Changing Scenario Start Dates?

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
DorianGray

Changing Scenario Start Dates?

Post by DorianGray » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:33 am

How do you mod a scenario to start earlier like in 1821?

I change the numbers in the RRT_scenario_User file with iStartEra EndEra line but it doesn't work. Only the starting up window shows it but in the actual game it still starts from the original date the scenario was designed for. Any ideas?

Star Ranger4

Re: Changing Scenario Start Dates?

Post by Star Ranger4 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:06 pm

There are actually two places where era data is set, IIRC... the first is in the scenario data, but there is a second xml called eras that defines more data about each 'era'. Its possible that that is overiding your era dates in the scenario.

you should be able to copy the default to your scenario directory, renaming it to match, and then change the pointer in your scenario file to say use the scenaro eras file instead of the default.

DorianGray

Post by DorianGray » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:16 am

how do I access the second xml?

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:25 am

DorianGray wrote:How do you mod a scenario to start earlier like in 1821?

I change the numbers in the RRT_scenario_User file with iStartEra EndEra line but it doesn't work. Only the starting up window shows it but in the actual game it still starts from the original date the scenario was designed for. Any ideas?
Probably need the date changed on the Trains.xml

<szName>TAG_NAME_PLANET</szName>
<Year>1828</Year> change 1828 to 1821 that so you have a train for the year or it wont run as there are no trains. No guaranty that it will work though it might be hard coded in the game to not to run before 1828.

DorianGray

Post by DorianGray » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:23 pm

I'll try that - didn;t work.

For more clarification I'm sure some of you are running this map. Its the LARGE UK MAP (UKLargeMP) downloaded off this site in the maps section.

Great map but years go by too fast, so I wanted to start in 21 since I really enjoy the 19th century time period of rails.

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:33 pm

DorianGray wrote:I'll try that - didn;t work.

For more clarification I'm sure some of you are running this map. Its the LARGE UK MAP (UKLargeMP) downloaded off this site in the maps section.

Great map but years go by too fast, so I wanted to start in 21 since I really enjoy the 19th century time period of rails.
Just Put this Into the scenario After the <MapSize>15</MapSize> it will slow the time down a lot
<iTurnsPerMonth>128</iTurnsPerMonth>

DorianGray

Post by DorianGray » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:52 am

ah, sweet. I guess that's a nice alternative.

Could it literally be any number or just 128?

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:12 am

DorianGray wrote:ah, sweet. I guess that's a nice alternative.

I think 128 is about the best to use. you double or divide the number by 2 so it goes the lower the number the faster time goes the higher the number the slower it goes as far as i know 128 is the highest you can use.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:12 pm

I remember when I first started testing a large map I made...I set the time to 512. :lol: One game year took an hour of game play. :D I thought that was cool, but the game never advances much... :lol: trains lasted forever.

Bunit

Post by Bunit » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:24 am

vzbob wrote:
DorianGray wrote:ah, sweet. I guess that's a nice alternative.

I think 128 is about the best to use. you double or divide the number by 2 so it goes the lower the number the faster time goes the higher the number the slower it goes as far as i know 128 is the highest you can use.
This is a neat idea i just used it and played for hours certainly helps meeting the goals..