Looking for someone to cobble together a model.

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
dda40x

Looking for someone to cobble together a model.

Post by dda40x » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:29 pm

Hey guys!

I am working on a new, fairly large (18x18) map, and have need of a new annex model. I'm introducing whistle stops, which are frontier terminals for less populated areas. These will produce a light assortment of goods, as the locals in the area deliver their goods to the station for sale in larger markets (cities).

Historically, these weren't as significant as other annex types, but were very important to frontier ranchers, miners and such that relied on the frontier depot for trade and commerce.

They also provided a place for trains to restock their water and fuel supplies, which while it doesn't come into play in SMR mechanics, can at least be inferred by the depot placement on the map and victory conditions.

It will be coupled with a 'standard' train station depot model that is in use already. Essentially, it needs a water tower, a suitably sized storage building, and a small handful of houses, preferably with an 'Old West' feel.

I may tailor the output of these to the area of the map where they are placed, but essentially a single model will be sufficient for this purpose. As this is a multipurpose annex, I won't need any animations to display the goods that are being stockpiled (that would get too complicated).

If there were a stockpile display mechanic, groups of people milling around, perhaps with boxes, wagons etc., patiently waiting for the train would probably be the best way to display this, but again I'm not too worried about this part.

The Annex mechanic provides the rate of growth I'm looking for, and I don't want to use cities for these, as these frontier stops historically never developed into full bonafide cities. The population count of these frontier 'towns' rarely exceeded 1000, and many of these became ghost towns in later years.

I'm envisioning the profitability model of these as being fairly low, so that in later game years they may not be worth the expense of using larger locos to service. And if a nearby city or track spur gets too busy servicing other areas, a player may find it appropriate to let these wither on the vine at that point.

I haven't seen a model similar to what I'm looking for, so I'm wondering if someone can cobble together one from existing buildings into a suitable group of annex files, or point me to this if it has already been made.

I have zero modeling skills/software, so the most I am able do is skin modification for locos and such. Hence my request.

I'd appreciate the help!
DDA40X
8)

dda40x

Re: Looking for someone to cobble together a model.

Post by dda40x » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm still looking for an appropriate model for a Frontier Town/Depot Annex, but in the meantime I downloaded Blender and took a crack at a water tower. If you know of an appropriate model for a frontier town, I'd love to know about it!

This Blender took me some time to figure out...
Ye Olde Water Tower
Ye Olde Water Tower
Unfortunately, I can't get this to successfully export currently as I haven't figured out the whole texture/UV thing as of yet.

I did see the water tower in one of Rodea's models for Mud Skippers. While it is a gorgeous model, it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:50 am

dda40x wrote:
I did see the water tower in one of Rodea's models for Mud Skippers. While it is a gorgeous model, it wasn't quite what I was looking for.
So...what are you looking for?...maybe I can help
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:05 pm

I will do some digging as well. I think I know what you are looking for...the old west style water tower or something old west style for a depot. I have some models in Vue 'd Esprit that are the old west style buildings and such. Rodea could take your model and import it into his 3D Max and get it converted faster if you wish.

Oh...thanks for the Mud Skippers plug :D

dda40x

Post by dda40x » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:35 pm

Thanks guys! I lost patience with Blender, but may take another crack at it soon. 3D Modeling requires more time and patience than I'm willing to commit to at this point.

I took a break for a bit, but should get back on this soon.

I'm still hoping that someone (not me) decides to tackle a DDA40X locomotive model, in honor of the 150th Anniversary of Union Pacific...