CIC,SAM, None the above.

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
Jancsika

CIC,SAM, None the above.

Post by Jancsika » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:09 pm

I moved some of the posts here from the map discussion, because it was getting away from the subject, but I would like to see a civil discussion continued.
Jancsika

Jancsika

Re: CIC,SAM, None the above.

Post by Jancsika » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:13 pm

• The map is rock-stable (not a single crash), reloading a saved game is easy. Clear recommendation for CIC status.

Why you can told this map with "Clear recomendation for CIC status", look at all XMLs file, there is not like CIC wich make full listing for all XMLs, but this map didn't like that, only new item not as default item will make it full listing.
    As to folder namely Assets under CustomAsset Folder, that is not reflects the style of a map, because you can change that name with "karsten" for the example, then the name will not affect to any things. CIC still use RRT_Goods.xml as goods xml put in UserMaps folder, but this map have RRT_Goods.xml as Global xml with full listing and put in CustomAssets Folder/XML, and actually this map style is Rodea Style without installer, but like the mapper this map said "This is not a SAM or a SAM2 or a CIC or any other type. Just take it as a map to play!!!" that is correct.....
    NO ACTION TALK ONLY

Bushdoctor Post subject: Re: Nafta Phase II New MapPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:34 am

Location: The Netherlands I'm glad to hear you're going to SAM this map.
    It will take care of the excess fles and total size.

I believe that the 'speed of time' (for lack of a better word) may be the cause of the amounts of money being made from passenger transport.

If i'm not mistaken, days go by faster than regular in this scenario. So, even if it looks like a train takes a regular amount of time to deliver its passengers, in fact it takes many days to arrive at the next station. The longer (and further) a good has to travel, the more money is being earned at delivery.

Just look at the difference between the game's price for passengers and what they actually bring in when being delivered. It's more than ten times the amount..
    That's what generating all the cash. (Same goes for other goods. They pay out way too heavy imo).

Still, a great scenario! I love the long distances.

Greets!
    Doc.

PS. My graphics processor is an Nvidea GTX260, it handles even the most advanced First Person Shooters without a problem. Hence my assumption that it's got to do with how the game uses that graphics power... or something..

Jancsika Post subject: Re: Nafta Phase II New MapPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:52 am

I'm glad to hear you're going to SAM this map.
    It will take care of the excess fles and total size

I am not quite sure that I want to change it to SAM.
    I have nothing against SAM and most of my maps are SAM-s and I will be making more SAM maps.
    But this file structure is working soo flawlessly that I don't want to tinker with it.Disk space is cheap these days.
    Maybe I will ask Rodea to make an installer for it.
    But I don't think it will be necessary, because this way it is a very clean installation. While, if you use an Installer, it will leave the old files in place. It just adds to them. And that might cause conflict that the player is not avare of and will blame the installer or the mapmaker.
    Jancsika

Hey! Rodea. We are posting 1 minute apart.

Rodea2007 Post subject: Re: Nafta Phase II New MapPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:53 am

I'm glad to hear you're going to SAM this map.
    It will take care of the excess fles and total size.

I don't think if this Map convert to SAM style, then it will take care of the excess files and total size, because it will only change RRT_Goods_NAFTA PHASE II.xml to become RRT_Goods.xml, and then delete RRT_Goods.xml as Global in CustomAssets/XML folder just it..... , you can't delete the others files because it will cause the map will get CTD or will not working, I very well understand about this, because I participated this Map designed to work properly

Edit///....but as Jancsika said it will reduce size of the upload files if make an Installer for this map, for example Borneo Island Map have size almost 200 MBs, but with Installer only have size 36 Mb
    NO ACTION TALK ONLY

karsten Post subject: Re: Nafta Phase II New MapPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:23 pm

Why you can told this map with "Clear recomendation for CIC status", actually this map style is Rodea Style without installer
    Good point - if they both have the Rodea file structure, why did the one map (NAFTA) reload easily for me, but have a strong tendency to freeze - and the other (Borneo) reloaded only with much fussing about, but had virtually zero freeze problems despite its large size

Actually, neither map was installed on my machine exactly as either Rodea or Jancsika intended. The installer crashed, so I had to copy and paste the bits and pieces of Borneo that I thought were needed, and, like Bushdoctor, I did not want to overwrite my own settings with Jancsika's personal settings, so I also did my own copy and paste for NAFTA II.
    I guess the ideal combination of Goods.xml and Mapname_Goods.xml remains open for further research.
    And just to take up Jancsika's point, I made sure that I had a clean installation to start with in both cases, so there was no interference from any old files etc.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:35 pm

Actually, neither map was installed on my machine exactly as either Rodea or Jancsika intended. The installer crashed, so I had to copy and paste the bits and pieces of Borneo that I thought were needed, and, like Bushdoctor, I did not want to overwrite my own settings with Jancsika's personal settings, so I also did my own copy and paste for NAFTA II.

