How to install SAMs......

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Jancsika

Re: How to install SAMs......

Post by Jancsika » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:34 am

You are not doing anything wrong, only you missed the last step :P :P

You have to start a new stock game, and it will automatically create a
C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\UserMaps folder.
Actually if you don't have a C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads! folder it will create it with all the subfolders.

That's, when I want to have a clean directory I just delete and/or rename the old one and this way can start a clean setup.
Jancsika

Warll

Post by Warll » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:02 am

The usermaps folder should come with the custom map. For instance SAMs have all the folder hierarchy stored in the zip. As well there is nothing special about the usermaps folder, it is just a folder name. From the sounds of it you are trying to use a usermaps folder filled with stuff that causes the game to crash, for instance not all the needed data is there.

pumanator

Post by pumanator » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:34 am

Thanx...that worked.

Merry Christmas

Warll

Post by Warll » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:01 am

Good to hear.

Railking

Post by Railking » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:39 pm

Quick question here. My original SMR Disk has been MIA since I moved a few months ago. I contacted 2k and am still waiting on their response to a possible replacment disk. That said, I've gotten around not having the CD to play, but obviously the game is installed on my system. Now I'm to a point where I want to start trying to use some of these Custom Maps, and I've seen a couple different ideas. One being that a 2nd copy of the game should be installed. Is this absolutley necessary? Can I not just re-name the original program files folders, or do I need to make a copy of the entire SMR file structure.

Pardon my ignorance, I just don't want to get stuck in a spot where I would need to re-install the game if I can avoid it. Since I registered the game, I'm hoping 2k sends me a replacement sometime soon.
Thanks

Warll

Post by Warll » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:36 pm

I doubt 2K is going to send you a copy, they may but I doubt it.

Re-installation is really an unnecessary step, instead all you need to do is make sure the the my games/railroads folder has no other maps in it, this article should help with that.

Railking

Post by Railking » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:21 pm

Thanks Warll, greatly appreciated.