Pretty Routing Pictures

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
darthdroid

Pretty Routing Pictures

Post by darthdroid » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:29 am

I'd simply like people to put up some pictures of routing they are proud of...routing that worked and preferably complex.
Here are some pictures of a game I just played, the other player had just crashed, thus why it says "computer"...
Either way, this is also a good example of how one can route several trains (7 in this case) into one station on hard routing, with very little waiting (5% per train at most).

Please post YOUR routing pictures as I'd like to see what you too can do!!
Attachments
routing example.jpg
routing example.pdf
Note there are 7 routes into abbey, all routed with minimal waiting on hard routing.
(226.39 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
-Bob the Lunatic

Burlington_Northern_3140

Re: Pretty Routing Pictures

Post by Burlington_Northern_3140 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:04 am

Would this count :?:
Attachments
rail types and files.png
Thomas
THANK YOU FOR BRINGING US RULES FORUM MODERATORS!
Whoops! I need to stop that drooling over everyones mods. Where are the paper towels?

http://www.homescda.com/

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:07 am

Sure,

Here's 2 more from a game I just played on Fiery Axis
Attachments
7 routes all rolling smoothly
7 routes all rolling smoothly
6 routes all making buku bucks.
6 routes all making buku bucks.
-Bob the Lunatic

Burlington_Northern_3140

Post by Burlington_Northern_3140 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:29 am

This is some interesting track and routing.
Attachments
No track.png
Thomas
Whoops! I need to stop that drooling over everyones mods. Where are the paper towels?

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:53 am

Someone was just questioning me about "invisible trains" perhaps they should look you over with your trackless train.

And yes, it is quite interesting.
-Bob the Lunatic

Burlington_Northern_3140

Post by Burlington_Northern_3140 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:59 am

They probably have lag if they are using the internet and it can cause some interesting problems. Ihis is just track with an alfa channel. It can never reapear until I change the texture. I will probably use one of the textures in my previous post to replace it. an invisible train could be made the same way. I made one at one time to see more of the different faces and corners on it.
Thomas

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:19 am

Here's another one from the France map.

Note the year...I did this pretty quickly in a multi-player game.

8 trains routed with all having less than 5% waiting (hard routing of course).
Attachments
routing6.jpg
-Bob the Lunatic

Wolfwood
Site Admin

Post by Wolfwood » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:00 am

You call those "pretty"? :o Remind me never to hire you to design the Finnish rail network...

:lol:
“People aren’t wearing enough hats.” - Monty Python

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:14 am

If you saw the revenue they generated... you might understand the TRUE meaning of "pretty" bwa ha ha
-Bob the Lunatic

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:44 pm

You call those "pretty"? Remind me never to hire you to design the Finnish rail network
I have to agree with Wolfwood.
:wink: Money is not everything, but how you play the game. :wink:
:mrgreen: :wink:
There is an added beauty to the game to run a pleasing and still efficient rail system. That's the reason that when I make a new map the steel bridges are made very expensive. Thou I like the underground rail trick. Of course it will work agaist human opponent, but you won't be able to fool the AI.
Jancsika :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:14 am

First of all, beauty is subjective and I respect that all or most of the modders may be absitively horrified at my style of building.

However Jancsika, I must point out one thing:

On the underground rail trick as far as "tricking the AI" are you completely serious??? I get the impression that all the modders think the AI is actually challenging. Haven't I stressed enough that the AI is a complete and stark idiot????

The computer builds and strategizes like someone with 20 games under their belt, robber, investor, equally stupid.
I really doubt that 3 AIs on investor would take me on robber more than 15 minutes to methodically take down and there would be no fight, no contest. It's been over a year since I've seen a computer I actually was mildly concerned about or considered "aggressive", if you think the computer is aggressive, wait til you get a load of me.

Point being, the subway trick would never be necessary against the computer, being a human being is an advantage enough. And obviously one needs different strategies against a human being and for a (HYPOTHETICAL) talented AI.
nor are bridges necessary to do my routing. And I love all the "buts" involved here but clearly another thing is missed: I play within the parameters of the game, if you change the parameters, I will change accordingly and appropriately. On some games I have zero bridges.
But a game like Fiery Axis for example....It's completely ridiculous to imagine connections without bridges, they'd have grades of 40%....unlikely for a semi truck, much less a locomotive on slippery tracks!

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify these points as a result of the fallacious assumptions that were made about my pictures and statements. And ultimately I still think they are pretty.
I have no talent for map making, but as far as laying tracks go and how to beat human beings or AI morons... there are probably many things I know that those who merely play the AI do not.

Upon being beaten.... the wise man asks "how did you do that, can you teach me?" the foolish man says "That's stupid, you're a cheater, you got lucky".

I do hope some of the modders out of shear curiosity come and have an online game, preferably with some of the advanced players.... so you can see the BUSINESS SIMULATION side of the game. Again, and I cannot stress this enough. The main differences are due to motivations: You're trying to make realistic trains and routes. I'm trying to be the last company standing. The two are not mutually exclusive but in vocation, they have very little in common, make no mistakes about that.

What is the saying "where you stand depends on where you sit...". And personally, I never got the impression that the primary NATURE of the game was as a train table or simulation of reality. No, it is a business simulation. But there are room for civil engineers, wasteful politicians, and horrifyingly efficient pirates like myself :)

Cheers!
Last edited by darthdroid on Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Bob the Lunatic

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:19 am

Also,

I would mention: The nature of this thread was to post pictures YOU thought were pretty of YOUR routing. I don't mind comments on how ugly or stupid or unrealistic my tracks are. But if one is going to do that, I'd think they'd at least show me THEIR idea of pretty as a common courtesy :)
Just as BN did lol.

I hope you do.

P.S. Also, I think the quote goes like this:

"It's not if you win or lose, but how you play the game".

(But that's loser talk bwa ha ha)
-Bob the Lunatic

mikeyc

Post by mikeyc » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:59 am

Darthdroid, as you are self confessed wizz at track laying perhaps you could look over Jansika's new map and give me the lowdown on how to lay tracks properly in this map without using expensive bridges. When I try to avoid bridges I tend to get uneven track which maybe cheap but looks crook. I have to go back later when I have plenty of money and try to sort them out. However I would rather be able to get it right first time. Your observations would be appreciated.

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:49 pm

Give me a link to his new map?
Last edited by darthdroid on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Bob the Lunatic

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:17 am

darthdroid wrote:Give me a link to her new map?
I think you should say his(jancsika) new map not hers.
And you can find the map here
Last edited by vzbob on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.