integrated Train Table

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
monolithos

integrated Train Table

Post by monolithos » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:00 pm

hi all,

since we can only play one custom map installed in SMR,
i tried to pick 1 most complete map ever made..but i cant found one.

so i decide to edit a map as my "forever" train table..while waiting for SMR2 :)
I'd like to have this train table more advanced in terrain and contour, and it should has most complete trains, goods and industries.

any advice, where i should start and notice to avoid crash and error ?

Jancsika

Re: integrated Train Table

Post by Jancsika » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:00 pm

You have to have patch 1.10 installed, then read these instructions.
http://www.smrsimple.com/forums/viewtop ... =42&t=3802

Start the terrain editor and everything will fall in place.
You also can read this post.
http://www.smrsimple.com/forums/viewtop ... =42&t=4226
Any problems????Just post it here.
Jancsika

monolithos

Post by monolithos » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:24 pm

thanksss Jancsika :D

umm.. its too difficult for me to create a brand new map that way :(
i think i only need the terrain editor to modify few terrain things and the map will base on america / europe map.

1. default terrain editor has few industries..how to activate a complete SMR industries without any crash ?

2. can i get any non-standard industries / goods like : LNG from borneo map ? now i can only mod the XML file.

3. also can i get all the additional trains from B&R map together in this new map?

4. just curious..i saw a screenshot from one of this site banner (usually on the top), the train has snow on the roof at the snowy terrain..how to get this effect in europe map? could it be done by only adding snow on the terrain ?

thanks again :mrgreen:

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:49 pm

1. That is not the default terrain editor you are looking at. That is the terrain editor for that particular map you are working with.
I am going to make it easy for you.
Here is a map called : “NewMap” .It has all the stock goods and industries. Unzip it in your UserMaps folder.
NewMap.rar
(82.31 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
With an XML editor, or a plain text editor open the RRT_Scenario_User_NewMap.XML file and the end of the file replace the map name in these two lines with the name of your old map.
<szMapFileName>map_NewMap.tga</szMapFileName>
<szMapThumbnail>map_NewMap_thumbnail.dds</szMapThumbnail>

As long as you keep the old map in the folder, this will work.
Some of points 2, 3, and 4, can be done.
I have to know if you are familiar with XML editing, but you can not just go into an other map and lift an industry.

As for adding snow to the trees one of our members (Rodea and Lowell) did it. We are just copying and editing the graphics that they created.
========================================
An please read this from the FAQ
How do I add new goods to my map?
Basic rule of adding a good to the your map.

1.Add the good to RRT_Goods_Mapname.XML (If it is a SAM map the filename is: RRT_Goods.XML
2.Add the traincar to haul the good to RRT_Traincar_Mapname.XML
3.Add an industry to produce the good to RRT_Industries_Mapname.XML
4.Add an industry to receive the good to RRT_Industries_Mapname.XML, or modify the cities in RRT_Cities_Mapname.XML
5.If there are only stock (Firaxis) industries you don't have to worry about the Annexes for the field (Oil, Grain) industries. But if it has custom industries, you will need an RRT_Depots_Mapname_XML , with ALL THE USED stock depots, including mail and passengers.

Warll

Post by Warll » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:17 pm

SMR has some hardcoded restrictions on things. For instance you can have ~30 goods on any map. As well if you were to use all the custom assets you would run out of RAM.

I don't intend to discourage you, rather it is good that you are trying to satisfy what you want out of the game. Unfortunately you might have to scale back.

PS: The snow train was from Lowell's latest map, "Christmas" something or other. :lol:

monolithos

Post by monolithos » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:24 pm

thanks Jancsika..

i ve tried the terrain editor with :
1. B&R installed (for the complete train),
2. replace the map with europe2deluxe map
3. adding some stuff from Borneo
and its all work just fine so far :mrgreen:

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:57 pm

I am glad to hear it. :)
You have to be careful for one thing. If and when adding new details to the map, one never can be sure if there will be some conflict.
It is useful to back-up your work before each additional step. It can save a lot of headache later.
The reason I am telling this, because this game has an annoying tendency to crash even after you think you have removed the offending entries.
Jancsika

monolithos

Post by monolithos » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:52 am

hi Jancsika,

umm..a little error i got here :(
since the NewMaps didn't have a RRT_Depots file, i just simply copy from B&R to both NewMaps and my EditedMap.
Then adding some depots from Borneo to match the other goods i've added before. (some related BIM folders already fill the Custom Assets folder).
But the game start crashed when loading that particular depot.

Mantose

Post by Mantose » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:52 am

making maps can be extremly tricky... My latest issue was putting an industry 1 line too low so it was outside of an important bracket ... took me a while to figure out what was wrong.

I have been going along much faster than when I first started the other day... I usually put in one good at a time ...

Today I added MRE Meals to my mars scenario ... I started out with adding the basic food good with the basic food plant and basic food car ... then I started replacing things until it was all custom the way I wanted it. That seems to work best for me.

http://www.smrsimple.com/forums/viewtop ... =42&t=3802

http://www.smrsimple.com/forums/viewtop ... =42&t=3378

2 helpful things to read to get started

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:56 am

Here is a file of Rodea’s Depots and Buildings. I don’t have them separated, but you might be able to use them.
Buildings_Depots_Borneo.zip
(2.97 MiB) Downloaded 436 times
Once you start using Depots for non stock (Firaxis’ industries) you have to list all the depots, even the stock ones.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3802
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3378
2 helpful things to read to get started
Glad that you found them useful. It takes time and patience to learn. When I started here I had absolutely no knowledge about these things. But there were some great teachers with a lot of patience to teach.

We are running several parallel threads. Since they begin to overlap, why not continue with only one thread. That is if you don’t mind. And you pick…
Jancsika

monolithos

Post by monolithos » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:13 am

Thanks Mantose & Jancsika for the references,
i found the depot loading problem was : i forgot to edit the RRT_Scenario_User_**.XML at the <DepotsXMLfile> line :mrgreen:

Mantose

Post by Mantose » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:40 am

I had the same issue .. and one of those 2 links helped me out.

monolithos

Post by monolithos » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:24 am

hi again..
another issue in editing a map, how to place a coastal industry field such as fishery and port?
every time i start to play (test) the map, the land (beach) near the fishery will be cropped out and the fishery now standing on the sea :(

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:27 pm

You have to drag and rotate them parallel with the shoreline. It’s by trial and error. Avoid high shorelines.
Rotate.jpg
The arrow is for select, the Cross Arrow is for; Move.
When you click on the wrech icon, it will show the effect of changes you made.
And don't forget to save here. The floppy icon.
Jancsika
PS.....and the little houses are for teaser :lol:

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:13 am

another issue in editing a map, how to place a coastal industry field such as fishery and port?
I’ve posted Rodea’s Borneo Port in the Construction Set, if you are interested, you can use it.

http://www.smrsimple.com/forums/viewtop ... =50&t=3875