would crash immediately.

So I unpacked all them fpks and put them nicely in the UserMaps folder (see below) and bingo, the map works!

Mighty fine music, just the kind I like. Lots of attractive new buildings and waggons as well.

VERY light on Kentucky scenery tho. Well, I'm off to play your map :D
Attachments
Kentucky 01.jpg
Kentucky 02.jpg
TheKentuckyRiver021.jpg

slider38

Post by slider38 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:31 am

Glad you got it working ok Karsten. While I won't argue the scenery issue (you could put the Daniel Boone National Forest on the map and you'd never find anything) you will note the "bluegrass" area around Lexington?

Hope you enjoy. Slider

karsten

Post by karsten » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:37 pm

Excellent map, this, with tremendous replay value, if you enjoy optimizing your performance! I first finished it on easy Financier, then again with three AI and lastly as Robber Baron against three AI, which was tough! I certainly would not have gotten through the second era but for the unexpected help of one AI player, who started to produce steel in Tell City just when I needed it 8)

Kentucky is rock-stable, not a single crash, loads first time every time, no lag as the routes grow, it has a proper event file, original achievement screens, what more could you wish for! The only teeny error I spotted was a typo in the (sic) Lousiville & Nashville logo, and perhaps even that is an intentional little joke :D

The mods and skins are an enrichment. Lots of sweet little details - and scenario traps for the unwary. OK, so there isn't any clutter (aka trees and rocks) or scenery, but after a while, one scarcely notices as the battle against time and the AI players hots up.

Well done, Slider!
Attachments
Kentucky.jpg
Kentucky WIN 3b2 .jpg
Kentucky Routes 003.jpg
Kentucky 08.jpg

slider38

Post by slider38 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:25 pm

Thank you for the kind words Karsten. I hope others will give it a try. Slider

Warll

Post by Warll » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:31 pm

I've set MOKH to go up on the front page in a day. If you want to make any changes tell me and I'll delay it.

otto

Post by otto » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:52 pm

Can you pleaze tell me how to unpack those FPK files? I use Izarc and it does not work :(

I really want to play this map :)

Tnx

slider38

Post by slider38 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:50 pm

Hi Otto,
I am aware of two free programs that will handle FPK files - Dragon Unpacker and PakBuild. The one that I use for unpacking files is Dragon Unpacker. It's is a free download available at a number of sites. Here is one location where you can get it, but if you search Yahoo or probably any other search engine, you will find it listed. The version I have is number 5, but I see they now have a version 6 available. It is not a big program. Simple to use. Just install Dragon Unpacker and then double-click on the FPK file that you want to unpack. You may have to tell Windows or whatever operating system you are using, to associate the FPK file type with Dragon Unpacker the first time you use it.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dragonunpacker/ You can also use Dragon Unpacker to view or unpack the FPK files that come with the game. Thanks very much for your interest. Slider

Tims

Post by Tims » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:38 pm

Hello Slider,

My name is Tim, im new to this community.
thank you for your kind post to explain how the dragonunpacker works. I downloaded the tool and can open the fpk files.

The only problem is that I am not able to extract the files to a folder. When i open the fpk files and click on the map to the left and choose extract to, nothing happens. I see the green bar going to 100%, but there are no files actually being extracted.

I run windows 7, have you ever heard of this problem before or am i doing something completely wrong.

Thnaks in advance.

Tim

karsten

Post by karsten » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:58 pm

I use PakBuild.exe from Firaxis and it allows you to choose both source and destination file when unpacking. :D

slider38

Post by slider38 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:37 pm

Hi Tim, No problem. This is what you need to do.
1. Double-click on the FPK file you want to open.
2. Click on the top file in the list, hold your shift key down and then arrow down until all the files are highlighted. (In a case where you only want some files, you can hold the Ctrl key down and just click on the files you want).
3. Once the files are highlighted, right-click on one - any one - and then, while holding the right mousebutton down, move your cursor to the right. You should see something like this:
unpack1.jpg
Now left_click on the button that says "without convertion".
4. You will see a drop-down box like this:
unpack2.jpg
You just need to navigate to your Usermaps file and click OK. For this example, I created a folder called Unpack Test. After hitting the OK button, I look in the Unpack Test folder and viola:
unpack3.jpg
There are the files from the FPK.

I hope that gets you going. Slider

hubbert

Post by hubbert » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:11 pm

Hi guys,

Please forgive me if I ask something that may have already been covered, but I am a HUGE fan of this game, yet somewhat computer illiterate.

So I download the monarchy map to the user maps folder, extracted all the files to user maps, ran the dragon unpacker to unpack the FPK files to the user maps folder as explained above.

The map shows up with the others provided in the base game, but when I run it, the game crashes to desktop. What am i doing wrong? Running on windows 7, playing on mogul against no AI players.