On mods and good forum citizenship - part 2

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
Wolfwood
Site Admin

Re: On mods and good forum citizenship - part 2

Post by Wolfwood » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:23 am

Now, in the vein of my previous post, I'd like to see acknowledgement from the central players that they are willing to try to heal the rift on these forums by at least trying to ignore the past events.

In case you are not willing to follow the above sentiments, I'd like to hear your reasons for that decision as well.

No more posts in defence or against either side in the argument, please.
“People aren’t wearing enough hats.” - Monty Python

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:28 am

I need to ask to you as site adm for this website where my posted "STOP---DEBATE" and "where my Posted" that are posted on july, 04 and today, because at now I don't see that posted, who's deleted and why dissapear form this forum...please explain .... :evil:
Thank's
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Wolfwood
Site Admin

Post by Wolfwood » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:49 am

Rodea2007 wrote:I need to ask to you as site adm for this website where my posted "STOP---DEBATE" and "where my Posted" that are posted on july, 04 and today, because at now I don't see that posted, who's deleted and why dissapear form this forum...please explain .... :evil:
Thank's
Unfortunately, if one of the mods or an admin has removed posts or threads, they don't get recorded anywhere, so I cannot confirm what has happened to your posts/threads. If they have been deleted, I'm sure the mod/admin who did it will let you know why! :)
“People aren’t wearing enough hats.” - Monty Python

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:00 am

Wolfwood wrote: Unfortunately, if one of the mods or an admin has removed posts or threads, they don't get recorded anywhere, so I cannot confirm what has happened to your posts/threads. If they have been deleted, I'm sure the mod/admin who did it will let you know why! :)
Thanks for your quick replay. Just I want to know who's deleted my posts, If the Mods or who's reponsible for this site can't tell me about it, That is can make this forum has loss secure and make me dissapointed and angry.... :evil:

Thanks
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:43 pm

Wolfwood:
In this case, I'd advice all the central players to apply a little self-censorship to their posts in the future. Whatever your feelings of past event, please try to put them behind you.

And, please, remember that we are all here to have fun. Mistakes will happen, people's personalities and egos will clash, but we all share a common goal: to enjoy Railroads! and the mods that we produce.
Well said and I agree 100%
Jancsika :mrgreen:

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:05 pm

Rodea2007 wrote:I need to ask to you as site adm for this website where my posted "STOP---DEBATE" and "where my Posted" that are posted on july, 04 and today, because at now I don't see that posted, who's deleted and why dissapear form this forum...please explain .... :evil:
Thank's
Rodea: I removed it. While the general motivation behind it was commendable and appreciated, it wasn't constructive and I wanted to concentrate the discussion in this thread.

There are a lot of people visiting this forum that don't want to get involved or read anything about the conflict. Shouting at them and/or bombarding them with threads is only going to agitate them further.

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:26 am

Falconer wrote: Rodea: I removed it. While the general motivation behind it was commendable and appreciated, it wasn't constructive and I wanted to concentrate the discussion in this thread.
Alright guy's ...thank you for your answer lately.
I disappointed because you did't told to me before and after my posted deleted by you. You gave me answer after I PM you about that. Should be you have to tell to me what will you do...... :evil: . I'm neutral in here man and just to talk to stop the debate between Snoopy Block and Lowell block don't you.
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:03 am

Wolfwood I agree with all your statements.

My maps have custom stuff that I made and placed in there and I also have had help from other map makers who helped me get some of my new items like an oil tanker and a couple industry buildings. So I never used anyone else's stuff without giving them public thanks and credits in the map thread.

There were issues with the xml scripting of the map files and game content. Two different groups were experimenting on making a self contained map and game content format. At first when they talked about their project they said they had to make a "program" that would load, unload and run the game. This "program" as to people I know at 2K games, would not be allowed. However we are allowed to make our game mods anyway we wish within the confines of the game as it was presented to the public. They took my no answer to this "program" as a no to their whole idea and twisted the argument, saying I was against their map making idea as well. I made many posts trying to explain the difference between the two.

I had new maps to publish. I was told I was not allowed to publish my maps at this forum if they were this new CIC style map format. I knew we were working on similar designs of the files for the game, I figured I could post my work anyway if I wanted to...so I did. Then they were mad because I didn't give them credit for the CIC style map format. But they didn't have any input on what we designed...and regardless what they say, myself or the others had never seen a sam map during the time we were working and testing this new map file system. I worked on this file system from Jan. to April...and crashed it a zillion times till I figured it out, as others can tell you as I had a whole crew beta testing this new Florida Gold 400 scenario. To our amazement, we found that it stabilized the game and this super sized map size 20x20 ran crash free and full speed. No map had done that yet. So it works...and is still being tested and gone over right now by others just to make sure my findings were correct and built everything correct.

Sams are made quite different, as they use FPKs...CICs cannot. Sams can have many files to run a single scenario...CICs have only one file folder and everything that map needs to run must go inside that one file folder. They also must be beta tested by others to verify they save a game correctly, run without missing any content, run crash free the whole way through the scenario. Big differences if you are just a player of the game and no nothing about the game files...the CIC style map is a super breeze to load and play.

They also might be mad at me because when they were making the SMRI project, I posted that several of the maps they placed in that map set crashed out and that the map makers hadn't fixed them, so we needed to beta test the SMRI project before it is published as it may do more harm than good if people load it and half of the maps crash out. Well they wanted to meet the games birth date of the 18th and they said they weren't going to test it...I declined to have my maps added to it because of that. Now today people everywhere are saying they had to reinstall their game and uninstall smri as it trashed their gaming experience.

Of all the games and game mods I build...endless really...mod builders always beta test their product before posting it. Many times in this gaming field, you get one shot...if you blow it, people won't come around anymore...there are just too many games out there that play without a ton of hassle.

Test test test and listen to others (beta testers) is what I say.

Ask anyone if I haven't only said things that were correct or helpful at the time. And...at not a single post on any thread have I ever told anyone 'not to load and play a sam map' as I have been accused of. So many things have gone into this.

I think everyone has worked out that changes needed to be made to the old method of the RailRoads! game files...they were good for their time, but as more new stuff gets made as time goes on...self contained mods are needed for this game to function correctly. I have never asked for any kind of praise or credit for any of my work...even the cotton industry that I fixed for for someone who had placed it on several maps and for some time did not know it was crashing out those maps. Oh...and after I fixed it for that person he came back and complained to me about it. :?: So I feel as though I have been dealt a bad hand for sure and have only been trying to help make this a great game for others to play.

I'm not perfect and am learning new stuff everyday as the true meaning of an artist you never stop learning. I do appoligise to anyone who was confused and reading any of this during this troubled time. I only want to post my work and anything I had said at anytime was only ment to help.