SAM style maps discussion.....

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
karsten

Re: SAM style maps for downloading....

Post by karsten » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:11 pm

Jancsika wrote:Sorry, but I did not make it and I really don't remeber who made it, but it was somebody on this board. Jancsika :mrgreen:
Hmmm .... it was Bushdoctor! Hi Doc, lets talk, I don't want to hijack this thread, come over to the Australia discussion on Mods - Talk.
Dwax, Rags to Riches was never standalone, so I guess very few people were able to play it. I remember in February
Karsten wrote:A cleverly constructed, fun map, only needed a bit of bug fixing. :P It would be even more enjoyable as a SAM map, with less surplus resources crowding memory.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:28 pm

Rodea2007 wrote: the secret is don't copy all extracted from zip file into UserMaps, but only folder with xml and bitmap file and fpk file ex. utah map only copy utah folder and utah.FPK into usermaps folder not include Utah_SAM folder, try it
Lowell wrote:Dwax, After you unzip the map file you will have one file folder called Utah_SAM...if you place the Utah_SAM folder inside Usermaps and start the map it will crash.
Just out of curiosity, what are you two talking about? There is no "Utah_SAM" folder. There is a Utah_SAM.zip which contains a folder called Utah and a file called Utah.fpk, but no Utah_SAM folder....... Not trying to cause a hassle, just wondering......I had to check it out because I store the Zip, FPK and the folder in a folder I call Utah_SAM, and I had to be sure I didn't zip that and upload it....I stopped being perfect when I filled my first diaper.. :mrgreen:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

dwax

Post by dwax » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:04 pm

When I unzipped it to My documents unzipped it was in a folder named Utah_SAM open that and there was the Utah file.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:20 pm

Now that is odd, if you download it right now, it opens as a folder called "Utah" and a file called "Utah.fpk", no folder called "Utah_SAM". And it hasn't been edited because there would be a statement saying so. Where did you three get that from :?:

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:01 pm

Now that is odd, if you download it right now, it opens as a folder called "Utah" and a file called "Utah.fpk", no folder called "Utah_SAM".
That was what I was saying before...inside your rar file you have the map folder and the Fpk "inside" a folder called Utah_SAM. Placing that Utah_SAM folder into usermaps crashes the game...open it up and copy the utah map folder and the fpk to usermaps and it ran file. So yes, there is a Utah_SAM folder when you first unzip the rar file.

I am not sure if that was the problem...but that is what I found. Fpk inside a folder, for some reason the game doesn't like fpk's several folders deep in usermaps or something like that...hope this helps.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:22 pm

Where did you download that from? I have never used RAR files. If you go right now to the post for the map (not the upload from Dwax) and open the zip, there are only two files in it, Utah folder and Utah.fpk. As I stated, it has never been edited, so that is the original zip.

Dwax, the the upload you did of the non-working version of Utah does not have a Utah_SAM folder either.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:24 pm

...dude...I downloaded it from your Utah sam link for your posted map file. I then always use Win rar to unzip everything as it opens all compressed files. After I unziped your download file and unzipped it, there was a single file folder called Utah_SAM. Inside that folder is the Utah map folder and the fpk for the map.

Better download it yourself and see.

dwax

Post by dwax » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:58 am

Snoopy, will Sid's Place run without an FPK file? And is there suppose to be an RRT_Trains and RRT_Traincars?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:20 am

Choo-Choo set it up to run using the US East map files, so it will run...I should say, "It does run" as every map is fully tested by at least one of three testers before it is posted and is not posted until it gets thru a full test. I have had to do repairs on several maps so far.

pumanator

Post by pumanator » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:41 am

I would like to say thank you for all the work you folks have put into this. I had the globals installed but had to delete and start over. The old system of loading is no longer available.

I have read the 1st post in this thread several times and because I have little experience in this area of messing with folders, I could not be more confused. Is it possible to make it a little clearer to those of us who are not comp genius'.

Thanx. I hope this might help those like myself who are less talented. :D

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:05 am

No problem, but it would be a bit easier if you just let me know which parts of the first post you don't understand.

You can uninstall the full game, reinstall it, add the upgrades and start the game. Then set up the game the way you want it to run, trees, clouds, ..... Download the SAM you want. When you unzip it, put the files into UserMaps. That's about the simplest. When you want to play a different SAM, download the one you want to play, delete the files in UserMaps, and unzip the new one into UserMaps.

You can download all the SAMs into a folder on your computer and when you want to play one you can unzip one from there.

coopej01

Post by coopej01 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:28 pm

I'd like to echo the thanks that others have expressed for those you you who have done so much work for the rest of us. The SAMs really appear to have made CTDs much less common and added to the game.

BTW, is there an error in the map "Valencia"? Victory requires hauling beer, but I can find any in the game.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:48 pm

coopej01 - thanks for your assistance in that. The original map had a few errors, and there are three downloads for it on the thread for it. I guess I had forgot and used the first one. The Beer had been brought up in the thread and, wouldn't you know it, I'm the one who did the repair for it after Slappy pointed it out :roll: .

When I do these SAMs, I run thru the cities and mark my sheet for what is needed in the cities. I then go thru the Goods XML and note which finished Goods do not belong there. If they are not needed and are listed, they show up in the Goods list, and nothing shows on the map when you click on them. From there I go to the Industries XML and check which Goods are needed and produced. Then I move on to the TrainCars XML, removing any cars that are not needed. I slip back to the Goods XML and edit that if needed. I add the Tenders and pack the needed files into the FPK.

vzbob, Tijer and I may miss things now and then :roll: , and I'm thankful for people like you to point them out for repair :mrgreen: . I kind of figure that anyone downloading and running these are the real testers, and hope they will post these things :) . Some people, like me, seldom pay attention to the Victory screen, if at all :roll: .

You keep playing the SAMs, and keep up the great work of reporting any problems :wink:

Valencia has been repaired and reposted.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:03 am

Rags to Riches has set a new precident in that it is the first full SAM to be done by someone other than Tijer and I :mrgreen:

Great work Jancsika! :D

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:48 am

snoopy55 wrote:Rags to Riches has set a new precident in that it is the first full SAM to be done by someone other than Tijer and I :mrgreen:

Great work Jancsika! :D
I notice the Icon for taconite ore is mssing in the industries tab in game. when you make the Smelter its a purple square and the Pellatizer needs to be changed for the right Icon and not use the gold ore to gold bar icon.. I kept thinking where is the gold mine untill i worked it out hahaha...