How to go about changing existing maps?

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
goofazoid

How to go about changing existing maps?

Post by goofazoid » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:33 am

I want to take an existing scenario and change it up a little, add a few more towns/resources etc to the map to make it both a little more challenging and to make a game last a little longer against the computer players.

I have tried copying the one I want to change and pasting it in the folder for user created mods, I have tried creating a mod then opening both it and the mod I want to copy and copy/pasting all of the code over, renaming etc. None of it seems to work (usually either the editor wont see it or it will crash while loading).

Thanks for any help!

edit: I hope this is the right section for this post :)
Last edited by goofazoid on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jancsika

Re: How to Changing Existing Maps?

Post by Jancsika » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:02 am

It can be done.
What I suggest first that you read up on it a little. There is an extensive Wiki written about MODS.
The Wiki link is on the top of the page.

There is an other Wiki at this address (you have to be sign up to be able to access them:
http://eric.bkbobby.com/media/index.php?title=Main_Page
The map experts are mostly on Bobby's site.
Jancsika

goofazoid

Re: How to Changing Existing Maps?

Post by goofazoid » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:25 am

the wiki link above gets me:
Welcome to Hooked Gamers!
Unfortunately, the link that you followed is out of date or broken

If you were looking for our reviews or previews, please click here.

If you were looking for our columns, please click here.

If you were just interested in the site and followed an old link, please click here.

If you are certain that the link should have worked, please report it to our staff. We'll fix it as quickly as we can!
Please, enjoy your stay with us!

- The Hooked Gamers Staff

Jancsika

Re: How to go about changing existing maps?

Post by Jancsika » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:04 pm

the wiki link above gets me:

Quote:
Welcome to Hooked Gamers!
Unfortunately, the link that you followed is out of date or broken
It happened again. It looks like manegement knows about it.

http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... =31&t=3461

Go to the other link I gave you. It is working and is more comprehensive and up to date.

Jancsika

goofazoid

Post by goofazoid » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:40 am

the second wiki I had already looked it, and sadly the section on changing existing scenarios/maps is not completed. :(

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:32 am

OK, then let's start at the beginning.
1.I presume, that Patch 1.01 is installed.
2.You have the Terrain Editor activated.

If that's so, then open the Terrain Editor and Start a new map from a scenario map.
That will create a map in the C:\Users\user\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\UserMaps directory.
This will give you a map, industries, goods the same what the original scenario had, but not the Cities.
Basically you will have to make a new map of your own design.

The original Scenarios are in the C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\Assets\XML\_SCENARIOS_
directory and I would not venture to edit them, but you can look them over to see how Firaxis is doing it..

If you have any questions or problems, just let me know. It is not as difficult as it looks at the first glance, all you have to do is to familiarize yourself with the map structure.

....and if you want challenging maps try this http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... =42&t=3177 or any of the SAM (Stand Alone Maps) in the Maps section
Jancsika

keotaman

Post by keotaman » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:06 am

Jancsika wrote:OK, then let's start at the beginning.
1.I presume, that Patch 1.01 is installed. ...
(psst, that's the old one, the current patch is 1.10 - RailroadsPatch110.zip - 21+Mb) from: http://www.2kgames.com/railroads/railroads.html

goofazoid

Post by goofazoid » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:48 am

Ok got that far, thanks for the help.
Do you know if its possible to edit the map from one of the ones that comes with the game?
Many times I find that the set up I am given is pretty much un-winnable, at more than the easiest levels, as my starting city is too far for any of the resoruces it wants, and its even too far from other towns with passengers. (to far as in I dont have enough starting funds to get track laid to it and put in a depot without selling a good bit of my stock, then getting bought out by the computer players in less than 30 min of play time)
I want to add a couple small towns and/or resources to the maps so that its a more even field for me against the computer.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:02 pm

You have to change tactics.
There is a thread about strategy, from people who are more qualified than me to answer the same questions that you posted..
http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... =34&t=2796

I hope this helped.
As for going into the scenario and try to add additional resources: I would not do it, because you have to get into the Firaxis program files.

Jancsika