Scenario Manager 1.1 Release

It's not a map? It's not a Train? Share and download the files here
akmad

Scenario Manager 1.1 Release

Post by akmad » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:31 pm

Hi all,

I just finished the 1.1 release of my scenario manager which includes the following fixes:
  • -Works with Windows locales other than EN.
    -Creates the proper annexes in the scenario depots file based on the goods in the scenario.
    -Creates the proper train cars in the scenario train cars file, once again based on the goods in the scenario.
    -Scenarios and associated files now get loaded the first time they are selected. Note, this may seem slower than the 1.0 version (and I may be) but a ton of searches have to occur in the file system to locate each file that a scenario references; this helps spread that cost out.
If you have existing scenarios that have been created in your CustomAssets folder these must be recreated to get the proper depots and traincars files.

If you have a local copy of the scenario make a small change to it and save it (you can then undo the change). Once saved recreate the scenario and replace the old one.

If you don't have a local copy of a scenario then edit the scenario and rename the resulting scenario to match the original's name. Save it and then recreate the scenario replacing the old one.

Wow... that sounds extremely confusing. If you have any questions please post them and I try to explain a little better.

The new version is attached to this post or can be downloaded from here
Attachments
Railroads_Scenario_Manager_1.1.zip
Scenario Manager 1.1
(158.5 KiB) Downloaded 1374 times

MrScott2007

Post by MrScott2007 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:49 pm

I've downloaded 1.1 and I still have the same problem.
How do you add an industry to a map?

I tried adding milk to the NE map:
1. I adjusted so the bigger citied would demand milk. (this works)
2. I added milk to the goods list.
3. I set the input and output in the industry list.
4. Hit create button.

In the game, the milk is demanded but there are no dairy farms. What am I missing?

Lama

Post by Lama » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:09 pm

It sounds like you did not add "Milk Farm" to the list of allowed industries.

MrScott2007

Post by MrScott2007 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:22 pm

No I didn't miss that...I added "Dairy Farm" to the industry list. Still a no go.

akmad

Post by akmad » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:12 pm

The issue is that you haven't added the Fromagerie industry to the map. If you add this industry to the map then you should see dairy farms scattered around.

Now you may say "This is the good-ole US 'n A... there ain't no Fromagerie's here?!! And if there were we'd call them something like a Cheese Factory!" I'd totally agree with you if you did, however that seems to be the way the game works. You have to add what I call the 2nd level industry to get the 1st level industry to show up.

That means that if you want to have Dairy Farms you'll have to add Fromagerie's and if you want to have Fisheries you'll have to add Canneries, etc. As far as I can tell there is no way around this.

If anyone from Firaxis show me a way around this (or simply point out that I'm wrong) I'll get a fix out asap.

Wes

MrScott2007

Post by MrScott2007 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:19 pm

Thank you! I understand now...Boy that was a real brain buster trying to figure this out. I was about to give up! :shock:

MrScott2007

Post by MrScott2007 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:42 pm

I did manage to get the farms up and running.
Next I added Textiles and Sheep farms and I got an error message saying that I didn't add the nitraites to the map. I added it and the game crashed.

I also went in another direction by taking out all industries, leaving just passangers and mail. I had the same result...game crash!

I must say this game is very fickle!

Lama

Post by Lama » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:39 am

akmad wrote:You have to add what I call the 2nd level industry to get the 1st level industry to show up.
I'm not sure that's true as such. I am working on an alternate Germany map, where I have refineries converting coal to nitrates (stands in for coke), and power plants no longer demanding coal, but instead nitrates (representing gas works).
Granted, the issue is different here, b/c I am adding nitrates to the goods array via the refinery; and there is, in fact, a 2dry industry demanding nitrates, just not the one that usually does.
But this setup works perfectly fine under version 1.1, whereas it used to crash all the time up to 1.0.
Go figure! :roll:

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:54 pm

akmad - I played with the Midwest scenario and added my home city, Centralia. I created a hospital to use as a yard and tried to set 'Define Locations', but no-go! I hit the plus but nothing happens. I tweeked the X and Y a bit, changed the rotation and changed the size. Even tried different cities. I just tried 'Newspaper' also.

