Victory conditions

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
Jancsika

Victory conditions

Post by Jancsika » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:27 am

Many of the scenario maps do not have Victory conditions. So I have decided to add some. I can change the starting date and the ending date without any trouble.
But when I added an other condition, instead of the startup map I got a message: “NO EVENT CONDITIONSâ€

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:32 pm

What XML editor are you using?

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:43 pm

XLM Notepad from Microsoft, Notepad++ and just plain Editpad text editor.
I have noticed that the XLM editor is putting a line at the start of the page, that's when I started to use Editpad, but it makes no difference.
Jancsika

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:42 pm

Jancsika - If you want to, zip the map you're working on, along with the patents and I'll look it all over for you. I won't change anything, but I'll do notes.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:36 am

Thanks Snoopy55.
There is readme file in the package. I hope it will explain everything.
Attachments
Australia.zip
(636.13 KiB) Downloaded 805 times

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:09 pm

I did some testing this morning and the problem seems to be with changing the file size.
I have loaded an "RRT_Cities_???.XML file and without editing "Saved As RRT_Cities_???.XML
The game crashed at loading. After checking the size of the file, I found the size changes from the original 8.83 KB to 11.7 KB. I emphesize again that there was no editing done by me.
Did the same procedure with a regules text editor there was no change in file size and no crash.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:43 am

I'm looking into it. I just copied your change into the Green Energy scenerio, changing the 'TAG_CITY_NAME_HALLS_CREEK' to 'ANY_CITY' and it worked. As to file size, we've been changing files since this game came out and it's worked. I'm still researching it. :twisted:

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:24 pm

Jancsika, if the file is changing size when just doing a save then the editor you are using is adding something to the file and whatever that is SMR doesn't like it.

I use Notepad++ with the XML plug-in and do a XML Pretty Print (which also includes a syntax check) before Saving.

DF
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R mobo - Core i7 920
G.SKILL 3x1GB PC3 10666
MSI 8800GT Graphics Card
WD 150GB Raptor System Drive
WinXP Pro SP2 (LANfest Old Gamer Prize)

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:09 pm

Tanks Dr Frag. I will do just that.
Jancsika

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:43 pm

Long ago in the by-gone early days of editing this game (long about December/January) there was something about using the wrong editer added extra lines and something to each line that could only be seen with certain other edoters. It tended to play h :wink: :wink: l with the game. If you stick with Notepad++, you'll have no problems, and if you add the XML Tools to it, it allows you to quickly put in the indents which make it easier to read.
Your problem probally is some code put in there that is unwanted. No matter what I did to your copy I could not get a map to come up. When I took the original and wrote what you wanted into it, it worked fine.

Go into Wiki and list the 8 conditions, then take the basic Australia map, and go into the French and German maps and copy the different conditions to the Australian Scenario. Keep it handy with your map making data and you can copy a condition to a new map and edit it any time. :twisted:

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:36 am

Sorry, I still have problems with the XLM editors. I started to use Notepad++ with the XLM Tools Plugin. When I check the syntax it is OK. So I am using it. But the game does not read the file.
So I go back to my XLMNotepad 2007 (That’s a free editor from Microsoft) and there is the following error message. “Unexpected end of file has occurred. The following elements are not closed: Industries, RRTIndustries. Line 360, position 17.

Because XLMNotepad 2007 has the bad habit to add some other code to the file that Railroads! does not like, I do not make the correction, but go back to Notepad++, make the correction and everything is working, the game will load.

By the way Notepad++ does not catch loose scraps of code like:
“>â€
Attachments
ERROR_LINR360_POS23_RRT_Industries_Template121.zip
This is file with the error
(1.74 KiB) Downloaded 751 times

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:16 am

You're right, I delete the final ">" and the XML Tools plugin did not catch it. I'll see if I can notify the author of the plugin. Technically this is not a Notepad++ error but rather a plugin issue.

K-class

Post by K-class » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:03 am

Hello Jancsika

Have you tried XML Marker

http://symbolclick.com/

No plugins for xml checking but is smarter with the right window pane (Tree Selection Browser) plus indent.

Its how I check code quicker as it lays it out and you can sort say the goods cars in order showing duplicate.

Between this and Notepad++ I use XML marker more often.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:56 pm

Jancsika...did you ever find out what your trouble was with your XML files? I read through all you guys threads and it seems that you should have no isues with Notepad++. I always read through my action lists in xml files all the time anyway...Dr Frag is correct about the plugin not seeing the error ">" it should have made you complete the action even if empty... "<>"

Below is a snippet from my Florida Scenario...that map has 38 conditions spanning over two Eras. Almost done with the several models added for the map. Two map sizes...20 X 20 and 17 X 17 so far...and it's not an "easy" scenario to complete. :twisted: Everything about this map will be different from any others as far as play style...the game time is set at <iTurnsPerMonth>512</iTurnsPerMonth> "I know your eyes dropped out when you saw the timmer...but it plays fantastic...and just the right speed...about one year per hour." It may sound wierd but it needs that to play right.

...Condition #17...Era 2

<Condition>
<szType>ShipGoods</szType>
<bRequired>1</bRequired>
<GoodsList>
<GoodsListItem>
<szGood>Orange_Juice</szGood>
<iCarloads>200</iCarloads>
<szCityFrom>TAG_CITY_NAME_LAKE_CITY</szCityFrom>
<szCityTo>TAG_CITY_NAME_MIAMI</szCityTo>
</GoodsListItem>
<GoodsListItem>
<szCityTo>TAG_CITY_NAME_TITUSVILLE</szCityTo>
</GoodsListItem>
<GoodsListItem>
<szCityTo>TAG_CITY_NAME_KEY_WEST</szCityTo>
</GoodsListItem>
<GoodsListItem>
<szCityTo>TAG_CITY_NAME_PENSACOLA</szCityTo>
</GoodsListItem>
<GoodsListItem>
<szCityTo>TAG_CITY_NAME_TALLAHASSEE</szCityTo>
</GoodsListItem>
<GoodsListItem>
<szCityTo>TAG_CITY_NAME_JACKSONVILLE</szCityTo>
</GoodsListItem>
<GoodsListItem>
<szCityTo>TAG_CITY_NAME_FORT_MYERS</szCityTo>
</GoodsListItem>
</GoodsList>
<szDescription>Build an Orange Juice supply line through Lake City</szDescription>
<szNewspaperTitleSuccess>MIAMI TIMES</szNewspaperTitleSuccess>
<szNewspaperHeadlineSuccess>Southern Railway builds up Orange Industry!</szNewspaperHeadlineSuccess>
<szNewspaperTextSuccess>Southern Railway has aided in the Orange Juice industry boom.</szNewspaperTextSuccess>
<szNewspaperBitmapSuccess>event_connectcity.dds</szNewspaperBitmapSuccess>
</Condition>

In this condition...several locations must recieve their goods from the Lake City Distribution Center.
I need to make several Newspaper event photos for the front pages that pop up when complete.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:26 pm

Thanks Lowell and Dr Frag. I really never found out what the trouble was.
Using Notepad++ I recopied all the content of the files into a new setup, without copying the starting and ending commands and that took care of the trouble.
For example:
<RRTGoods>
Here came the old file content
</RRTGoods>

..and it worked fine, but don’t ask me why.
I am going to tackle Florida next. :wink:
Jancsika