SAM style maps discussion.....

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
snoopy55

SAM style maps discussion.....

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:43 pm

Over the next several days, or less, I will be uploading 11 SAMs (Stand Alone Maps), plus any others we get them tested. We will be adding to these as we get them edited and tested. These maps are in zips.

NOTICE!Because of size, most SAMs will be compressed in a 7z format. The needed program is free and available at:

http://www.7-zip.org/

The reason I'm using to this is that it has a higher compression ratio and thus smaller uploads I will put a notice at any SAM uploaded in this format.

The following is the instructions for their use.

1) Go into C:\Documents and Settings\(your computers name)\My Documents\My Games and rename the Sid Meier's Railroads! folder you presently have, adding an ending to it, whatever you want.

2) Start the game. When it gets to the main menu, exit.

3) Go into the Sid Meier's Railroads! folder you renamed and copy the 'Settings.ini' file into the newly created Sid Meier's Railroads! folder. You now have the basis for all future SAM and CIC maps.

4) Open the Sid Meier's Railroads! folder, then open the UserMaps folder.

5) Open the Zip file of the map you wish to play and extract the map folder and any FPK files, if present, to the UserMaps folder.

6) Close all folders and play the map.

To play a different map:

1) Open the Sid Meier's Railroads! folder, then open the UserMaps folder.

2) Delete any folders and files contained there.

3) Open the Zip file of the map you wish to play and extract the map folder and any FPK files, if present, to the UserMaps folder.

4) Close all folders and play the map.

Now, some of you may feel that the FPK folders have to be in CustomAssets. That's fine with us, do it as you wish. You need to remember to delete those FPKs from there when you change maps. For the most part, leaving them there should not create a problem, but then we have no intention of sticking every FPK file into CustomAssets and testing it. Do it as per the above instructions and you should have no problems. If you chose to play a CIC style map, follow the instructions given with those.

Keep the Zip files where ever you like. Tijer suggested they be kept in the UserMaps, which will work as the game cannot read Zip files. They could also be burned to a CD or DVD which makes it handy for storage. Each to his own.

We hope you enjoy playing these maps.
Last edited by snoopy55 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

dwax

Re: SAM style maps for downloading....

Post by dwax » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:32 am

I tried the Utah map and it CTD. Tried several times with a fresh start up with no luck,re booted the PC to get fresh memory and it still crashed. Any ideas?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:56 am

This was one map I could never play out because I would start getting water covering the land. My Beta Tester, Tijer, played it for over 4 hours, being sure every industry went to full size and playing it out without a CTD. I just installed what I uploaded and got the map to come up fine.

At what point did it crash, and I'm sorry, but I have to ask this, did you load it as specified above?

To any others with problems, please be specific as to what the problem was. If I don't know, I can't help you. This is the same thing all the past maps have needed.

And Dwax, thanks for trying them.

dwax

Post by dwax » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:04 am

I deleted all files in My Documents, started the game,closed it down I put Utah in UserMaps and started a new game. At load up when it was building up stream it crashed.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:17 am

I take it you put the FPK in UserMaps also?

dwax

Post by dwax » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:25 am

snoopy55 wrote:I take it you put the FPK in UserMaps also?
I put everything that was in the zip in it.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:39 am

It must have something to do with your computer then. Tijer just downloaded the Zip from the forum, loaded it and fired it up. No problem. Let's see if anyone else has a problem with it. Even in it's original state, some people had problems with it.

See what results you get from the others.

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:19 am

snoopy55 wrote:It must have something to do with your computer then. Tijer just downloaded the Zip from the forum, loaded it and fired it up. No problem. Let's see if anyone else has a problem with it. Even in it's original state, some people had problems with it.

