Newbie questions

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
weili

Newbie questions

Post by weili » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:33 am

Hi all! I started playing SMR a few months ago and absolutely loved it! I started making my own maps following the tutorials on the wiki and so far I was able to turn "real world maps" into SMR maps, but that's pretty much it :( I have a few questions below and hopefully you guys with more experience can help me out :)
  • When I create a new map, I don't seem to have access to all the industries. I don't want to use all of them but there are some like fish and cannery aren't available. How can I use them?
  • How can I set it up so industries are randomly generated each time the map is played like default maps? It seems like I have to manually place them on the map and set them in cities.
  • How can I setup "goals"? Like do this by this year and so forth?
  • How can I setup "events"? Is it even worth it? Does it affect anything at all?
I'm sure I'll have more questions later, thanks!

weili

Re: Newbie questions

Post by weili » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:27 pm

...Anyone? :cry:

karsten

Post by karsten » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:32 pm

Basically, the editor is there to fine-sculpt the landscape. All the rest is best defined in the XML files.

You want to place a cannery? Check out how it was done in an existing map XML with canneries - and off you go.

Best of luck! :D

weili

Post by weili » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:46 am

karsten wrote:Basically, the editor is there to fine-sculpt the landscape. All the rest is best defined in the XML files.

You want to place a cannery? Check out how it was done in an existing map XML with canneries - and off you go.

Best of luck! :D
Thanks for your reply.

How can I view the XML of built-in maps?

Also I have 4 cities set as starting location yet "The Nameless City" still keeps popping up? :?

karsten

Post by karsten » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:19 am

You will find the XML files in the folder structure of the SMR folder - since I have the game on PC, you will have to dig down and find them on Mac yourself. Get yourself a free XML editor to view both the original files (don't change them, or you will have to reinstall your game) and the XML files of your editor-generated custom map in the UserMaps folder.

You may want to follow this tutorial viewtopic.php?p=47926#p47926 :P