Same here. With the Borneo map I've used the installer,but moved the Assets folder and the Goods file around, untill I discovered that it will also work as Rodea intended, only I had to be persistent.
But to add to the confusion they worked in the UserMaps folder, or even in the Borneo folder.

Firaxis is using the CustomAssets folder for their maps.
There is an"XML" subfolder and a "_SCENARIOS_" sub-sub folder that can be used. As I remeber at the beginning of mapmaking I was using the "_SCENARIOS_" folder for maps.
At that time the XML files were not yet discovered. :D
Jancsika

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:56 pm

:idea: Well, how exactly did Rodea intend the files to work?

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:51 am

Well, how exactly did Rodea intend the files to work?
I presume as it was placed by the installer. :wink: :lol:
Jancsika

karsten

Post by karsten » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:11 am

The installer crashed halfway while trying to move a goods file, so I don't know what the end result was supposed to be - perhaps the same as in your setup of files for NAFTA II?

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Here is a shot of the placement of the files.
I just reinstalled Borneo. Never had any trouble with Rodea's installer.

Note the location of the RRT_Goods.xml file, there is a RRT_Goods_Borneo.XML file in the Usermaps\Borneo folder.

I could move both the RRT_Goods.xml file and the Assets folders around. Placed them in the UserMaps folder or even in the UserMaps\Borneo folder.
That's why I say "As long as it works; it is OK"
Jancsika
Attachments
Image1.jpg

karsten

Post by karsten » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:01 pm

"As long as it works; it is OK"
Exactly my thinking! Thanks for the screenshot, I will try to see whether moving the goods files around improves the loading of a saved game. :D

When comparing your Goods.xml and Mapname_Goods.xml for NAFTA II, I found what appears to be the cause of an icon overlap for Iron Ore and Scrap Metal. Nothing serious, did not crash the map, but was initially confusing in-game and should be quick to fix.
Attachments
Nafta IIProblem01.jpg
Nafta IIIron Ore empty03.jpg
Nafta IIEmpty Scrap Metal02.jpg
Nafta IIFull Scrap Metal04.jpg

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:40 am

karsten wrote:The installer crashed halfway while trying to move a goods file, so I don't know what the end result was supposed to be - perhaps the same as in your setup of files for NAFTA II?
Karsten, what happened to you is the same as what happened to Pete, I do not understand why it happened?, If something like that happens to everybody, it means there is an error in the installer, but I and Jancsika and maybe some people do not obtain the incident, and I think this is an error on your system, where there is a file system (not the file Borneo) is needed to run the installer has not installed in your system. and to note that Intaller using Microsoft Visual C # or C + + as program language, so you should install the latest patches from the software, and for this I use Microsoft Visual C + + version 2008, and the Installer made by NSIS Software (now version 2.4) http://sourceforge.net/projects/nsis/fi ... e/download, even if you do not use this software, I recommend you to put on your system
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:55 am

Jancsika wrote:Here is a shot of the placement of the files.
I just reinstalled Borneo. Never had any trouble with Rodea's installer.

Note the location of the RRT_Goods.xml file, there is a RRT_Goods_Borneo.XML file in the Usermaps\Borneo folder.

I could move both the RRT_Goods.xml file and the Assets folders around. Placed them in the UserMaps folder or even in the UserMaps\Borneo folder.
That's why I say "As long as it works; it is OK"
Jancsika
Are you still remember to Firaxis Map namely "Santa Holiday"???, so what you are doing with put RRT_Goods.xml in UserMaps folder is like that, It means that if you put another Map with the Borneo Island Map in UserMaps, then the Map will CTD, like what has happened to Santa Holiday. and that's what I do not want, I want another Map can be placed with the Borneo Island Map, and not there are other ways to it, no RRT_Goods.xml placed on UserMaps Folder
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:04 am