See what results you get from the others.
No....Snoppy Dwax is right....I just tried this map, Rename SMR folder dan making new SMR folder copy all zips from this map to UserMap Folder then play .....CTD.... :lol: after that I moved FPK files into CustomAssets folder...What happen this game can run fine... :lol:
As I said before you can't put FPK inside Usermaps folder, except that's fpk unpacked and can be put inside UserMaps folder.
Dwax...move FPK into CustomAssets then you can play this map without CTD...Notice the picture below
Attachments
ChicagoandRockyMap.jpg
Custom_Asset with FPK.jpg
Last edited by Rodea2007 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:39 am

OK, I will concede that "Some" people may have to move the FPKs to CustomAssets, BUT not ALL people have to. I don't. Tijer don't, and several others didn't. All the testing I've done for not only SAMs but all of the Building Blocks I posted and many more that i have not, worked just fine in UserMaps.

Thank you for pointing this out to him and others, but " you can't put FPK inside Usermaps folder " is a poor choice of words as not all systems are the same, and not all versions of Windows work the same. For something to have worked for 7 months for several of us means it can work. Just maybe not in every system.

I'll edit the first post. Thanks to both of you.

Rodea2007

SAM style maps discussion....

Post by Rodea2007 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:45 am

I was succes to play Snoopy SAMMaps but not as SAM Maps.
Move all FPK into CustomAsset Folder...copy RRT_Goods.xml from InstallDir to CustomAssets\XML folder then add new goods from those maps to RRT_Goods.xml, then delete or rename RRT_Goods.xml in UserMap scenarios and the last edit RRT_Scenario.XML if you rename RRT_Goods.xml to RRT_Goods_yourmap.xml. those maps run fine... :P
Looks at pictures below
Attachments
customassetsfolder.jpg
RRT_Goods.jpg
utah.jpg
Australia.jpg
Dogworld.jpg
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:42 pm

Rodea2007 wrote:I was succes to play Snoopy SAMMaps but not as SAM Maps.
Move all FPK into CustomAsset Folder...copy RRT_Goods.xml from InstallDir to CustomAssets\XML folder then add new goods from those maps to RRT_Goods.xml, then delete or rename RRT_Goods.xml in UserMap scenarios and the last edit RRT_Scenario.XML if you rename RRT_Goods.xml to RRT_Goods_yourmap.xml. those maps run fine... :P
Looks at pictures below
Well, I guess you win. I am not going to go on with this if someone is going to post that there is only one way to use these and it is not the way they have been used for the last 7 months.

See the first post.

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:22 pm

Well, I guess you win. I am not going to go on with this if someone is going to post that there is only one way to use these and it is not the way they have been used for the last 7 months.

See the first post.
Don't let them get to you they work fine for me so i guess its all different for different systems.
If they don't work with the fpks in user maps and some other map didn't for me they can all ways move them to custom assets folder themselves. I do when i find they work that way. Keep up the good work and if they are to lazy to experiment like I do. Well as some say its not the way to be done but untill you do try you dont know what will and wont work for you. But I try it in all ways to see what works on my system and then play the game..
and if it dont run i just delete it and move onto the next one..

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:02 pm

I thank you for your opinion, but this is part of what has caused a lot of problems lately. I stated just what you did as you can see, and I was ignored. For all I care, open the FPK, put it into a folder, and put it in with the map. I have those folders and could post them also, but the trouble just may not be worth the effort. This is 5 of 89 maps and I'm now all alone on this, and I cannot keep running on pills. If others want to work on these I'll explain how it is done, but if they don't get it right the first time, even that may cause problems with other members of the forum.

Again, thanks

Wolfwood
Site Admin

Post by Wolfwood » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:05 pm

Please, everyone, read this thread (I especially refer to my latest messages there):

http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... =31&t=2696

We are trying to heal the situation on these forums and it can only be achieved if we start respecting each other's work.
“People aren’t wearing enough hats.” - Monty Python

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:06 pm

Its certainly good to see those two classics "Chicago to the Rockies" and "Dogworld" made available as stable standalone SAMs for newer players to enjoy. Great achievement, Snoopy!