Need a little map installation assistance

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
slider38

Need a little map installation assistance

Post by slider38 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:49 am

Hi Folks, I'm new to Railroads and wanted to try to install one of the mod maps. I thought I'd just have to download the installer and it would take care of things, but I guess it isn't that simple. I downloaded the installer for a map called Africa Diamonds and saved it. When I opened the file and double-clicked it, nothing happened. I assumed my computer would go out and download and install the map. The installer is a file type efw, which I'm unfamiliar with, as is my computer. Any instruction on what's necessary to install a custom map would be appreciated. Thanks, Slider

Rodea2007

Re: Need a little map installation assistance

Post by Rodea2007 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:53 am

slider38 wrote:Hi Folks, I'm new to Railroads and wanted to try to install one of the mod maps. I thought I'd just have to download the installer and it would take care of things, but I guess it isn't that simple. I downloaded the installer for a map called Africa Diamonds and saved it. When I opened the file and double-clicked it, nothing happened. I assumed my computer would go out and download and install the map. The installer is a file type efw, which I'm unfamiliar with, as is my computer. Any instruction on what's necessary to install a custom map would be appreciated. Thanks, Slider
Usuaally file type of installer is exe and not efw may be something wrong. you can add manually. copy folder Africa Diamond with contained *.xml , *.tga and *.dds to My Document\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\UserMaps. after that you can play it

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:15 am

If you have SMRI installed you'll already have that map. http://www.moddb.com/mods/10072/sid-mei ... ontinental

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:20 am

The file you have to download is on the second page of that thread and is called "Setup_Africa_Diamonds_1.0.zip"
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

mikeyc

Post by mikeyc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:37 am

.efw file seems to be related to your firewall. i have the same problem so i have to disable the firewall before i download.

slider38

Thanks folks

Post by slider38 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:10 pm

I appreciate the replies guys. Mikeyc, I suspect you hit the nail on the head. I'll bet this is firewall related. I have run into this once before, but the site I was trying to get something from never suggested that it might be security related, so I never did figure out where that file type was coming from. Thanks a bunch.

I hope to try this in multiplayer some day. Right now I don't see how it's possible. I'm lucky to get 15 to 20 minutes of play in before the next screen freeze, crash, ... I don't know how others manage. I like the game, but who ever did the testing for 2k or firaxis should be taken out to the woodshed. I can't help feeling like I'm playing a beta version. I do a bit of C programming just for the fun of it, and some of this stuff sure feels like a memory leak. I don't know anything about xml or how difficult it is to work with, but I hope they get some kind of fix out for this soon.

Anyway, thanks very much for the assistance. Slider :D

Bushdoctor

Post by Bushdoctor » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:47 pm

Hello Slider, welcome to the forum.

We are currently working on the setup of a project where we test all released maps
for problems. During the preparations I found that the scenario Africa Diamonds
indeed has a problem. I suspect it's the iron mill that crashes when upgrading
from small to medium. Perhaps this makes sense to you if you started using
that industry early in your game.

This info will be placed in the upcoming project topic, but since you got problems
with the map right now, I thought I'd let you know before we get that ball rolling.

I suggest you start with another map. ;)
Good luck and have fun.
Doc.