Am I doing something wrong?

Otherwise it worked fine!

akmad

Post by akmad » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:30 pm

Lama wrote:I'm not sure that's true as such.
Neither am I :wink:... but it's the only explanation I can think of given the behavior I see in the game. I'm hoping someone from Firaxis will explain how it really works.
snoopy55 wrote:Am I doing something wrong?
No you're not, I am. I somehow managed to switch the add and remove button code so you'll notice that if you click the (-) button it'll add the location to list and if you click the (+) you'll remove the selected location. Note that I've heard that if you set a specific location for any industry you'll have to set locations for ALL your industries. That may end up being more of a pain than it's worth.

I'm hesitant to release a new version for such a small, albeit annoying, issue so I think I'll hold off until I have more issues.

Wes

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:05 am

O.K., nag, nag, nag. :twisted: Two problems:

Under 'In Progress' I clicked on a scenario called 'Edit to Northwest U.S.'. The 'Errors' tab comes up giving the error having to do with not being able to find wine in the scenario. While this is helpful, it won't let me into the other tabs to fix it!

Also, the scenario I mentioned above with my home city in it..... I went to show it to my brother and lo and behold, the city was named 'Un-named City'!! I loaded it back into the manager (which he thinks is great also!) and when I tried to put it back, it wouldn't let me. I looked for it in the lower list and it wasn't there (in the c's). I tried to create it, but it wouldn't let me. I tried it in a different map, but no-go. So I figured maybe it put the new cities at the bottom of the list. Well, just below the T's I see 'Un-named City'! The 'TAG' was still correct, but the name had changed. I couldn't begin to figure where how that happened.

Put those in that 'Things to do' pile in the closet! :wink:

akmad

Post by akmad » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:32 pm

snoopy55 wrote:Under 'In Progress' I clicked on a scenario called 'Edit to Northwest U.S.'. The 'Errors' tab comes up giving the error having to do with not being able to find wine in the scenario. While this is helpful, it won't let me into the other tabs to fix it!
This is a known issue where if you add an industry with a good that's not included you will not be able to edit the scenario once saved. This will be fixed in v1.2
snoopy55 wrote: Also, the scenario I mentioned above with my home city in it..... I went to show it to my brother and lo and behold, the city was named 'Un-named City'!!
Did you copy the scenario to another computer to show it to your brother or was this all on the same machine? If you moved the scenario to another computer, did you export/import the scenario?

It's possible that I'm losing track of the city name at some point. If this happens again could you give me the steps to reproduce it?

Thanks a lot for the bug info!

Wes

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:07 am

OK, I think I realized what the second problem was. I tried but I couldn't get a repeat. Thinking your questions and my actions over, I think that what happened was I reloaded Railroads! several times (I'm experimenting with it) and that probally clears that part of the data. Where is the 'city' info stored? (I can't seem to get rid of that 'Unkown City'!!) I notice the 'Tag' and 'Name' are all that is brought up.

Someone brought up that some starts in certain towns leaves you with poor choices as to which way to run your tracks. I think the 'Rotation' sets that. The 'start Location' doesn't seem to do anything as I left 2 of the original alone, set the other 2 at '90.000656' (removing the check at start location) and I started in Fort Wayne and the AI started in Chicago. 90 appears to be n-s and 0 is e-w. In Midwest Cincinnati is a -150 tho. I have to look at that, unless someone can tell me. Changing those that are found to be poor starts could be rotated to better positions.

Attached is the RSM help file I did up. Look it over and let me know if something is missing or wrong. I only just tonight found out about the '+' and '-' used to name the map before you edit it!!

ace13567

Post by ace13567 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:25 pm

it keeps on saying the application failed to initialize properly for me

akmad

Post by akmad » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:30 pm

ace13567 wrote:it keeps on saying the application failed to initialize properly for me
Do you have the .Net Framework 2.0 installed? If you do, do you have the Railroads Scenario Manager.exe.config file in the same folder as the exe?

Wes