I would like these engines.
81%
I don't know if I want these engines.
13%

Total votes: 16

Burlington_Northern_3140

Converting engines from Train sim

Post by Burlington_Northern_3140 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:32 am

I come from Train-Sim and there are some awsome models that I might be able to convert for use in Railroads if there is interest. Engines shapes are made with 3D canvas or Train sim modeler and are stored as S (Shape) and SD (Shape Definition) files. Paint and textures are stored as ACE files which I can convert to bitmaps if you need. and All of the information on how the engine runs is in a note pad document called the ENG. I have a picture of two engines that I would be able convert for you if there is interest and permision from the creator. If anyone could help with some directions on how I might convert an engine please tell me. Thanks!
Attachments
dash9_2.jpg
dash9_2.jpg (7.54 KiB) Viewed 6716 times
CNSD60F.jpg
CNSD60F.jpg (5.68 KiB) Viewed 6714 times

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:45 am

Can you get the engines into a 3d editor like Blender or 3D Max?

Burlington_Northern_3140

Post by Burlington_Northern_3140 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:27 am

I don't know and the extension s is not allowed apparently so I can't give you the files. go to Mapleleaftracks.com then click news and go to the downloads. They have the CN and BNSF engine so you can look at its files and experiment with them. I hope.

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:14 am

Maple Leaf Tracks Inc. is a Canadian company dedicated to making detailed expansion software for the Microsoft® Train Simulator franchise. All of our products are extensively researched and carefully developed to provide you with the most realistic experience possible.
Yeah their not going to want us using their engines. To elaborate on what I said before, if they can't be easily imported into a 3d editor they are of no use in SMR.
Last edited by Warll on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:15 am

I can't rattle off engine types and the differences, but here is a site that may show how close the ones we have are to the ones you want. Or maybe not, but it is of interest anyway...

http://www.trainweb.org/willstrainart/Art_Index.htm
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:18 pm

I also have that game and a couple others. Those are more like the photoshop 2D graphics like MSTS uses. There are some good things in them but there is no way to make a 3D wireframe from what they have...I've been trying with no luck so far. Some things can be used like the TGA's for skins, they will need re sized to fit the scale of railroads trains...that's a pain.

There may still be a way, but it would take a couple months of work. The wireframe plans will need allot of editing after it is made in an editor. The wheels will need chopped off, then the height and position of the games wheel sets will have to be set so they line up. So the 2D wireframe plans for the site that Snoopy has posted is your best bet of building a 3D wireframe model because it has the side and end views although you would need a top view as well that is missing. To scale the model right I would need a top-bottom-sides-front and end views.

Those train engines are everywhere, and this games file system is totally different from what Train Sim has, so you wouldn't be using any of "their type" files in RailRoads...the worst part you can do is use their artwork tga's and stuff to make your stuff needed...they would never know...and seeing as these are free mod projects for this forum and not a commercial venture...you can get away with using the real railroad's colors and logos without paying any of those Royalty fees...although I altered my Southern Engines slightly on my Florida Gold map for that reason.