Authorship controversy - Mud Skippers

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
Lowell

Authorship controversy - Mud Skippers

Post by Lowell » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Mud Skippers

I am saddened to see that others have stripped my work from me. I spent several months making and testing that mod all by myself, along with several beta testers. Holidays In Ohio Toy Trains is edited the exact same way. The Mud Skippers files I have run perfect...so what's the beef? Just want to smash my face in the mud again...pardin the pun.

I was not informed anyone was going to re-vamp and "take-over" my mod work. If you required any type changes...you should know I of all people would want to be the one who made any type changes.

Bobby never made Mud Skippers...nor Florida Gold...which I was asked to reload along with Georgia and others. What am I to expect...someone to take them over and claim them to be theirs too?

PNG's hold more color layers. If you import a png as a bitmap you just stripped off layers from the png that I painted on...so you would "see holes" in the bitmap image. I tried to explain this many times. If for some strange reason all images need to be edited as bitmaps then I will edit all mine as "flat" colored bitmaps. But the game displays PNG's just fine.

The Mud Skippers I built runs Flawless even now...so why take my work?

Please explain. Also other maps were made as Sams and the old map makers names were left alone...so why was mine stripped? Just a vendetta? Not to mention that Mud Skippers is and always was a self contained map so it didn't need to be made a sam, it already was one.

I am not upset...just want the truth before I go any farther. Thanks

P.S. Oh...not to mention that I have a new "proper" type cargo ship for that mod. The one used that Rodea had was for loading and unloading from the rear door. I just have to get down my new LightWave 10 export to Nif file extention stuff, I also have several new engines and cars etc.

Lowell@CrimsonSun.cc

vzbob

Re: Stealing Others Work - Mud Skippers

Post by vzbob » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:47 pm

Lowell wrote:Mud Skippers

I am saddened to see that others have stripped my work from me. I spent several months making and testing that mod all by myself, along with several beta testers. Holidays In Ohio Toy Trains is edited the exact same way. The Mud Skippers files I have run perfect...so what's the beef? Just want to smash my face in the mud again...pardin the pun.

I was not informed anyone was going to re-vamp and "take-over" my mod work. If you required any type changes...you should know I of all people would want to be the one who made any type changes.

Bobby never made Mud Skippers...nor Florida Gold...which I was asked to reload along with Georgia and others. What am I to expect...someone to take them over and claim them to be theirs too?

PNG's hold more color layers. If you import a png as a bitmap you just stripped off layers from the png that I painted on...so you would "see holes" in the bitmap image. I tried to explain this many times. If for some strange reason all images need to be edited as bitmaps then I will edit all mine as "flat" colored bitmaps. But the game displays PNG's just fine.

The Mud Skippers I built runs Flawless even now...so why take my work?

Please explain. Also other maps were made as Sams and the old map makers names were left alone...so why was mine stripped? Just a vendetta? Not to mention that Mud Skippers is and always was a self contained map so it didn't need to be made a sam, it already was one.

I am not upset...just want the truth before I go any farther. Thanks

P.S. Oh...not to mention that I have a new "proper" type cargo ship for that mod. The one used that Rodea had was for loading and unloading from the rear door. I just have to get down my new LightWave 10 export to Nif file extention stuff, I also have several new engines and cars etc.

Lowell@CrimsonSun.cc
Do not blame me for that listing on the Map Database Page on this website as WarII posted all those as it is his website. And again you gave permission to do it and it is listed as made by you on My Website. So go read all your old posts and refresh your memory and do start all the arguing all over again.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:41 pm

Lowell, things were quiet here, why are you choosing to cause trouble. The only people that can post on the Map Database on this site is Warll and the one or two people he has assigned to do it. That map was not presented to him, it was downloaded off of Bobby's Railroads here: http://eric.bkbobby.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1553#p1553

If you take a look at it, it states:

Map:Mud Skippers SAM2

Created by: Lowell/Bobby

SAMed By: Bobby.

It was also posted over two years ago and you did your complaining then: viewtopic.php?p=44640#p44640

Anything posted on this site, or Bobby's Railroad's, can be downloaded and modded. I, with help from others, have built dozens of Mods for this game and they have been downloaded and edited many times. You don't see any of us complaining, that is what forums are for, uploading material to be used in this game, unless it has a total copywrite on it, and that is only to keep people from claiming it as theirs or selling it, neither of which was done to your maps or Mods.

Please do not come here and start stomping around yelling and pouting again.

All you had to do was PM the administration, namely Warll, and ask him nicely if he could replace the posted version with yours.

Technically speaking, that map is not Mud Skippers, it is Mud Skippers SAM2, which, as vzbob stated, you gave permission for your map to be edited and reposted as long as the name was changed. And since there were things changed in it, that does make it no longer your version.

And it was not made into a 'SAM', but a 'SAM2' which takes out unneeded files like the Factory's files that are part of the game, and any extra XMLs, which the game gets along fine with only one of each. And as much detail as you PNGs have, the game does not use them, and you should know that.

And your last paragraph is another reason that it was converted and posted on Bobby's Railroad's, instead of making new maps with the new Mods you do, you keep editing your old maps, map you keep announcing but never produce.

Please just leave it alone and go do some Modding and map making.

Warll, either lock this post or delete it, Lowell is opening old cans of worms that have been dead for a couple of years.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Warll

Post by Warll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:31 am

I remember that map, it was listed under Bobby because Lowell explicitly said that he did not want his name attached to it(didn't want his name being hijacked, reasonable). Or at least that's was the impression I got at the time. It is in fact the only map other than Aberdeen Carolina and Western Railroad that Snoopy or Bobby get any direct credit, despite their considerable efforts standardising the map formats.

Snoopy and Bobby are correct, no one but myself is responsible for what goes into the "map database". In fact for a period of time they likely would have preferred I not repost their work. :lol:

If Lowell would like the map reposted under his authorship and without the quite explicit disclaimer then I would love to do that.

In the future if anyone spots a problem with the map database (like how iceland claims to be made by "<a") then PM'ing will get it fixed the fastest. Unfortunately there is a bug with wordpress that is preventing my from changing the tags of maps(which is how we now store authorship for maps) hence why the iceland bug is still there.

Lowell if there is a further issue please PM me.