karsten wrote: When comparing your Goods.xml and Mapname_Goods.xml for NAFTA II, I found what appears to be the cause of an icon overlap for Iron Ore and Scrap Metal. Nothing serious, did not crash the map, but was initially confusing in-game and should be quick to fix.
Yes...it will not cause CTD,
This below is correct writing
<Good>
<szName>Scrap Metal</szName>
<szClass>Freight</szClass>
<szGTMLIcon>icon_scrapmetal_32.tga</szGTMLIcon>
<BitmapLarge>
<szFile>icon_scrapmetal_64.tga</szFile>
</BitmapLarge>
<BitmapSmall>
<szFile>icon_scrapmetal_32.tga</szFile>
</BitmapSmall>
<BitmapTiny>
<szFile>icon_scrapmetal_16.tga</szFile>
</BitmapTiny>
<BitmapCar>
<szFile>NFT_II_cariconsideviews.tga</szFile>
<uiX>32</uiX>
<uiY>32</uiY>
<uiWidth>32</uiWidth>
<uiHeight>16</uiHeight>
</BitmapCar>
<BitmapCarEmpty>
<szFile>NFT_II_cariconsideviewsempty.tga</szFile>
<uiX>32</uiX>
<uiY>32</uiY>
<uiWidth>32</uiWidth>
<uiHeight>16</uiHeight>
</BitmapCarEmpty>
<Color>78, 133, 138</Color>
<MinPrice>12000</MinPrice>
<MaxPrice>22000</MaxPrice>
<szIndustryLeaderTitle>Scrappy</szIndustryLeaderTitle>
<szIndustryPlayerTitle>Scooby</szIndustryPlayerTitle>
</Good>
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:38 am

Karsten, what happened to you is the same as what happened to Pete, I do not understand why it happened?, If something like that happens to everybody, it means there is an error in the installer, but I and Jancsika and maybe some people do not obtain the incident, and I think this is an error on your system, where there is a file system (not the file Borneo) is needed to run the installer has not installed in your system. and to note that Intaller using Microsoft Visual C # or C + + as program language, so you should install the latest patches from the software, and for this I use Microsoft Visual C + + version 2008, and the Installer made by NSIS Software (now version 2.4) http://sourceforge.net/projects/nsis/fi ... e/download, even if you do not use this software, I recommend you to put on your system
The installer, once made, supposed to be independent from the program language. I am sure I don't have Visual C ++ or anything like that on may machine. I would not know what to do with it. :roll: :roll:
It could be a Firewall or a Virus protection program or something similar.
Are you still remember to Firaxis Map namely "Santa Holiday"???, so what you are doing with put RRT_Goods.xml in UserMaps folder is like that, It means that if you put another Map with the Borneo Island Map in UserMaps, then the Map will CTD, like what has happened to Santa Holiday. and that's what I do not want, I want another Map can be placed with the Borneo Island Map, and not there are other ways to it, no RRT_Goods.xml placed on UserMaps Folder
Thanks for the warning, but I have gotten into the habit to have only one map at a time in my .....Sid Meier's Railroads! folder.
A new folder for every map.
That's the safest, and I can recomend it to everybody.
Jancsika
what appears to be the cause of an icon overlap for Iron Ore and Scrap Metal.
Bad reference location ( X Y ).

karsten

Post by karsten » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:51 am

Good progress we are making! :D I do wonder though whether Jancsika is using the installer files that are available for download or an earlier version directly sent by Rodea.
I fully agree with ONE map at a time in UserMaps. It is THE stability innovation that ensures that the maps are self-contained and thus stable. 8)

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:51 pm

karsten wrote:Good progress we are making! :D I do wonder though whether Jancsika is using the installer files that are available for download or an earlier version directly sent by Rodea.
I fully agree with ONE map at a time in UserMaps. It is THE stability innovation that ensures that the maps are self-contained and thus stable. 8)
I had send the address of download Installer to Jancsika, but for the peoples, tomorrow I guess it will uploaded..... :)
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:30 am

I run 12 maps at a time. None of which are SMRI, CIC, nor SAM [1 or 2]. All of them have original content only and add nothing to the custom assets folder. I have to be a little choosier than most, but it is how I deal with the game to my liking. I try not to get involved in the zipping, archiving, deleting, restoring crowd. Just pick and choose from the games built-in menu. I do have some custom icons and the tender mod installed, but that is about it. I may be missing a lot of custom content, but it is not important to me. The different created maps created from the editor alone suite me fine. Maps like this got harder to find once the board started removing them and replacing them the SAM version only. Yet I survive with the old style ones I have found before then, just fine. I do backup my 'games' folder before installing a new map, and if the install adds anything to the custom assets folder, I may play it once, delete it, then go back to my backup. I will not keep a map that adds anything to custom contents folder. I do applaud the efforts of those making custom content, don't get me wrong, I just like the menu system the way the game was intended, and sacrifice a little to keep it that way. Happy 2010!
motherboard : Asus P5N-E SLI
processor: Dual Core 2.4 GHz
memory : 2046MB
video card: GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
operating system: winxp media
Display: 24" Dell at 1920x1200