CRASHING-Cheklist!!!!

Trouble getting the game to run? Ask here!
Jancsika

CRASHING-Cheklist!!!!

Post by Jancsika » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:37 pm

I am trying to make list of basic checklist for people with crashing problems.
Here is the start of it.
If you can think of more, please post it, here and I will move it to the top list.
This will be a basic and consistent reference.

Basic Checklist:
1. Firaxis patch 1.10 installed.
2. Railroads.EXE is set Windows XP, service pack #3
3. Clean UserMaps Folder:
a/ Delete C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads! Folder
b/ Start a new game. (This will create a new C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\UserMaps Folder.)
4. For Custom maps: Unzip the compressed file directly into the UserMaps folder.
5.Set the Shader: Options Menu, Graphic Options, Shader: Set it to “Medium”
6. Memory: (RAM).
a/ Close all background programs. (Virus checker etc.)
b/ For larger map you will need more than 2 Gb memory. Install the 3 Gb enabler.
http://www.smrsimple.com/2009/12/play-l ... b-enabler/
7. Virtual memory setting in windows XP, up to 4 Gb. (Thanks keotaman,post below), Swap file!!
8. Check for correct RRT_Events.XML file.
9. Have a video card with at least 64 Kb memory. Integrated graphics or on-board graphics will not work!!!

Jancsika
Last edited by Jancsika on Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added items Aug 8,2010

keotaman

Re: CRASHING-Cheklist!!!!

Post by keotaman » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:12 am

Jancsika wrote:...
If you can think of more, please post it, here and I will move it to the top list.
The One thing that helped my WinXP, and stopped the crashes, was:
Virtual Memory
Setting Virtual Memory (swap or page file) to 2048Mb (even 3 or 4Gb [4096]can work), both min & max so it is a STATIC swap file rather than changing size to accomodate applications, works well.
(Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance-Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory-Change)

It is listed in the Wiki, under troubleshooting.

MasteRyder

Post by MasteRyder » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:35 pm

Just a note... To solve my crashing problems I installed IOBit's Game Booster. It's a FREE program until June 30, 2012. After that, if you didn't get it there's a price.Works great for me...

pumanator

Post by pumanator » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:16 am

my old disc went missing so I repurchased game on Steam. Installed on the D drive and then went to load patch. It won't unzip to the correct directory ie game still crashes and has the pre patch look to it. Need to know where to install patch ie what directory and were. Just comp lit enough to be a pain but really want to play this old game again. thanks.

railage

Post by railage » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:46 am

The way to tell if you patched the game correctly is to check for version number 1.1.0.0(61414) displayed in the lower right corner of the game's main menu screen. If you need it, the latest patch is available on the official 2k site.

If you search on pcgamingwiki site for this game, look for "Low Memory Crash." In that section there's a link to the most stable version I know of. But, before trying to use it you need to make sure the game has the latest patch.