City growth points

It's not a map? It's not a Train? Share and download the files here
Mantose

City growth points

Post by Mantose » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:23 am

From what I understand cities will grow to the next level after so many of any type of goods has been delivered or something close to that ... I think there are other factors depending on the type of good and stuff.

My question is .. can this be adjusted in an xml file somewhere? I have looked but I have had no luck finding anything about when a city will grow to the next level.

I wanted to set up a specific city to grow to the next level after a certain ammount of a specific good has been delivered...

Also wondering if you can set up a specific city to add a landmark after it hits metropolis or another size.
I think it might be possible justy not sure what tags to use

Jancsika

Re: City growth points

Post by Jancsika » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:53 pm

From what I understand cities will grow to the next level after so many of any type of goods has been delivered or something close to that ... I think there are other factors depending on the type of good and stuff.

My question is .. can this be adjusted in an xml file somewhere? I have looked but I have had no luck finding anything about when a city will grow to the next level.
The short answer is: NO!

We can adjust the number of buildings in the RRT_Cities_YYYYY.XML file, but that will only change the appearance of the city, but not the behavior.

We can add more city types and/or rename them, but the first 4 (village, town, city, metropolis) will behave as such, no matter what we call them.
Also wondering if you can set up a specific city to add a landmark after it hits metropolis or another size.
I think it might be possible justy not sure what tags to use
I am afraid the answer is the same, no :mrgreen:
Jancsika

Mantose

Post by Mantose » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:59 pm

Ok

So can you add more city levels? I noticed villige is 0 , town 1 , etc... could you change village to 3 , town to 4 etc ... and then add a new city type for 0,1,2 ?

Can you place the landmark tags to that area rather than an indavidual specific city like normal.

I will try it if no one has already ... just asking save myself some time if people have tried already and just kept crashing the game.

I think you might be able to add a landmark to the city level , just place it in like they do with the number of buildings...I guess it depends if the programming is able to handle it... I am guessing probably not.

What I am trying to do is make a city that will accept certain number of goods ... then after it gets enough ... it will add a specific building or landmark , then it will stop accepting those goods and ask for another type of goods...

I figure you can manipulate it so it will accept certain goods by adding the right demands in city sizes ... then I could add the scewnario goals as ... supply X city with X goods until it grows into a X type of city.

hmm .. think I will go play around .. see what the game can handle without crashing.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:09 pm

Yes you can do that.
It is actually the numbering that counts: 0, 1………10, 11, etc.
You can name them anything you want.
I had maps with 12 cities. I don’t really know what’s the upper limit.
You can change the number of building in each city size. I normally reduce them because when the cities grow the buildings sprawl all over the whole map.

Also you can play with the goods they accept.
For example: have city 2,3,4, accept beer only then when the city grows demand wine instead. (refined taste!!)
I don't know about the landmarks. I've never experimented with them.
As I remember they can be placed in individual cities, so I suppose they might work in general city placement also.
Jancsika

Warll

Post by Warll » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:21 pm

Redknight did some research on city growth patterns including figuring out the number of goods needed: http://smrsimple.com/wiki/index.php?tit ... ds!:Cities

Mantose

Post by Mantose » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:26 pm

well so far ... here is what I have done...

I cant figure out how to place a landmark in a specific city size ... I can add them to specific cities no problem(anyone can, we already knew that was possible).

I can change a specific landmark by saying it is a large building, so it will be in the large building pool when the game selects large buildings to add to cities... but I cant figure out how to add a new building size ... they have small , medium , large ... I was thinking maybe change a specific landmark to Giant then add a line like ...<NumGiantBuildings>1</NumGiantBuildings>

So now I am looking to see if there is a way to add building size (small , medium, Large , "giant") no luck so far...

My other thought is ... you are able to change music by what era , early mid late ... I havnt looked but I am guessing yuou can change train car types by era as well ... I am wondering if there is a way to do that for buildings as well...

I am going to keep looking .. see what I can break .. I mean do

Would be really nice if I could figure out how to add a building size "Giant" like they have for small medium large.

Mantose

Post by Mantose » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:35 pm

Warll wrote:Redknight did some research on city growth patterns including figuring out the number of goods needed: http://smrsimple.com/wiki/index.php?tit ... ds!:Cities
Thanks ... that must of been what I read about city growth a few days ago ...

So far I figured out I can make different city types ... I can manipulate what they want ... I assume if I number them in order they will grow into the next one... example ... if I add in small city (size 0) medium city (size 1) large city(size2) Then change village - metropolis to 3-7...

So I am wondering if I do that ... will a small city grow into a medium city after 41 loads? What about village to town .. how is that effected now that there are 3 city types smaller than village? Will I need over 200 loads to grow a village to a town?

Going to have to play with that when I have time...see how it works out.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:45 pm

You made me curious.
I can put this line in an individual city (like Seattle or Paris), and it will show up,
<szLandmark>BuildingUS_SpaceNeedle.nif</szLandmark>
but it will not work with city types.
Let us know about the number of loads. I have a feeling that it might be on a sliding scale, (size 0 - 3)
Wonder if it applies at 4 and up.
Jancsika

Mantose

Post by Mantose » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:27 am

I got sidetracked ... took about 6 hours to figure out how to add goods , industry and train car and annex for it... annex was the hardest part to figure out.

Now I am trying to figure out how to paint stuff in a good looking way.

I will get back to the city size thing soon and let you guys know.