Map Editing

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
d53642

Map Editing

Post by d53642 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:43 pm

If you have questions about map editing shoot them in here so the map topics don't get over-run with them. Try and keep the map topics for feedback and comments on the specific map. Also be easier for some of us map modders to answer questions here.

d53642

Post by d53642 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:57 pm

First thing is to understand the XML files and how they work. Way I learned was copied MUltiplayer 8 to the desktop renamed it multiplayer 09 then edited the scenerio xml to a different name so I could tell the difference in the map selection screen.

And slowly tweaked some files to see what things would do. Read over alot of code for it to see how firaxis coded things.

To do the maps you will need to know a little bit about Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop as they have alot of tools in them to make the map editing easier.

But even still when you get a map image and put it into the game map, when you got game all the hills will be way wacky and boxy, this is where using the options of a half decent art program comes into play. I use Paint Shop cause I don't have the money to slap onto photoshop.

The best way to learn though is trial and error like I did. See what does what and make small steps, if you change something save it up and goto the game and see what it did. If you take big steps and the map doesn't load or looks whacked you won't know exactly what you did to screw it up.
And by using a copy of another map you don't have to worry about re-installing if you break something.

akmad

Post by akmad » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:18 am

snoopy55 wrote:What is the best 'no cost' way to learn XML?
When you say "learn XML" I think you are confusing yourself. Xml is nothing more than a structured data format, like a CSV (comma separated value) file. Xml is simply a text file that is structured is such a way that it is hierarchical, easily parsed, and self descriptive. Check out this article for a good Xml Tutorial.

Now if you already know what Xml is but want to learn how to use it, that'll depend on what language and libraries you are using. In the .Net world Xml is really easy to work with. You simply create a new XmlDocument object and Load your Xml file into it. This creates an in-memory representation of the xml that you can then play with. Given how pervasive Xml has become most other languages have similar classes (Java and C++ definitely do) that handle the parsing of a Xml file.

Getting started should be as easy as searching for: <lang> Xml Tutorial :wink:

Hope that helps,
Wes[/quote]

Gackbeard

Post by Gackbeard » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:38 pm

darklandz

Post by darklandz » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:58 pm

hmm am i missing something ?? installed the new path but no mapeditor ?

dghillza

Post by dghillza » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:00 pm

Ok so I've loaded patch 1.10 and there's no menu or anything that indicates "Map Editor" so am I missing something here?

Mange

Post by Mange » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:42 pm

You have to place the line:

EditorEnabled = 1

in the settings.ini file and it will be on the in-game menu.

darklandz

Post by darklandz » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:07 pm

Mange wrote:You have to place the line:

EditorEnabled = 1

in the settings.ini file and it will be on the in-game menu.
Ah yes, now i remember having read that somewhere ... heh i'm getting old :? anyway, thanks

VirginiaAndTruckee

Post by VirginiaAndTruckee » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:17 pm

How do you create a heightmap and edit cities?

karsten

Re: Map Editing

Post by karsten » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:27 pm

Check out the detailed explanation here :D
http://smrsimple.com/wiki/index.php?tit ... ustom_maps

VirginiaAndTruckee

Post by VirginiaAndTruckee » Mon May 14, 2012 3:25 am

karsten wrote:Check out the detailed explanation here :D
Interesting.
I actually found this out and forgot I'd posted here, never got 'round to answering because I've been playing around with Trainz. It's a nice game, but SMR's rolling stock is far better in my opinion.

laloha

Post by laloha » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:54 pm

Just something to bring this thread up to a new time stamp.

Tried the AC&W map today and that is most involved and beyond my ability without setting up an Excel worksheet to print and have by my side. hat would be more than I could do too however. Very involved and might explain why so many have really enjoyed this map.

Now, looking into the following site that Kasten, suggested:

I am disenchanted knowing this would be far beyond my ability and sorry to say that. It looks such fun to make something like these maps are today. Being a hobbyist and done some model trains stuff, in HO, years past, carved gun stocks and made black powder rifles, and many other hobby stuff, this started to look like something I would enjoy. But, it is just to evolved for my, what looks like, dwindling brain cells.

I understand these maps must take considerable time, maybe months. My hobby's, mentioned above, took months and, HO years, so might be a trade off in that regards. Just getting into the 3rd quarter of years might be a factor when I look at time anymore.

Do want to say, thanks, again, to all of you who are able to provide these terrific maps for our enjoyment.

Larry, of to attempt another!