Help on User Created Content

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
cobweb

Help on User Created Content

Post by cobweb » Tue May 19, 2009 9:40 am

This may be newbie, but.... Can anyone tell me why when I'm trying to mod a SAM, or any other type, map, I can only get the industry and resources that came with the game to work. Everytime I try and use some of the Building Block Industry or Resources I CTD. But, if I just use the original material there is no problem the map works fine.

I've tried to read through the forum and read and reread mapmaking 101 thru 101d and more. Everything is entered where it is supposed to be according to what I"ve read here. Still...CTD. I'm beginning to get the CTD frayed nerves. It's probably something simple that I'm trying to make hard.
I've modded through the Civ series, AoK series and all RT's including RT3, but I've hit a wall here. I hope someone can help me on this. Thank in advance.

Lowell

Re: Help on User Created Content

Post by Lowell » Wed May 20, 2009 1:49 am

Well, new stuff is easy to add to the game, you just have to add it correctly.

I am not sure about those BBs, but I do know what you need in order to get new items to work. I make all my new content from the games default scripts and such, then build from there. It works better and works everytime.

When you add a new industry, you need the new goods listed, then there are the train cars that are needed for anything new to get transported around etc.

Be more specific as to what you are trying to build/add, and I can walk you through what to do and or look out for if you like.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Wed May 20, 2009 4:00 am

There is simple rule:
1.You have a Good. (Grain)
2.It needs a TrainCar to haul it. ( Grain Car)
3.It needs an Industry to produce it. (Grain Farm)
4.It needs an Depot (Annex) to load it. (Grain Farm Annex)
5.It needs an Industry to receive it (Food Plant)

In-City industries don't need a separate depot. The city's Railroad station automatically takes care of it.

Sometimes you have to edit the RRT_cities_MAPNAME.xlm file to receive good, like food or textiles or automobiles.

Do all your editing in C:\Users\user\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads! Directory.
Never touch the installed program files C:\Program Files\2K Games\Fir axis Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\Assets etc.

You have patch 1.10 ?
If you have the Firaxis “Holiday” scenario installed, remove it, because it interferes with Modding the game.
...and if you have any more question, just ask, there is always somebody here to help.
Jancsika

cobweb

Post by cobweb » Thu May 21, 2009 12:01 pm

First, thanks to Lowell and Jancsika for your help.

I'm still CTDing. Here is a quick breakdown of what I'm attempting.
Cattle Ranch--Livestock--Livestock Car--Tannery (BB)--Cowhides--Cowhide Car (BB)--Leatherworks (Football Manufacturer BB renamed)--Fine Leather (BB)--Fine Leather Car (BB Football Car )--shipped to T-C-M.

Second: Fruit Orchard (Vineyard Annex renamed)--Fruit (BB)--Fruit Car (Produce Car renamed)--Jelly Works (BB Steamboat Company renamed)--Jelly (BB)--Jelly Car (BB Grn BN Boxcar renamed)--shipped to T-C-M.

I managed to get the fruit orchard working in editor and in game, but when I tried the Cattle Ranch-Tannery it CTDed. Then, I couldn't even get back into the editor, on this map, until I removed everything including my working Fruit orchard.

Added xml text provided with all the building blocks to Goods xml, Industry xml, Cities xml, TrainCar xml, all in the UserMap folder, added fpk's in CustomAssets, even placed full explanation (Globals) in CustomAssets\XML.

I've even tried unpacking FPK's, but I guess I'm not getting all the files needed that way.

I'm sure I've just frustrated myself into overlooking something simple. I hope this is broke down enough that someone can see where I'm missing out. I tried following Jancsika's steps and still CTDed.

Thanks in advance...Frustrated......

Yes I have patch 1.10 and no holiday scenerio.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Thu May 21, 2009 1:13 pm

It is difficult to find the error this way. If you can zip up your project and upload it here or PM it to me, I will be happy to look it over.
Since you seem to know what you are doing it is probably a minor oversight with major consequences.
Just don't give up. Please.
Jancsika :wink:

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Thu May 21, 2009 2:51 pm

The best way I found is to add one item at a time. Start with one industry, whatever goods it uses/makes...then whatever train cars.
Then as you get one working add another. Placing several in the lists at one time makes it hard to wade through everything.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Fri May 22, 2009 1:40 pm

I have posted a small guide how to make SAM type maps, Take a took at it:
http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... =42&t=3378

Jancsika

RockyNarrowGauge

Post by RockyNarrowGauge » Fri May 22, 2009 3:25 pm

I am playing with a map also. I found two possible things that will cause a CTD. If you change the name of a industry that is outside of the town you have to change the name of the annex in the RRT_Depot.xml also. And you have to be careful about changing the names of the goods. You have to watch the spelling!

If you want some changes in the icons or the BBs, you might want to ask over on this forum - http://eric.bkbobby.com/ They are making a lot of new stuff over there.

I can't wait to see this map, those goods flows sound neat!